What to do in Malaga

campolady

Thank you so much campolady :)

How very kind of you :).

I'll check Barcelona as we get closer to the time as we are there on Thursday.

The procession we saw in Malaga last time was truly marvellous.

I suspected it would be in the evening, but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Many, many thanks for your help :)

My pleasure - I will do my best to find out about any lesser processions and am sure there will be something for you to see on the Tuesday; one thing that may interest you is that the Foreign Legion are generally in the city throughout Holy Week and, although their main parade is on the Wednesday, they do a spectacular Changing of the Guard on Monday and Tuesday.

I have just found this that may be of interest depending on how late you are in port http://www.semana-santa-malaga.com/english/holy-tuesday-malaga.html

Barcelonas processions are not as awe inspiring as those in Malaga and Seville and mostly take place on Palm Sunday and Good Friday

http://www.oh-barcelona.com/en/blog/2013/culture/fiestas/easter-in-barcelona-4474

Edited by campolady

My pleasure - I will do my best to find out about any lesser processions and am sure there will be something for you to see on the Tuesday; one thing that may interest you is that the Foreign Legion are generally in the city throughout Holy Week and, although their main parade is on the Wednesday, they do a spectacular Changing of the Guard on Monday and Tuesday.

I have just found this that may be of interest depending on how late you are in port http://www.semana-santa-malaga.com/english/holy-tuesday-malaga.html

Barcelonas processions are not as awe inspiring as those in Malaga and Seville and mostly take place on Palm Sunday and Good Friday

http://www.oh-barcelona.com/en/blog/2013/culture/fiestas/easter-in-barcelona-4474

Oh THANK YOU again.

I really appreciate your help. You are a gem :)

So kind of you to research and help.

Many, many thanks. Malaga's procession last time was moving so I thought I would ask.

Looking forward to returning to your beautiful city again. Even though we were there last year again, it is such a joy to return again. Thank you :)

We will be in Malaga on Nov 1 Day of the Dead. Since it is a holiday will most things be closed? Thanks for any help. Joan

I think Day of the Dead -- Dia de los Muertos -- is Nov 2nd, All Souls Day.

Nov 1st is All Saints Day. Easy to confuse.

I've just found this thread and I've found it extremely helpful!! We're visiting in a few weeks and can't wait. Thank you for the information campolady.

How kind of you to say this AR008 - I hope you have a fabulous time in Malaga.

Thank you for the correction. Nov. 1 is All Saints Day. So Any info on that day?

Joan

All Saints Day(Dia de Todos los Santos)

The All Saints Day is celebrated across Spain on 1st November, and is a National holiday in the country; some shops will be closed (although more and more are staying open each year) but all museums, bars and restaurants will all be open. The day is celebrated in order to remember the departed friends and relatives, and pay respects to them. People visit the cemeteries and offer flowers, especially chrysanthemums, on the grave of their deceased relatives. Churches hold mass for the occasion. The atmosphere is family friendly and people not only remember the deceased, but also celebrate just being alive - bars and restaurants in Malaga centre will be buzzing with locals out to enjoy a day off work.

Edited by campolady

• 3 weeks later...
campolady' date='

We are looking at Hilton Gardens,Malaga or Holiday Inn Malaga, do you know what public transportation options would be available to Malaga center. Information we have looked at seems vague.:confused:

Thanks

RAC[/quote']

Both are on Avenida Velasquez (the long/wide/not particularly attractive main road into the city from the west) and therefore both have easy access to the city centre; the Hilton Gardens Malaga is next to the Puerta Blanca Metro underground station and the Holiday Inn Malaga Airport is on the 'A Bus' route. Both the bus and Metro trams operate every 20-30 minutes.

The Holiday Inn is closest to the Airport and you can take the 'A Bus' direct from outside 'Arrivals' to the hotel - I believe the hotel even refunds your fare if you do this! The Hilton would have slightly quicker access to the city centre.

If you take the 'A Bus' into the city centre stay on beyond the bus station and get off at the Parque de la Marina which is only a couple of minutes walk from the Cathedral and Old City centre - approaching stops are shown on the buses lighted display boards so, as long as you watch this, you won't miss your stop.

Hope this helps.

Edited by campolady

• 3 weeks later...

We are currently in Malaga on Celebrity Equinox. Today we took an excursion to Granada and after dinner went ashore to start exploring Malaga. What a beautiful city, I think it's been my favorite port of the cruise. The walk back to the ship along Muelle Uno was lovely. At first we were walking at street level then we realized what we were missing below us. Can't to do more exploring tomorrow. Thank you for all the valuable info Campolady.

We are currently in Malaga on Celebrity Equinox. Today we took an excursion to Granada and after dinner went ashore to start exploring Malaga. What a beautiful city, I think it's been my favorite port of the cruise. The walk back to the ship along Muelle Uno was lovely. At first we were walking at street level then we realized what we were missing below us. Can't to do more exploring tomorrow. Thank you for all the valuable info Campolady.

So glad you like Malaga GoldenRetriever - we think it is a special place.

By the way, I will not be able to answer any Malaga queries for the next 11 days as we are just setting off for a night at Torremolinos (just the other/west side of Malaga) to be close to the airport for our early flight tomorrow to Palma de Mallorca before joining our next cruise - can't wait!

Both are on Avenida Velasquez (the long/wide/not particularly attractive main road into the city from the west) and therefore both have easy access to the city centre; the Hilton Gardens Malaga is next to the Puerta Blanca Metro underground station and the Holiday Inn Malaga Airport is on the 'A Bus' route. Both the bus and Metro trams operate every 20-30 minutes.

The Holiday Inn is closest to the Airport and you can take the 'A Bus' direct from outside 'Arrivals' to the hotel - I believe the hotel even refunds your fare if you do this! The Hilton would have slightly quicker access to the city centre.

If you take the 'A Bus' into the city centre stay on beyond the bus station and get off at the Parque de la Marina which is only a couple of minutes walk from the Cathedral and Old City centre - approaching stops are shown on the buses lighted display boards so, as long as you watch this, you won't miss your stop.

Hope this helps.

campolady;

Thank you for the info, and so sorry for the delayed response:) You have made things crystal clear!

Ralph & carolyn

Campolady.....you are a true wealth of information, as I have been reading almost all of this thread. You mentioned that there is a bus M110 that runs to Torremolinos and

that it is possible to catch it outside of the port gates....I assume there is a return bus

to malaga, but to the port?

Also, we a a little leary of riding the bus....not so young anymore, and wondered about getting a taxi from the port to Torremolinos and then another one back to the Port. Is this posssible, and how many euros, do you think?

Campolady.....you are a true wealth of information, as I have been reading almost all of this thread. You mentioned that there is a bus M110 that runs to Torremolinos and

that it is possible to catch it outside of the port gates....I assume there is a return bus

to malaga, but to the port?

Also, we a a little leary of riding the bus....not so young anymore, and wondered about getting a taxi from the port to Torremolinos and then another one back to the Port. Is this posssible, and how many euros, do you think?

Apologies for the delay in reading your post - we only returned from our latest cruise a couple of hours ago and don't go on line whilst we are away.

Yes - the Torremolinos bus goes back to the port gates (the final stop of the route).

Taxis are readily available and will cost around 30 Euros each way.

Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Campolady,

Just wanted to say a big thank you for all your advise on this forum.

We had a great time on our recent port stop in Malaga. Walked from the ship into town, a few drinks in Antigua Casa de Guardia & onto the nearby market on Atarazanas for lunch, walked about 7 miles altogether just taking in the city.

Already planning our day there on next year's transatlantic.

Regards

Mark & Heather

Hello Campolady,

Just wanted to say a big thank you for all your advise on this forum.

We had a great time on our recent port stop in Malaga. Walked from the ship into town, a few drinks in Antigua Casa de Guardia & onto the nearby market on Atarazanas for lunch, walked about 7 miles altogether just taking in the city.

Already planning our day there on next year's transatlantic.

Regards

Mark & Heather

Oh thank you so much! I am so glad that you found the information useful and that you had a good time in Malaga. We are all waiting for the Christmas lights to be switched on at the end of this month as Malaga has one of the best displays in Europe.

Campolady...When are the lights switched on? We will be there next week am

nd that would be nice to see.

Doug

Not until the 24th I'm afraid - they run until the 6th January.

Here are some pictures from last year https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A9mSs2w7ryZYCTsA5a5LBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTByZmVxM3N0BGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=Malaga+Christmas+Lights+2016&fr=yfp-t-UK033 The pictures don't do justice to the lights but give an idea of what they are like.

Edited by campolady

Hola Campolady,

Me llamo Miguel Ángel, soy de Málaga y aquí vivo...

Permíteme que te felicite muy sinceramente por la gran labor de difusión de los grandes atractivos de mi ciudad que vienes realizando en este foro.

No solo ayudas y aconsejas a los que vienen a conocerla, también difundes, con gran eficacia, sus atractivos y encantos, colaborando enormemente al desarrollo turístico que a tantos beneficia.

Bravo por ello! Y sigue haciéndolo tan bien!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums