Mobility challenged not the same as handicapped??

TNShadyLady

I don't want to start another thread about non-handicapped folks requesting accessible cabins. But who decides if someone is handicapped or truly needs an accessible cabin?

I have mobility issues. Hip surgery twice, not too steady on my feet, can walk very short lengths but for everything else require either a cane or a walker. My walker that I'll be bringing is wider than a normal cabin door. It would be nice to have the handicap rails in the bathroom, and a little extra room around tight bed spacing, etc.

But when I inquired about booking an accessible cabin, I was asked if I am in a wheelchair. I am not. (Yet, at least.) But I do have genuine mobility issues. I was told ONLY wheelchair passengers are allowed to book accessible rooms. And I really don't have a problem with that, as long as that is who gets those rooms.

But if an accessible room goes unbooked, why shouldn't I be able to get it? It would sure help my disability! Should I have it noted on my booking that I have mobility issues, so that if an accessible room becomes available, perhaps they would offer it to me? As it is, I'm booked into a regular cabin just like anyone else.

Is there someone else I could speak to about it? Maybe there isn't... maybe I'll just have to make the best of it, and that's okay. But if there's a possibility of getting a little roomier cabin, I don't want to lose the chance just because I never asked! :)

You need to call back and speak to someone and tell them you need an accessible cabin. Whoever told you an accessible is for wheel chair users only is incorrect and they are discriminating against you because you don't use a wheelchair. These cabins book quickly and I would not wait for one to become available. Carnival is really tough when it comes to booking an accessible cabin. I know we are in the same situation as you. My TA always has to go to bat for us with Carnival but has been successful. We have to fill out forms for their Special Needs dept. stating we need the facilities in the accessible cabin. Carnival does have modified cabins with a wider door and larger bathroom with the roll-in shower with drop down shower bench.

Royal Caribbean's vision class ships have accessible cabins that can hold 3 and 4 people and when I try to book one it does not show as available because we are only 2 people. I had to have my TA call a supervisor and they had to over ride the booking so we could book the accessible for 2 people.

but what the heck Ill toss my 2 cents in

my wife has two knee reps and a bad ankle

her knees are pretty good now, the ankle and other healt issues restrict her walking long distances

she will always take a cane at least, our last cruise we packed a walker but rented a handicap room ( sorry no pol cor. here ) anyway, we were not sure when booking if we'd rent a scooter or not, but being on the freedom of the seas, the biggest ship to date we'd ever sailed on we did book a scooter about time we paid our final

that ship was so big, that any end to end deal she pretty much had to use the scooter, in the mornings we did room service for a small breakfast so we could dope up our meds for the day, and me, with back probs I'm slowed too

so, Id hop the scooter and head aft for a secondary take out to top off our bfast and we'd leave the scooter and head to the solarium for the morning till about lunch

everything worked great

but our experiences over the years tells us

that cruise lines will be booking every cabin they can, and each might have a different formula for renting accessible staterooms, that can vary according to how many they have - in a slowdown period two years ago we had an accessible room on a late booking where the room was just empty close in and had been made available for regular booking ( shouldn't bother anyone ) but someone in the hallway seeing what seemed to be at the time no wheelchair or scooter might be miffed

also, as I have now started looking harder at the ship size, length of cruise etc when we book, I realize there is a GREAT variety of accessible cabins depending on when the ship was built and what the builders deemed accessible at the time

so we have seen threshold doors with a ramp added, small batrooms that are not wheel chair accessible etc. and many times this info is hard to come by

I can't tell you how many times recently we have booked hotel rooms that say they are roll in but aren't, it seems the hotel companies are posting what the requirements are without knowing what the rooms in the actual hotels actually have in them!

so for us our next two cruises are short, on carnival smaller ships and we have a regular outside empress room aft where the action is! no walker planned or scooters

but next fall we are on the Oasis ots and for sure, accessible room and we'll rent or buy a scooter for that one!

also, have noticed personally on royal Caribbean that their handicap rooms book really quickly AND they are really well appointed, very helpful ( except in ports their wheelchair assistance is really sketchy ) AND their reservation staff on the phones are helpful in providing info on rental companies that serve their ports

at some point, depending on my wifes ankle or my back, we may have to buy a scooter and rig up the big hitch on her car to haul it and start getting accessible rooms on smaller cruises

Thank you all for the helpful replies. I wanted to update you on my situation. The line is Carnival.

I sent an email to their special needs dept. letting them know I need a modified cabin if one is available to me and informing them of what I had been told ("wheelchair only"). I also asked for the form I need to fill out.

I got a phone call from guest services yesterday. She started out by trying to tell me I was wrong, that the person I talked to DID NOT say that. She even read to me their booking notes (apparently) which was full of questions they'd asked and my answers in the negative, all to justify why I was not allowed to book a modified cabin.

That incensed me because it was completely fabricated. I was asked ONE question... ONE... and that was "Are you in a wheelchair?" I answered truthfully and said no. That's when I was told that modified/accessible cabins are only for guests in wheelchairs. End of story.

She tried to tell me all their reps are trained in the questions to ask, basically calling me a liar. I told her again exactly how the conversation went and that I even had witnesses. My two sisters who are accompanying me on this cruise were sitting right there when I made the booking call. I told the rep I don't know why their notes show one thing when the truth is something else (unless she was just looking at a checklist or something, and not the actual conversation). I gotta tell you, my feathers were beginning to get a little ruffled. I was telling the absolute honest truth, regardless of what their records showed.

So I guess she got tired of arguing with me and did some checking to see if there is an available cabin for our Valor cruise later this month. She said there was nothing available, which I fully expected because it's too close to sail time now. But when she looked at our Sunshine cruise for next March, she offered me an upgrade to an aft balcony that is modified. At no extra charge to us. I took it, of course. Happily.

So Carnival is back in my good graces, but this episode did leave a bitter taste in my mouth. As many of you have said, there are different degrees of being handicapped, and only you can know your particular needs. I would never in a million years deny someone in a wheelchair the opportunity to cruise if my room was the only one available for them, but by the same token if rooms are available, I qualify.

I still have not filled out Carnival's Special Needs form, can't find it on their website, and they never sent me one by email.

Another 2 cents here. My 26 year old son has Down syndrome, low muscle tone, heart defect, does not do well in heat and humidity and has vision problems to name a few. He does very poorly on a ship with the extra movement and crowds, so we always bring his travel chair for him. We always get a regular cabin for the 4 of us as when he is in the cabin, it is easy for him to get around as there are things to hold on to when he navigates. We have always been asked if we need an accessible cabin and we have always refused because we don't really need it at this point and I would rather somebody who really needs one gets one. We always get emailed the special needs form to fill out as we need a shower chair for him and they need the dimensions of the travel chair. Carnival has always bent over backwards and treated my son like a king on every cruise.

Interesting is that on every Carnival cruise we have been on so far, somebody has come up to us and asked if we wanted their handicapped cabin. Since there are very few handicapped cabins for 4 people, I have declined each time. The last time an older couple had reserved the cabin with their son who is in a wheelchair, but he had been unable to come on the cruise at the last minute.

I will also add that our one Disney cruise was horrendous as far as accessibility. It was an older ship, the cabins were set up wrong for someone with a travel chair, the Lido buffet was impossible to get through and find a table and the elevators were so tiny only my son and a pusher could fit in them.

Good luck on your cruises and I'm glad Carnival came through for you on your spring cruise.

Another 2 cents here. My 26 year old son has Down syndrome, low muscle tone, heart defect, does not do well in heat and humidity and has vision problems to name a few. He does very poorly on a ship with the extra movement and crowds, so we always bring his travel chair for him. We always get a regular cabin for the 4 of us as when he is in the cabin, it is easy for him to get around as there are things to hold on to when he navigates. We have always been asked if we need an accessible cabin and we have always refused because we don't really need it at this point and I would rather somebody who really needs one gets one. We always get emailed the special needs form to fill out as we need a shower chair for him and they need the dimensions of the travel chair. Carnival has always bent over backwards and treated my son like a king on every cruise.

Interesting is that on every Carnival cruise we have been on so far, somebody has come up to us and asked if we wanted their handicapped cabin. Since there are very few handicapped cabins for 4 people, I have declined each time. The last time an older couple had reserved the cabin with their son who is in a wheelchair, but he had been unable to come on the cruise at the last minute.

I will also add that our one Disney cruise was horrendous as far as accessibility. It was an older ship, the cabins were set up wrong for someone with a travel chair, the Lido buffet was impossible to get through and find a table and the elevators were so tiny only my son and a pusher could fit in them.

Good luck on your cruises and I'm glad Carnival came through for you on your spring cruise.

The wrong set up is a problem in so many places. I honestly think every designer, building, ship, street, whatever, should have to spend a year or two in a wheelchair so they understand the difficulties.

Glad it worked out for you on the later cruise

I'm going on my first cruise utilizing the accessibility of the ship I have been on 4 previous cruises. So this will be a new experience. I am going to be using a scooter. I am interested in advice on getting meals in the Buffett. I am also interested in advice regarding the MDR.

MY question is how does one maneuver in between tables and going through the buffet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't know which line you are sailing on and I can only speak for Carnival and Disney. On Carnival there are seats designated on the Lido deck for people with disabilities marked by a wheelchair insignia. Generally if you sit there, someone will be along to offer help. You can also go up to one of the staff collecting dishes off tables and ask for someone to help and if they can't/won't they will find someone who will. The helper will go through the line with you and collect whatever food/drinks you ask for.

On Disney we could find no help in locating tables or going through the buffet line. Other passengers offered to help and even cleared a table for us.

in may with my wife in a rented scooter

they'd see her coming and most times someone on the wait staff would offer to carry her plate and get food for her, accompanying her to our table or helping her to a table if I had not sit down already

they would then get her tea or coffee too

Id expect the same kind of service on the Harmony.

we're not super experienced on royal but on every royal ship we've sailed we see a LOT of scooters and wheelchairs, both hand pushed and electric so it gave us a good impression that royal takes pretty good care of their accessbile clients

We also see quite a few on carnival but more wheelchairs than scooters and thay may or may not be because of the age of the fleet, smaller ships, or less accessible cabins.

there are cruise cabin websites, just googleate em, and you'll see a range of info offered including pics in some cases allowing you to dig for info

our freedom cruise we were able to scope out pics of our cabin and not every freedom class ship actually has a cabin like we had

on the FOS there are exactly two cabins LIKE what we had but only the specific cabin we had was accessible! the other was a family stateroom! two unique NON suite cabins, but both were suite sized....

I even had to argue with crewman who apparently new to the ship was telling me I couldn't possibly have a cabin on the deck I was on because they ddint have cabins there!

I just told him to come on! and after he saw he didn't know what the heck he was talking about I told him he needed to get out more often!!!!:rolleyes:

My 25 year old daughter has Ehlers-Danlos syndrome which, among other things) causes her joints to dislocate and causes balance issues. She has leg braces and a walker and uses a wheelchair for long distances (like airports). There have been times when she has been in a chair for all movement, but that is not her current norm. Eventually she will need an electric wheelchair full time, but is not at that level yet. Note--I don't mean a scooter, I mean a real motorized chair.

She currently needs a shower without a "lip," a shower chair, grab bars, and a raised toilet is a huge help.

We have been told by a Princess rep that their HA rooms are for "wheelchair users" only. They tried to tell me that "all their cabins have showers" and that the "special" rooms are "wheelchair rooms." That said, we've never had a problem booking one when it was available. And if it isn't available or was denied to her, we couldn't/wouldn't book the cruise.

In our experience, the best line for HA rooms/access has been Disney (DCL).

One thing we did notice on cruise line excursions is that the stated activity level is often misleading and we need to read the description and often talk to the excursion desk. For instance, many excursions will visit 3 sites, two of which are totally accessible. We might choose to be comfortable booking a "high activity" trip knowing that we would need to remain in the bus area (often gift shop or something else) for that portion. On another excursion, there was a long stairway to the main tourist spot. However, for $1, we could ride a tram to the top, eliminating ALL the stairs! The only "high activity" part of the trip was that staircase.

I'm going to post a new thread on our recent Princess experience.....not up to our standards at all!

The criteria there is " are you in a wheelchair?" (Nobody in that case "decides" who is, or isn't, handicapped, it's a factual inquiry.)

Having dealt with this very issue, I can tell you that for Royal Caribbean, the criteria is "do you need the features of an accessible cabin". Also note that the word "wheelchair" is no longer associated with these types of cabins, but unfortunately the symbol hasn't changed, so many people still think "wheelchair" is a requirement.

is in st Thomas if you have some mobility impairment but can sort of walk

the Skyride to Paradise Point is neat, however, there is one helluva stair climb to get up to the ride platform!!!!

we took a cab over to the base and to my wifes credit, she had enough liquor and pain pills to hobble up those steps and get on the ride

but, if you are in a wheelchair or if you had a scooter either one, you'd be out of luck at the top!

after we made it to the top theres a ton of steps straight down into the bar and shopping area OR a long set of switchback ramps that allow access to the upper level shops or lower level but a long walk though

when we made the top, we had a great time, and we did see that you could take a taxi straight up the mountain - this attraction in St Thomas is really neat, beautiful view of the harbor, great drinks and food and all the typical touristy crap you might want to buy

Id maybe suggest, pre arrainging a return cab ride though in case you are planning on a tight schedule. We did make the needed stairs to ride the lift both ways, but next time we'd do it by taxi all the way if we do it!

HAD we taken our scooter off the ship we'd made the lift base in time, but there was no secure area to leave it for the ride up!!!!!:confused:

We spent a week in Tokyo following our Diamond Princess cruise. We were pleasantly surprised to find virtually no issues that we could not overcome.

Every train station had elevators and escalators somewhere, but you might have to look for them. Most buildings had elevators. There were a few places that we "passed" on due to stairs--a restaurant in a basement, for instance. There is a significant amount of walking, but the sidewalks are even and level. It is a crowded city, but we had no problem with moving at my daughter's speed and letting others go around us.

Bottom line--a very "do-able" city for us at this point.

Trying to delete this--I was trying to start a new thread with it. Sorry!

Edited by moki'smommy

Thank you all for your information. As I was reading your purple post I got the idea that maybe Cruise critic should set up more threads for disabled cruising maybe set up one for excursions one for not ship experiences things like that that would be really wonderful maybe they'll do that

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you all for your information. As I was reading your purple post I got the idea that maybe Cruise critic should set up more threads for disabled cruising maybe set up one for excursions one for not ship experiences things like that that would be really wonderful maybe they'll do that

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I assume you mean separate forums. Members can create any thread they wish.

We did create a separate forum for disabled travel in Europe (cobblestones and such) because of the diversity of topics.

Normally a topic of interest can be covered by a single thread that, in some cases, can go on forever. For example see the thread on traveling with a Service Dog.

Please be considerate to those who have no mobility and absolutly cannot travel without a fully accessible cabin. We are already limited to a minimum numbers of cabins per ship and when those who can use a tradition cabin (even though it may not be the perfect setup) take the few accessible cabins, this leaves us totaly unable to cruise. Without the wide doors and roll in showers for our wheelchairs we are left at the docks. Please encourage everyone to please leave these few cabins for those who truly need them. Cruisers who are fully wheelchair dependent love to cruise as much as everyone else. Please don't book these cabins unless you are truly a fulltime wheelchair user. Thank you

Please be considerate to those who have no mobility and absolutly cannot travel without a fully accessible cabin. We are already limited to a minimum numbers of cabins per ship and when those who can use a tradition cabin (even though it may not be the perfect setup) take the few accessible cabins, this leaves us totaly unable to cruise. Without the wide doors and roll in showers for our wheelchairs we are left at the docks. Please encourage everyone to please leave these few cabins for those who truly need them. Cruisers who are fully wheelchair dependent love to cruise as much as everyone else. Please don't book these cabins unless you are truly a fulltime wheelchair user. Thank you

Even when I'm full time in a wheelchair, I take a chair that folds to fit in a standard room so those that can't access or use such a chair can have accessible cabins available.

Even when I'm full time in a wheelchair, I take a chair that folds to fit in a standard room so those that can't access or use such a chair can have accessible cabins available.

This does imply that you do have some sort of mobility though, correct? How do you stand and fold your chair to carry it into the room?

I need to and book accessible cabins for every cruise I take. I am not full-time in a wheelchair, but I travel with both a motorized scooter and a large rollator. I travel solo in my cabin - even when traveling with friends we book separate cabins. I have rheumatoid arthritis and my knees are just a disaster. I cannot stand without assistance for more than a minute or so. I cannot step up a curb, or up a step to the bathroom - even holding on to the threshold. (My other joints are also affected so I don't have the strength in my upper body either.) I need the walker to navigate around the cabin (again, can't stand without assistance.) I would not be able to stand up and then fold my rollator and carry it through a regular cabin door.

Full-time wheelchair users are absolutely entitled to accessible cabins, but so are folks like me who are not bound to a wheelchair. If you can navigate without accessible accommodations, that is awesome for you - and I hope that you can continue to do so and that your health improves even more.

But please don't make assumptions about what other people can and can't do based on whether or not they are wheelchair bound. I would do anything to NOT have to rely on special accommodations. Trust me when I tell you that.

This does imply that you do have some sort of mobility though, correct? How do you stand and fold your chair to carry it into the room?

I need to and book accessible cabins for every cruise I take. I am not full-time in a wheelchair, but I travel with both a motorized scooter and a large rollator. I travel solo in my cabin - even when traveling with friends we book separate cabins. I have rheumatoid arthritis and my knees are just a disaster. I cannot stand without assistance for more than a minute or so. I cannot step up a curb, or up a step to the bathroom - even holding on to the threshold. (My other joints are also affected so I don't have the strength in my upper body either.) I need the walker to navigate around the cabin (again, can't stand without assistance.) I would not be able to stand up and then fold my rollator and carry it through a regular cabin door.

Full-time wheelchair users are absolutely entitled to accessible cabins, but so are folks like me who are not bound to a wheelchair. If you can navigate without accessible accommodations, that is awesome for you - and I hope that you can continue to do so and that your health improves even more.

But please don't make assumptions about what other people can and can't do based on whether or not they are wheelchair bound. I would do anything to NOT have to rely on special accommodations. Trust me when I tell you that.

I'm sorry you misunderstood what I was saying.

I have no issue with someone having an accessible cabin, all I am saying is that in my opinion, you should only book one if there is no other option. It seems for you there is no other option, that's why I avoid booking an accessible cabin even though it puts my wife to a lot of inconvenience, so those whose needs are greater than mine can have them.

I was making no assumptions about anyone's capacity.

I avoid booking an accessible cabin even though it puts my wife to a lot of inconvenience, so those whose needs are greater than mine can have them.

And that is GREATLY appreciated by all that do not have another option. There are some folks who have NO need and think nothing of booking these limited accommodations. :(

Sorry if I misinterpreted your post. Wishing you great health and happy cruising! :)

• 4 weeks later...

This has been a wonderfully informative thread. Thank you for all the input. it has been a great help to me. One suggestion I would make to cruise lines re the special needs form to be completed before embarkation. A question to those who have booked an accessible state room but are not wheelchair bound but need the accessible facilities 'would they be willing to give up their accessible cabin to a totally wheelchair bound person if another cabin could be found on the ship to suit their needs'. I would and would prefer that from the off.

As was stated, mobility at sea is different from that on land and a person with mobility issues - not wheelchair bound- notices this very much also the emergency pull in the bathroom offers people like myself greater security as do the abundance of grab bars etc and the general 'extras' in the bathroom all aid for a better, safer cruise. To have a fall would be awlful for anyone but in particular for someone with joint replacements and other medical problems.

Not sure which cruise line you are traveling with. On our last 2 cruises on Carnival we booked a suite so I could have extra room since I use a scooter and need room for it. I also requested a shower chair. They brought one. It does NOT fit in the tub in a suite. I had to keep the shower doors open and put the chair half in and half out of the tub. It was very tippy and unsafe but I had no choice. Without it I could not shower. The whole showering process would truly be a million dollar winner on Americas Funny Videos. I would assume a shower chair would work in the regular shower of a standard cabin. As I recall there was a grab bar in the tub. I hope this info helps.