Disembarking in Vancouver

PinkFloydActuary

Sorry, folks - I've tried reading as many threads on this as possible, but I still am not certain what to do. We're cruising for the first time next summer, and I'm not used to having so much time to sweat all the details :)

We'll be disembarking off the Star Princess on a Saturday morning (7:30am). It looks like there is a flight from YVR to Chicago that departs at 1:41 pm. Judging from other threads, this should be enough time? It will be my wife and two tweens. Should I dismiss the cruise transfer to the airport as an option? I think that's probably the most expensive option, but I'd like to go with the easiest, least stress-free option here.

Thanks in advance. I'm really stoked about this trip - I have spent A LOT of time reading here - this is a really great community.

A 1:41 p.m. flight should be an easy one to make. IMO, a cab will be the easiest way to get to YVR. It should run about 30-40 CDN and all cabs will take credit cards.

You will be charged in USA currency by your credit card company. Depending on the exchange rate, your actual fare might be 5-10 dollars cheaper. The ride from Canada Place to YVR via cab takes about 30 minutes. An alternative would be the rail. Cheaper than a cab, but not necessarily easier.

I being from Vancouver will tell you that the best way to get to the airport from the cruise terminal will be the sky train. Even though it is not a sky train as it is all underground from downtown Vancouver until very close to the airport where it becomes a sky train, it is the easiest, cheaper and faster way to get to the airport. You will not have to deal with any traffic or crazy taxi driver and just get to the airport in about 30 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have done this trip 5 times now. So easy to take the SkyTrain. A 10 minute walk from the cruise port, straight to the airport. $6.25 for 1 senior hubby and me. Fabulous airport, lots of great shops and the US dollar's strength makes for some great buys, you have.

Plenty of time. We had a leisurely breakfast on board, left the boat at 9:30 using self-assist walking off and got to our gate by 11:15 for a 1:15 flight, giving me time for a massage! Immigration line moves fast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I like the Canada Line without luggage..... with luggage... I prefer the $35 taxi carload for door to door service.

Canada Line does not depart from the cruise terminal. You need to drag your luggage 3 blocks to the subway entrance. Then you need to figure out how to use the ticket machines. That adds 10 minutes to 25 minute subway ride.

Unless you are arriving July 1st 2017.... I don't expect traffic congestion for the taxi in the morning to the airport.

The taxi shows off the city vistas..... preferable to a dark tunnel.

@pinkfloydactuary: What day are you debarking? Need to factor in how many cruise ships are arriving that day. It can get ugly on a 3 ship day.

Edited by xlxo

^You must be going at the wrong times Coral - there are many reasons YVR has won the best airport in North America award (for now SEVEN years in a row and counting, with nobody else even looking close to making enough improvements to knock it off the top spot any time soon). The only reason it gets really busy is all those damn cruisers dumb enough to fly home right after they arrive!!! ;-)

OP - all the above info is valid, you have plenty of time to take any method you wish, and while SkyTrain to the airport is always cheaper than a cab (no extra fee for outbound travel), just getting in a cab is definitely going to be simpler. If you have the budget for a cruiseline transfer, seriously consider booking a limo instead - for four of you it's cheaper even if you take the $50 extra 'meet & greet' service and should also reduce any anxiety for you if you know a car and driver are waiting.

Of course the best thing to do is stay on in Vancouver for a few days or weeks then get a nice early flight that leaves before any of those other inconsiderate cruisers can get off their ships in the morning!

martincath I am amazed that Vancouver would be considered the best airport in North America. With all due respect we love Vancouver but as to the airport if it is considered the best airport that is not saying much about North America. At least the area that we fly out of from Canada to the USA was not at all impressive.

Keith

Sorry, folks - I've tried reading as many threads on this as possible, but I still am not certain what to do. We're cruising for the first time next summer, and I'm not used to having so much time to sweat all the details :)

We'll be disembarking off the Star Princess on a Saturday morning (7:30am). It looks like there is a flight from YVR to Chicago that departs at 1:41 pm. Judging from other threads, this should be enough time? It will be my wife and two tweens. Should I dismiss the cruise transfer to the airport as an option? I think that's probably the most expensive option, but I'd like to go with the easiest, least stress-free option here.

Thanks in advance. I'm really stoked about this trip - I have spent A LOT of time reading here - this is a really great community.

First of all, I would like to WELCOME you to Cruise Critic! :)

It's good to have you here!

Your flight time is very doable.

The immigrations/customs line at the airport can be jammed up with multiple hundreds of people, and the line can move slow.

I would recommend that you plan to depart the ship early.

hand carrying your luggage as you depart that morning isn't necessary.

Take a cab.

Easy, quick and no stress.

Plan for a long line at the airport and then you will have plenty of time to work with.

Having stress at the airport after an amazing cruise is NO FUN.

Welcome again!

martincath I am amazed that Vancouver would be considered the best airport in North America. With all due respect we love Vancouver but as to the airport if it is considered the best airport that is not saying much about North America. At least the area that we fly out of from Canada to the USA was not at all impressive.

Keith

Certainly compared to the really swank Asian airports it's relatively sucky, but compared to all the US airports I've had to endure it kicks ass in all aspects except the lack of a 'same price as downtown' guarantee in restaurants. Plenty of seating, nice art, some beautiful public spaces, many eateries pre- and post-security.

Given how many different organizations that rely on industry experts, frequent travelers, aircrew etc. etc. etc. for opinions who consistently rate it the best on the continent (Google it and several different organizations pop up, all saying pretty much the same thing) I feel the likeliest cause for complaints are down to US-bound folks who (perhaps subconsciously) blame the 'extra' queue time at YVR for CBP preclearance without considering how much longer it would take if that was done at a US airport on arrival instead.

I feel the likeliest cause for complaints are down to US-bound folks who (perhaps subconsciously) blame the 'extra' queue time at YVR for CBP preclearance without considering how much longer it would take if that was done at a US airport on arrival instead.

Well - since I am US Bound, this probably involves my experience. I have stood in lines for what feels like hours to get through Customs and Immigration (yes I know this is probably beyond airports control but it affects my opinion of the airport). Very understaffed. Even the airlines are understaffed before I get to the lines.

Then I get to the terminal and am blocked from some restaurants due to incoming flights. I agree with Keith, the terminal where I get my US flight is not something to brag about.

I usually fly into Vancouver and spend time before my trip, not usually after.

They need serious extra staffing on cruise days or should I say during the summer months as I am often flying in on non cruise days.

I guess I will probably never fly into or out of Vancouver with out Customs and Immigration so I won't see how great the airport is. Maybe flying within Canada it is superior.

Edited by Coral

That is more than enough time. Recently had an 11:45 flight from Vancouver and we were at the airport 2 hours before the flight. We did book the airfare thru Princess which was competitive with my own research. Transfers were thru Costco/Princess and there were more than enough airport staff to send you in the right direction.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy the Sky Train tickets in advance? We will be in Vancouver the day before our cruise and was hoping I could buy the tickets to use after the cruise, to get back to the airport.

Nope - tickets are validated as they're printed, so only good for 90mins from purchase to boarding. You could acquire a Compass Pass (the reloadable one) and then just tap that and get on after the cruise, but the minimum price would be $6pp (one-way to YVR is only $4 or $2.75pp so you'd be wasting a good chunk of the purchase price).

The new machines are even more user-friendly than the old ones though, so if you're worried about the delay buying a ticket it will be just a couple of minutes, especially if you do a 'test purchase' on your time pre-cruise to see how the screens flow. You'll walk right past the machines on the way in to Waterfront so it's not like you have to worry about going out of your way to find a CVM...