Mitsugirlys FASCINATION with San Juan-review & pictorial

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:33 AM.
CT
109 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
Great review so far Kim! Glad to hear your son is doing ok.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2017 Carnival Liberty Orlando~ Nassau~ Freeport
2016 Carnival Sunshine NYC~ Bermuda
2015 Carnival Valor Orlando~ Nassau~ St. Thomas~ San Juan~ Grand Turk
2015 Carnival Sunshine Orlando~ Cozumel~ Roatan~ Belize~ Costa Maya
2014 Carnival Paradise Tampa~ Cozumel
OH
24,074 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by aztekpm
Still here and unashamedly clicking refresh. Love your reviews for their honesty, warts and all Nothing is perfect, but a balanced view is refreshing and frankly, is real life!
LOL, that cracked me up! Glad you're still here.

Originally posted by swodog94
Awesome so far! I'm not a fan of the much older ships so I'm looking fwd to seeing how this all pans out! I've got to say that you and your tribe have the same attitude my wife and I have...we're on a cruise and you have to (literally) TRY to ruin it for us, otherwise we're gonna have a great time!
Yea, this was definitely a cruise that was picked for the ports and not the ship. We didn't mind the ship at all. There was very little time spent on it, but what time we did spend on it, we enjoyed. Easy to navigate and it never felt very crowded.
OH
24,074 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by jamona2311
I'm still here as well! Wouldn't miss it for the world!
Thanks for sticking around.

Originally posted by perfect match
Glad your son is going to be OK. Guess his accident could have been a lot worse than it was, although it certainly was bad enough!

I enjoyed the ship's tour. I love to see the interiors of all the different ships.

Now, on to my favorite part of your reviews - the ports!
Yea, I hate to see my kids hurt but gotta admit, seeing his finger tore up and the bone sticking out makes me miss my days in the ER!!

The ports=my favorite too!
OH
24,074 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by tgirl25
Following
Thanks for being here.

Originally posted by cocacola86
Loved your review, my DW and I did this same intenary on the Valor. Only complaint i had was we checked in early dropped our luggage off, than they couldn't find our luggage till about 10pm than later on we were in the elevator and we found our luggage tag. On a good note they had one of the best strawberry cheesecake and after two years we still can't find as good as the one on the Valor.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app
I almost did the Valor from here 2 years ago for my Spring Break cruise and everyone here talked me into the Pride out of Baltimore. It was a great cruise and I got to do a couple of new ports for us that time.

I have only had our luggage missing once and that was scary.
Memphis, TN
2,046 Posts
Joined Jul 2002
Originally posted by mitsugirly

Rich Little Piggies !!!

I spent WAY too much money on those machines many years ago but haven't seen one in ages. Would love to run across one on my upcoming Dream cruise!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carl

Puerto Rico
920 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
This ice cream guy went up and down the beach all day. He didn't bother anyone and just rang his bell. Like I said, it was HOT out. I can't believe that having the ice cream in a cooler thing like that actually keeps it from melting in this weather. I mean it should be ok for a little while, but I wouldn't think it would last long.

The little "secret" to the non-melting ice cream is that it's not really ice cream. It's more like a sherbet. Usually they have coconut, passion fruit and either pineapple or a mix or two of the three flavors. Also, inside, the cart is a huge block of ice. They are filled with water (not completely as to give some space for expansion) and they are put in huge freezers overnight so the water inside freezes and that is what keeps the sherbets from melting. They are also insulated so the ice inside the cart doesn't melt as fast during the day.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Fascination Southern Caribbean review Oct 16-23, 2016: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2428818

Carnival Liberty Southern Caribbean Aug. 2-9, 2015: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2261918

Carnival Valor Sept. 14-21, 2014 Review:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...91ca&t=2108828

Virginia
3,920 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Thank you for all of your pictures of Fascination. As you are already aware, I LOVE this itinerary and would love to do it again. There has been a lot of griping about Fascination, an older and smaller ship, put on the southern itinerary out of San Juan. I will admit, I was disappointed myself and also questioned that move. After seeing your pictures, I actually like what I'm seeing...Fascination is a beautiful ship!!! Jamman54 also had some great pictures of the inside of Fascination as well, but this was before she was moved to the southern itinerary out of San Juan and before I had real interest in her, so I'll be heading back to his review too.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

CARNIVAL LIBERTY - September 20 - 27, 2015 (Southern Caribbean: San Juan, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, San Juan); LIBERTY 2015 REVIEW: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2275573
CARNIVAL LIBERTY - April 5 - 12, 2014 (Western Caribbean: Miami, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman...missed port, Miami); LIBERTY 2014 REVIEW: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2039919
CARNIVAL VALOR - May 5 - 12, 2013 (Southern Caribbean: San Juan, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, San Juan); VALOR 2013 REVIEW: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1917645
CARNIVAL GLORY - May 9 - 16, 2010 (Eastern Caribbean: Miami, HMC Bahamas, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk, Miami)
CARNIVAL MIRACLE - March 12 - 19, 2006 (Western Caribbean: Tampa, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya, Tampa)
Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas - January 16 - 23, 2000 (Mexican Riviera: Los Angeles, Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Los Angeles)
CARNIVAL FESTIVALE - June 14 - 21, 1992 (Southern Caribbean: San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Dominica, Barbados, Martinique, San Juan)

Denton, TX USA
287 Posts
Joined Aug 2003
It's a rainbow!!!

OMG - I didn't even see it until you circled and pointed it out! :O Now I can't see anything but the rainbow! Beautiful!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
<.><.><.><.><.><.><.><.><.><.><.><.><.><.><.><.><. ><.><.><.><.>

<º))))><.·´¯`·. Marcia .·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

1/14 Carnival Sunshine (W. Caribbean); 1/09 Carnival Liberty (E. Caribbean); 1/08 Carnival Fascination (W. Caribbean); 11/06 Carnival Destiny (S. Caribbean); 11/03 Island Princess (Panama Canal); 1/03 Carnival Celebration (W. Caribbean); 12/00 Carnival Inspiration (W. Caribbean); 3/00 Dawn Princess (E. Caribbean); 6/94 Carnival Festivale (S. Caribbean)
NoVA
1,249 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by pghsteelerfan
Thank you for all of your pictures of Fascination. As you are already aware, I LOVE this itinerary and would love to do it again. There has been a lot of griping about Fascination, an older and smaller ship, put on the southern itinerary out of San Juan. I will admit, I was disappointed myself and also questioned that move. After seeing your pictures, I actually like what I'm seeing...Fascination is a beautiful ship!!! Jamman54 also had some great pictures of the inside of Fascination as well, but this was before she was moved to the southern itinerary out of San Juan and before I had real interest in her, so I'll be heading back to his review too.
I'll be going in 2018 with some friends, feel free to crash our party!

Looking forward to my first time on a Fantasy Class!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Liberty 2/18/12 -Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Glory 12/9/12 -Western Caribbean
RCI Independence of the Seas 2/24/13 -Western Caribbean
Carnival Valor 12/1/13 -Southern Caribbean Photo Review
Carnival Victory 3/31/14 -Eastern Caribbean Photo Review
Carnival Splendor 11/1/14 -Southern Caribbean, Repositioning Photo Review
Carnival Breeze 3/28/15 -Southern Caribbean Photo Review (links)
Carnival Liberty 11/1/15 -Southern Caribbean Photo Review (links)
RCI Navigator of the Seas 1/17/16 -Western Caribbean Photo Review (links)
Carnival Pride 9/18/16 - Bermuda
Carnival Vista 10/11/16 - Mediterranean
Carnival Pride 1/2/17 - Baltimore to Tampa "Journey"
MSC Poesia 3/11/17 - Southern Caribbean
UPCOMING:

-Carnival Fascination - 4/22/18 - 7 Day Southern Caribbean
-MSC Preziosa - 12/8/18 - 7 Day Southern Caribbean
MD+ FL
10,641 Posts
Joined Mar 2002
Well, I just got a text that my oldest son is in the ER with a dirt bike accident. I'm going to take a break and try to figure out what is going on.

While I'm gone...let me know what you want next

1) The full ship tour
2) Me to finish out our day then the ship tour.

I hope this isn't serious and he will be okay.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
cool:Carol KC
Charter Member MFPPP - 2006
MOS/WGIG #104

Friend of Henry

NCL Leeward to Canada,RCL Song of America to Bermuda,HAL Veendam to Eastern Caribbean,HAL Statendam to Southern Carribbean,NCL Norweigan Crown to Bermuda,HAL Veendam to Western Caribbean,NCL Wind to Alaska,Orient Lines Orient Crown to Mediterranean,NCL Sky to Alaska,Celebrity Zenith to Caribbean,HAL Noordam to Exotic Caribbean,Celebrity Galaxy B2B Baltimore to Galveston, Sun Princess to Caribbean Oct 29,05, RCL Jewel of the Seas Transatlantic Apr.30,06, Carnival Liberty Mediterranean Oct, 06RCL Radiance of the Seas Circle Hawaii Sept 28,2007, Mustard of the Seas F2F Chicago July 25,2008,Monarch of the Seas, LA to Mex. Sept. 8, 2008, Celebrity Constellation, Repo NJ to FL Oct 30, 2008,
RCI Enchantment of the Seas, Colon Panama to Ft. Lauderdale, April 19, 2009Majesty of the Seas, Dec. 14th, 2009
Radiance of the Seas, Mexican Riviera, Feb.12, 2010
Emerald Princess, Southern Caribbean, Oct. 29, 2010
Majesty of the Seas, Dec. 12, 2011, bahamas
Explorer of the Seas to Bermuda, Oct.2013
Celebrity Century to the Caribbean, 2/15/14-2/23/14]Carnival Dream Jan. 14, 2016- Jan.24. CaribbeanNavigator of the Seas Jan. 29, 2017 Caribbean
Tallahassee , FL
14,535 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Kim,

Hoping your son is okay. Great review so far, but care of family comes first.

From off the grid for 100 hours in Florida....Crew.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Costa Maya/Mahahual Malecon Beach Clubs and Maps (posts 26-36)

Carnival Inspiration, January 2006
Carnival Sensation, February 2007
Carnival
Carnival Legend, May 2009
Carnival Dream, January 2010
Carnival Dream, May 2010
Carnival Dream, June 2011
Carnival Liberty April 2012
Carnival Breeze, November 2012
Carnival Valor,January, 2016
Carnival,Vista,January,2017
OH
24,074 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by NightOne
Rich Little Piggies !!!

I spent WAY too much money on those machines many years ago but haven't seen one in ages. Would love to run across one on my upcoming Dream cruise!
I wish I would have known to play it. I didn't even try. Fun game?

Originally posted by Stinger-pr
The little "secret" to the non-melting ice cream is that it's not really ice cream. It's more like a sherbet. Usually they have coconut, passion fruit and either pineapple or a mix or two of the three flavors. Also, inside, the cart is a huge block of ice. They are filled with water (not completely as to give some space for expansion) and they are put in huge freezers overnight so the water inside freezes and that is what keeps the sherbets from melting. They are also insulated so the ice inside the cart doesn't melt as fast during the day.
Thanks for the info. That makes sense then. I thought maybe he came from the building selling food there and would go back and forth with un-melted ice cream.
OH
24,074 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by pghsteelerfan
You are welcome. Honestly, I'm not sure why anyone would gripe about putting an older ship on that itinerary. It makes perfect sense to me since it's so port intensive that people probably aren't sailing it for the ship. If it was on one of the 3 or 4 day itineraries with more time to spend on the ship, and there were several options of ships to pick from, people would probably pick a newer one, therefore leaving this ship not filled. Just my opinion of course. But you put that ship there, were that's your only choice on a favorite itinerary, it becomes a money maker no matter what. I think it's the perfect ship and size for PR.

Honestly, the inside is not that bad. Like I said, a little dated, but still nice. They keep her in tip top shape and very clean. I wouldn't hesitate booking it again...only I don't book the same ship, so I'll look for another, but would look for another in the same class ship, if it had the itinerary I wanted, and I wouldn't have a problem with it at all.

Originally posted by marcia014
OMG - I didn't even see it until you circled and pointed it out! :O Now I can't see anything but the rainbow! Beautiful!!!

OH
24,074 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by CAC104
I hope this isn't serious and he will be okay.
Originally posted by crewsweeper
Kim,

Hoping your son is okay. Great review so far, but care of family comes first.

From off the grid for 100 hours in Florida....Crew.

Yep, he's fine (reported earlier the details).

(Copied and pasted from earlier because it's early in the morning (for me) right now and that's easier than typing.

He ended up breaking a finger, which went through his nail and the nail and skin around it completely bent back and was hanging. They had to remove the nail, clean it out (they sent momma tons of pictures along the way because they know I like that kinda stuff) and you could see the exposed bone. They ended up sewing his old nail back on and putting it back into the cuticle and said it would eventually grow back and push the dead nail out. I guess the reason behind putting the nail back on was since the bone was exposed, they wanted it covered so that it didn't get infected. They wanted to put a cast on it, but he refused and it was wrapped and splinted. About 4 months ago he broke his hand (same place I did on my 2010 cruise) and he cut the cast off in a week. He's stubborn
OH
24,074 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
DAY 2: ST THOMAS!!

So I have been here a few times and have loved everything we have done (Sapphire, Coki) and wanted something different...although it was super hard not to want to return to Coki after the awesome snorkeling last time. I have seriously never seen all of the brightly colored coral anywhere like there was there. But, I like to experience new things each time...so I went in with an open mind.

The great people here on cc recommended Lindquist. So that's where we are going. It's a protected 21 acre area at Smith Bay Park. You can see St John across the water from there and it's a nice view. They have showers and restrooms, but no vending there. There are picnic benches and plenty of grape trees lining the beach for shade. It sounded perfect! It does come with a price tag though (and a small one, but worth it) of $5 for adults to get in and children under 13 are free.

I set my alarm for 6:45am and got up and showered. We headed up to breakfast and I was kind of shocked that there really weren't any lines or many people out and about. We decided to eat breakfast outside by the pool instead of inside at the buffet.

Kendra didn't come alive until around 7:30am and cracked my whip and told her she is about to get left if she didn't hurry and eat. It was almost 8am!

We had been docked for awhile and we were just waiting on the announcement that we could get off the ship...which never came.

Everything looked dead out there so far.

I was peeking over the edge and seen that people were getting off. It was around 8:10 and we decided to head back to the room and grab our beach bags and see if we could get off. (I would find out later that day that we actually arrived and could get off the ship at 7am and I had completely forgotten. Oops).

Salad Bowl Capital of the World
109 Posts
Joined May 2016
I'm so excited to continue reading your review. They are so great. You inspire me for my first cruise review! Leaving for my first cruise in 15 days!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lala
OH
24,074 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
We were off the ship and the paparazzi was in full force:

There really weren't too many people out and about.

So we headed toward the shopping mall.

OH
24,074 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Since we knew that Lindquist didn't have vendors, we would need to grab something to take with us to the beach for lunch. Once again, the wonderful people on cc told me about a deli that would make fresh subs. Only, I forgot to write down the deli's name so that I could ask where it was at. We would wander around trying to find it on our own, looking like obvious lost tourist.

I knew it was somewhere in these buildings. We stopped to ask several people along the way about the "deli" and they told us "go down there and it's at the end"...nope! "Turn that way and it's over there"...nope! They had pointed us to a "deli" vendor, not the grocery store type of deli we were looking for. It was hard to explain what I needed and there didn't seem to be anyone that knew what I was talking about. If someone would just SAY THE NAME, I would remember.

After walking down several rows of buildings a taxi driver ask if we needed a ride (as several did along our way). One last try to see if he would understand what we were looking for...and HE DID! Pointed us in the right direction and said if we needed a taxi to Lindquist (I had told him where we were going AFTER we could get food), then he would be waiting on us.

FOUND IT!!!

We took a look around. It was like a mini-grocery store.

Big mistake to allow B with a cart. I had to scold him several times for taking off...of course Sakari lost her mind once again and was in the cart while he pushed her around the store like he was Jeff Gordan. Geesh! We honestly can't take him anywhere.

In trouble by mamaw and not happy about it.

They give you a note pad with the choices and you circle what you want on there and they make your sub.

I believe our subs were around $9.75 each. So kinda expensive, but it would have to do. Kendra grabbed some chips and pop and we checked out and put everything in my 2 coolers I had brought, full of ice and out we went.