Car rental at Port Everglades

windsurferfirst

As Port Everglades is a large port, with many terminals, spread over a big area, the automatic answer has to be no.

A quick search of the board would reveal where the close rental car sites are, but none on on the port property. The airport is a very quick taxi ride away.

Courtesy member MADflyer, with my own notes included:

Only Alamo/National shuttle between the airport and the pier. Must show reservation receipt to board shuttle. I use a big box store website and they often have incredible rates.

Other companies with off-airport sites include

Hertz from Crown Plaza Hotel

Avis from Hyatt Pier 66

Budget on 17th in shopping center next to Renaissance Hotel

Sixt further up 17th.

Thrifty/Dollar just out western port exit.

BUT, as Bruce said Port Everglades is a huge industrial working port. I would not be walking around, nor do they want you to do so. Take a cab to the airport if you wish (approximately $15.00 on the meter) or contact one of the above companies for a courtesy shuttle. Info would be on their websites.

A fair question and as someone who has waited 30 minutes for a hotel free shuttle, you lose a lot of time when you wait, right? OP was just asking because s/he didn't know there are free shuttles available.

You are correct. Having only been to the port once before I didn't really take in too much as to what was around, I honestly thought the shuttle just dropped off but thinking about it now it make sense that they go back to their hotels fully loaded as well.

Perhaps I should give you some background.

We have a few hours to kill before our flight home after our cruise, our flight depart at 3.55pm I thought we could use that time to look around Fort Lauderdale. My first thought was get a cab go to the airport secure the luggage in lockers that I was told about on CC then get the shuttle into town, have lunch a do a bit of shopping, then cab back to the airport. Then I remembered that

Avis car hire gave me a credit for some bad customer service I received when hiring a car in the UK. The credit can only be used in Canada or USA, as we live in Canada and have our own cars we are unlikely to use it here. The credit expires in April so I thought using it after the cruise may be the best option there by using up the credit and saving $$$ on cabs.

I have also looked at post cruise excursions by Princess. So basically I am just looking at all options open to me before I make a decision.

Thanks for your replies so far.

Edited by windsurferfirst

A fair question and as someone who has waited 30 minutes for a hotel free shuttle, you lose a lot of time when you wait, right? OP was just asking because s/he didn't know there are free shuttles available.

The OP didn't ask about hotel shuttles, in fact they didn't ask about shuttles at all. It was rather obvious they didn't know there are nonstop shuttles rotating through the terminals when the ships arrive in port. Who knows for sure, though, maybe they are big walkers who wanted to get some exercise?

My response was a rhetorical, deadpan question to open up a dialog with more information and interject a little humor. It looks like I achieved the objective. Now that we know they will be on a Princess ship we can tell them that if their ship is in Terminal 2 (where Princess ships usually dock) it would be an easy walk to Budget in the back of the parking lot next to the Renaissance Hotel on 17th Street. Most people just jump on the free shuttle, though, that constantly rotates through the terminals. But...

Now that we know they want to use Avis we can tell them there is an agency over the Causeway at Hyatt Pier 66 located at 2301 SE 17th St, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316 (Phone: (954) 713-1500). It, too, is a pretty easy walk (without luggage, though) with a beautiful view of Port Everglades from atop the bridge, but I think I would still take their shuttle...which rotates regularly through the terminals.

See how easy that was when you know just a little more?

Edited by Lido_Deck

The OP didn't ask about hotel shuttles, in fact they didn't ask about shuttles at all. It was rather obvious they didn't know there are nonstop shuttles rotating through the terminals when the ships arrive in port. Who knows for sure, though, maybe they are big walkers who wanted to get some exercise?

My response was a rhetorical, deadpan question to open up a dialog with more information and interject a little humor. It looks like I achieved the objective. Now that we know they will be on a Princess ship we can tell them that if their ship is in Terminal 2 (where Princess ships usually dock) it would be an easy walk to Budget in the back of the parking lot next to the Renaissance Hotel on 17th Street. Most people just jump on the free shuttle, though, that constantly rotates through the terminals. But...

Now that we know they want to use Avis we can tell them there is an agency over the Causeway at Hyatt Pier 66 located at 2301 SE 17th St, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316 (Phone: (954) 713-1500). It, too, is a pretty easy walk (without luggage, though) with a beautiful view of Port Everglades from atop the bridge, but I think I would still take their shuttle...which rotates regularly through the terminals.

See how easy that was when you know just a little more?

Thanks for your detailed reply. You are right we do love to walk, you are also right in the fact that the content of my original question was sparse to say the least.

Can I trouble you just one more time to ask you where the shuttle buses pick up, we are coming into to T2 on the Regal?

Thanks again.

Thanks for your detailed reply. You are right we do love to walk, you are also right in the fact that the content of my original question was sparse to say the least.

Can I trouble you just one more time to ask you where the shuttle buses pick up, we are coming into to T2 on the Regal?

Thanks again.

Once you get through Customs and out of the terminal just be aware of your surroundings, follow the signs and look around. It will be busy, chaotic and lots of people standing around looking like lost cattle, so don't follow the herd. It will be pretty obvious if you just pay attention. You'll see the shuttle buses making the circle if you pay attention.

Edited by Lido_Deck

Once you get through Customs and out of the terminal just be aware of your surroundings, follow the signs and look around. It will be busy, chaotic and lots of people standing around looking like lost cattle, so don't follow the herd. It will be pretty obvious if you just pay attention. You'll see the shuttle buses making the circle if you pay attention.

Thanks so much for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Thanks so much for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Since your time is short, you should get off the boat ASAP and make the most of it. If you can limit your luggage I would suggest self-assist disembarkation. Get in front of the herd and get to Avis first. Pre-plan your activity and bring a GPS with you or rent one from Avis.

Since your time is short, you should get off the boat ASAP and make the most of it. If you can limit your luggage I would suggest self-assist disembarkation. Get in front of the herd and get to Avis first. Pre-plan your activity and bring a GPS with you or rent one from Avis.

My thoughts exactly. We have lots of long winter nights / weekends unfortunately here in Ontario so plenty of time to plan.

We did early walk off last time so at least I am familiar with that process.