Mobile, AL

Xerxella

So, we're looking at taking a Carnival cruise on the Fantasy out of Mobile, AL. My understanding is that they are just starting running cruises out of there in November for a year. We're looking to cruise in March.

Does anybody have any information on Mobile? Is there any concern that the cruises would be cancelled since it's a newish run? Anything I should know about Mobile? Any good places to stay with a park and cruise type of option?

TIA

We cruised out of Mobile twice in 2011 on the Elation. Back then the Microtel in Saraland had a great park and cruise option with a free shuttle. Mobile seems to be in full Welcome Back mode in anticipation of the Fantasy cruising from there starting in November according to their Facebook page. We are cruising out of Mobile in May (3rd time on the Fantasy) and will be looking for another park and cruise motel. Mobile has the USS Alabama (you get a discount if you show your Carnival boarding pass and beautiful botanical gardens.

• 3 weeks later...

if you haven't looked at that site

there is a specific page of cruise info ....

including a list of hotels, some with packages ....

http://www.mobile.org/cruise/

I have a lot of family in Mobile and have put out a request for insider info as it relates to cruising from ....

first item I'd put on the list is a WARNING

WATCH your cruise dates .... Mobile does Mardi Gras as big (they say BIGGER) than New Orleans. If you plan to be there at this time, or the weekends preceding when the parades are happening getting a hotel downtown is gonna be an issue .... http://www.mobile.org/things-to-do/special-events/mardi-gras/

Edited by Capt_BJ

did you look at the list?

first one I randomly checked

http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/alabama/hampton-inn-and-suites-mobile-downtown-historic-district-MOBDTHX/offers/100088251.htm

Sleep, Park and Cruise with Hampton, the closest hotel to the cruise terminal. What's included? One night's lodging and parking at our newly renovated hotel. Wake up and enjoy our complimentary breakfast, pack up your car, and transport yourself over to the cruise terminal. From there, unload, park & sail away. No need to pay or wait for transportation pre or post cruise. To sweeten the deal, we include a $50 voucher towards the cost of parking at the terminal.

Across the street from the Hampton Inn is the Marriott Renaissance Riverview Hotel which has a park, cruise and shuttle to the port option. We stayed at this hotel when the Fantasy was cruising out of Mobile previously. The Riverview parking is in a parking deck next to the hotel, so it is covered parking. Another hotel in the area is the Battle House Renaissance Hotel which is a beautiful historic property.

Love cruising out of Mobile.

I have also parked my car at the terminal and it was easy to get in to the parking deck and easy to get out after the cruise was over.

• 1 month later...

Any hotels offer "just parking" rates? First time out of Mobile and we are looking for options besides just at the port. Parked off site for cruises out of Port Canaveral, Charleston and NO so wondering if anything like that is available yet here in Mobile?

Any hotels offer "just parking" rates? First time out of Mobile and we are looking for options besides just at the port. Parked off site for cruises out of Port Canaveral, Charleston and NO so wondering if anything like that is available yet here in Mobile?

Wondering this as well!

We were originally booked at the downtown Hampton Inn which gives you a partial voucher for you to park at the cruise port parking deck.

Friends booked at the downtown Quality Inn which offers free parking for the duration of your cruise, shuttle to and from the cruise port, and free breakfast. Since the difference in price was about what one of our excursions would be, we changed to the Quality Inn also! For one night, it will be our place. Not sure if I'm allowed to say this, but the cost was around $119.

I agree about timing around Mardi Gras. My very 1st cruise was leaving from Mobile in January---the first night of MG! We didn't have a clue when booking the cruise to check on other events that might affect lodging. There were a very few rooms still left in downtown, that we could find, and all were priced 3 times the normal rate :eek: We ended up staying at Hilton Garden Inn across the bay---they were wonderful to us, and although they didn't have a park and cruise program, the gen. mgr. basically provided us that service--personally, himself!! He actually drove us to the port, gave us his card, and had us call him when we returned so he could pick us up!:)

Saw a commercial last night advertising hotel park and cruise with a free shuttle for 2 of Marriott owned properties. One was 149 a night the other was 179 a night. I don't remember the names of the hotels but should be pretty easy to narrow down. Hope this helps someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We just got off the Fantasy in Mobile yesterday. Loath to pay the $18 charged at the port parking lot, we started to drive around the port area to see if we could find something cheaper. We found the Quality Inn near the port charges $5.00/day to park so we parked there for a total charge of $25! Not only that, but they gave us a ride right to the ship!

I asked about their park and cruise package and they offer that for $109. Not sure if that includes tax. When we disembarked, we walked from the ship with our suitcases to the hotel with no difficulty.

I noticed that people are still parking for free under the overpass right outside the port. We saw a sign with a tow truck on it when we were looking for parking, but when we walked by it when we left the ship, the sign actually said "cars will be towed that are blocking other cars." We actually saw a guy get off the ship and get in his car and drive away. So that is also an option.

There is also a public parking garage near the Quality Inn that charges $10/day. With these three options I see no need to pay the overpriced $18/day unless you absolutely must park right next to the ship.

There is also a public parking garage near the Quality Inn that charges $10/day. With these three options I see no need to pay the overpriced $18/day unless you absolutely must park right next to the ship.

Is the $10/day parking garage the one right across the street from the Quality Inn?

We found the Quality Inn near the port charges $5.00/day to park so we parked there for a total charge of $25! Not only that, but they gave us a ride right to the ship!

Is it possible to book ahead? We have to drive about 45-50 minutes. Hubby uses a walker so this would be great!

Thanks for the info.

I just looked up parking in the cruise terminal and it states that parking needs to be paid in advance and you use your license plate number as a reservation number? So, you have to book parking in advance?

You pay for parking up front, but I don't think you have to pay in advance before you get there. It's just an option to speed things up if you pay online ahead of time.