Limon banana plantations no longer open to the public?

Cafabi

• 4 weeks later...

I saw that, too, which was why it didn't make sense to me. These were independent tour guides who told me this (several, in fact.) I wonder if Princess has some special arrangement and doesn't fall under "public."

I saw that, too, which was why it didn't make sense to me. These were independent tour guides who told me this (several, in fact.) I wonder if Princess has some special arrangement and doesn't fall under "public."

We are cruising the end of this month. I have a tour booked with Oscar Brown and they have not told me that we will not be going to the Banana Plantation. It's in my tour package.

This is the tour we are booked for.

our # 4. Jaguar Rescue Center & #1 (Tortuguero Canal) tour (Combine tour)

As we combine the Jaguar Rescue Center, along with the Tortuguero Canal tour, you have the opportunity to enjoy more of our beautiful country.

We start by taking you to the Jaguar Center. This Center is a non-profit, humane-society organization in Puerto Viejo of Limon, Costa Rica. They are dedicated to recover maltreated, hurt, in poor health or abandoned animals, which once reestablish, are then reintroduced to their natural environment in protected areas.

When you get there, you will have direct contact, and will be able to spend time up close and personal with howler monkeys, wild cats, sloths, raccoons, reptiles, etc. You can also observe all the venomous snakes of Costa Rica which are housed in terrariums (cage) imitating their natural habitat. The best thing here is to cuddle a baby sloth; they also allowed young howler monkeys to dance across your heads and shoulders, while you hold it.

With your visit you will get a unique experience to interact with Costa Rica’s wild and timed animals and help a valuable cause. This place is located in the South side from the pier. We’ll get you there as little as 45 minutes.

We include our complementary stops, such as: the banana plantation, life style of the country side, and the option of one beach stop (black sand beach or a white sand beach) we offer time beach (you can walk on the beach or take a dip in the water).

The II part of this tour, takes you to the Tortuguero Canal ride. This is a tour through the rain forest, where as you go comfortable seated in a boat with cover, to protect you from the sun or the rain. On the way you will see all wild life: alligator, monkeys, slots, different type of birds. This tour goes for approximately 6 to 7 hours. Soft drinks and complementary lunch are included.

Edited by lillulu

Thanks for the info. I saw some independent tours which advertised the banana plantation, but was told only after I inquired that it was just a photo stop and not a visit inside. The shore excursion shown by the cruise line clearly shows people going inside. I guess I will press the issue when I get there and ask for an explanation as to why the cruise tours can go but not independent guides. Insurance maybe? I will keep trying to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks for the info. I saw some independent tours which advertised the banana plantation, but was told only after I inquired that it was just a photo stop and not a visit inside. The shore excursion shown by the cruise line clearly shows people going inside. I guess I will press the issue when I get there and ask for an explanation as to why the cruise tours can go but not independent guides. Insurance maybe? I will keep trying to get to the bottom of this.

At the end of the last cruise ship season, the company "Del Monte" banned the entry to the packing house. to independent tours operators and also to the tours from The ship . Now the shore excursion from the ship is doing with the company "Dole" this company does not want to give permission to independent operators tours

Thanks, Masaya. I don't want to take the shore excursion through the ship because we will be there on Saturday, Dec. 24. I know there will be no activity due to the weekend/holiday so I don't want to pay without getting the full experience. Maybe next time...