Beware ! Cashless Toll Roads in Florida

Arnold Don

Some good info in this thread, but most of it concerns rental cars. What about those of us driving our own vehicles to Port Canaveral just for a cruise and then back home? And NO, before you make assumptions, there are NO toll roads anywhere near where I live. Tolls are new to me.

The only thing I'm concerned about is being unfamiliar with the roads (first trip to Port Canaveral) and getting in one of the wrong lanes by accident. So if I'm understanding all this correctly, any toll road WILL have a pay-as-you-go option along with a Sunpass/automated option? So if I avoid Sunpass/cashless/whatever I should be okay in my own vehicle (NOT a rental) and will find a way to pay cash to continue?

Also what do they accept in tender? Bills, coins only, exact change, debit card swipes -- asking because again, I have no experience with toll roads.

Thanks in advance for civil answers. :o

From Tennesee no toll roads. 75 10 295 95 are all toll free.

Anyone know how much the shipping is to order the Sunpass shipped to Canada? I'm flying into Miami and cruising out of Fort Lauderdale. Not sure if I will have time to pick up a Sunpass when I arrive at night andthe cruise is the next day. I'm hanging around in the FL and MIA area for 6 days after the cruise so imagine I may need the toll roads.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Southnam, I got hit with charges from tolls when I had a rental so I bought a Sunpass and it goes with me every time I fly to Florida. I bought mine at a Publix and I see CVS sells them. Maybe you could pick one up from either of these places. It just a Peace of mind having one.

Thanks for the info. We will be driving our own vehicle & must go to Orlando airport to pick up family members that will be joining us on the cruise.

The stick on transponder sounds perfect for us.

We will purchase this & activate several days before needing it.

Thanks for the info. We will be driving our own vehicle & must go to Orlando airport to pick up family members that will be joining us on the cruise.

The stick on transponder sounds perfect for us.

We will purchase this & activate several days before needing it.

A correction, just in case you are looking at my earlier post about the Sunpass sticky. Captain BJ pointed out to me, and I agree with him, that the $4.99 toll credit promotion when purchasing a sticky transponder, is no longer available. Sorry for the wrong info. I truly had not checked it in a while.

Cheers.

Does anyone know the shipping cost. I'd much rather have it beforehand as I land late at night.

According to the official website (https://www.sunpass.com/sunPassRetailers) it looks like they can only be purchased in Florida.

Purchasing a
SunPass Mini transponder
or
Portable transponder
is easy because they are available at over 3,100 retail locations throughout the state. Retailers include Publix Super Markets, CVS Pharmacy stores, Walgreens,
and
offices in Florida. They can also be purchased at
and
in Broward and Miami-Dade Counties. Transponders are available at all Turnpike service plazas, Turnpike gas stations and SunPass Service Centers.

You can also
in many Florida counties.

According to the official website (https://www.sunpass.com/sunPassRetailers) it looks like they can only be purchased in Florida.

Purchasing a
SunPass Mini transponder
or
Portable transponder
is easy because they are available at over 3,100 retail locations throughout the state. Retailers include Publix Super Markets, CVS Pharmacy stores, Walgreens,
and
offices in Florida. They can also be purchased at
and
in Broward and Miami-Dade Counties. Transponders are available at all Turnpike service plazas, Turnpike gas stations and SunPass Service Centers.

You can also
in many Florida counties.

According to https://www.sunpass.com/selectAcceptAgreementPurchaseTransponder.action it looks like you can order it.

Can anyone gotten a Sunpass transponder to use in rental cars as an international (Canadian) resident? Will I be able to set up the account and use a Canadian credit card to load money onto it?

You can buy a transponder, and set up your account, and activate your transponder from your smart phone even. Can't be any easier. As for the Canadian CC, I leave that to another Canadian that may have experienced that. I can't tell you if it will work. Let me ask you, can you use your Canadian CC in US stores?? If so, I do not see why the SPass will not honor it.

Good luck to you.

Cheers.

You can buy a transponder, and set up your account, and activate your transponder from your smart phone even. Can't be any easier. As for the Canadian CC, I leave that to another Canadian that may have experienced that. I can't tell you if it will work. Let me ask you, can you use your Canadian CC in US stores?? If so, I do not see why the SPass will not honor it.

Good luck to you.

Cheers.

We have friends of ours that live in England ( UK) and we purchased a Sunpass for them & I shipped it too them, and then I got coupons to put money on their account and they didn't want them as they say they use their CC to replenish their account, but for Canada I am not sure.

If you find out let us know - Good luck.

I ordered a SunPass quite easily online from my home in Colorado. The suction cup transponder is sitting on my kitchen table for our Christmas trip between Miami and Orlando. The ordering page asks if you will be using it with a rental car, and I have already put toll money on it--just need to add the rental car's license plate when I know it.

Edited by LadyShiva

If you rent a car , I take it they do not have a transponder and the charges are by the license plate?

I seem to remember renting a car in Orlando (at least 5 years ago) and being told to turn off the transponder if paying cash at the toll booths. Was thinking about buying a transponder , but how does it work if the rental car has a transponder?

Let me ask you, can you use your Canadian CC in US stores?? If so, I do not see why the SPass will not honor it.

The issue with the credit cards is usually with any payment system that requires a zip code to be entered as a security feature. Without a zip code, the card won't work, and Canadians have postal codes with alternating letters and numbers instead of a zip code with numbers only. For example, I usually have trouble paying at the pump at gas stations and have to go in to the cashier to use my credit card.

When you set up the Sunpass account, is there a country option on the address screen or is it locked in for US addresses only? That's usually an easy way to tell...

I have a portable sun pass transponder for when I visit Florida. I set up my account using my Canadian visa I have never had any problem. When I change vehicles I just go into my account on line and enter the new license plate. I set up my account so that it is automatically replenished from my credit card.

As for using a Canadian credit card at gas stations or other places that need a zip code, just use the three numbers in your Canadian postal code followed by two zeros. For example if your postal code is N6H 5E9, you would show your Zip as 65900

Hope this helps

Is there a shipping cost though?

If you begin an order on the website, it will show you all the charges, including shipping, before you do the final authorization to buy the Sunpass.

If you don't like the amount just close the webpage. Don't submit the order.

We have driven the Dolphin Expressway via Sixt's express toll service (which I think is Toll By Plate mass contract because they don't use a transponder).

Sixt has a great blog about it, was usefull to us before we started renting cars in FL (3 times, 4th coming up); http://www.sixtblog.com/travel-advice/florida-toll-roads/

Not spamming Sixt but I really like their carefree system, would recommend!

I am so pleased I read this today!

We have booked a car on-line with Sixt as we are driving from Miami to Boca Raton after our cruise in November and then back to Miami airport 3 days later.

It hadn't even occurred to us that toll roads would be a problem.

So I'm assuming we should pay the $7.99 a day Toll Service that Sixt offer when we pick up our car.

Which lane do we then use on the toll roads? And will the $7.99 per day be our only charge?

Just got slapped with an additional $152 bill from Dollar Rent a Car for a violation on Florida State Road 874, which I just discovered is a "Cashless Toll Road" Have never heard of anything like that where I live in California!

This is a road from Miami going south towards the Keys or Everglades National Park. There are no toll booths, they were removed in July 2010. This must be a great money maker for the State of Florida, praying on unsuspecting Visitors unaware that there are even such roads. We stopped every time there was a toll booth on the Florida Turnpike, but this road 874 is a short connector to the turnpike from a free road to the Turnpike! What a ripoff!! Has anyone experienced this and got a refund from the State of Florida?

Don

Yeah you have to watch out for the rental agency, they want you to pay $8/day or more for that reason. They fear you into it, they will not tell you which roads are unmanned. I bought a portable Sun Pass. I keep it in my cruise bag and bring it with me every time we are in Florida. I hope this helps.