XP: swimming w dolphins-picton or BofI?

amann2

Also posted this on the NZ ports of call thread, but wasn't sure which one would be more helpful :)

Hello - we will be on the Ovation of the Seas Jan 9-23 sailing from Sydney to NZ. I am really determined to go swimming with dolphins in their natural habitat while we are there. I am debating between doing it in Bay of Islands or Picton, though.

The Bay of Islands tour seems a little better, as we won't need wetsuits. The problem is we already have a small private tour booked in the morning, so it would be 2 tours back to back, with no room to have any free time if we booked the dolphin cruise as well.

In Picton, we also have the option between a seal swim or dolphin swim. If we did the dolphin swim in BofI, then we can do the seal swim in Picton. I emailed the seal swim company though, and they thought we would have better luck finding dolphins to swim with rather than seals.

So I'm somewhat torn, I like the idea of swimming with dolphins in the BofI more - as it seems to have more of the Caribbean/beachy feel we are used to. But I don't want to waste all our our time on tours and not be able to do anything in BofI. Or.. where would we be more likely to actually be able to swim with dolphins?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

If they supply the wetsuits in Picton, then perhaps that is better as either way the water will be chilly. The water will be warmer (at least a few degrees) at BofI. It will not be tropical water temps but sub tropical water temps.

Edited by MicCanberra

For January, Picton water temps range around 12-17 degrees while Bay of Islands range around 15-22.

As an ex scuba diver I can tell you that 12 to 17 degrees is blxxxy cold. There is no way I would even consider snorkeling those temps without at least a wetsuit vest.:eek:

Do you stop in Akaroa? The harbour is quite lovely (haven't been there on a cruise, but I've kayaked there) and well known for its wildlife, including dolphins. I know there are dolphin sightseeing tours, pretty sure there's at least one group do a swim as well.

WE did the swim with dolphin tour in the Bay of islands last year in December and enjoyed it immensely. It is important to be aware that if their are juvenile dolphins in the pod you wont be allowed to hop in the water to swim with them. ( Most pods have juveniles present )

The Bay Of Islands have an industry based around sailing in the Bay and swimming with the dolphins. They are geared up for this activity on a daily basis not so in the Marlborough Sounds and Picton. One should always be aware that should babies be part of a pod then swimming is not permitted. Fines for operators that permit this are huge. I would plan on the Bay of Islands and if it turns to custard then plan on a secondary port.