How many days in Oslo?

We will be taking a cruise out of Bergen next September. We will be flying into Oslo? How many full days should we allow in Oslo--2 or 3?

Depends what you want to do / see. We spent a full day there on our Baltic Cruise this year and could have easily had a second or third day. I'd actually head over to Trip Advisor and look around there...

Hard to answer. Two days is enough to see the highlights. It's a pleasant enough city so sure you would enjoy a third day also.

I agree that a third day is good for Oslo, allows you to explore at a leisurely pace and to spend more time in some of the attractions. We have bought the Oslo pass for discounted entry during our visits. Some of the attractions involve travelling time and the buses/trams/metro are good.

Last year I flew into Oslo, and spent the afternoon walking around the Palace and area near the Central train station. Stayed overnight (AirBnB) and caught the early morning train (I believe it was 7:15A) to Bergen. The train is about 6 hours.

When I returned I took the train from Bergen back to Oslo, but stopped for a side trip from Myrdal to Flam on the train (and back) so it actually took me about 11 hours to get to Oslo (leaving no time to see anything in Oslo). I then spend the next 2.5 days seeing the sights in Oslo (and yes, I bought the 72 hour Oslo Pass, which was a great deal). The first day I went to the Vigeland Sculpture garden at Frogner Park (trolley), the Nobel Peace Center, and City Hall, and walked around the Opera House. That evening I had dinner with a Norwegian friend in the trendy Grünerløkka district (trolley), including a stroll along the Akerselva river.

The next day was rainy and windy, so instead of taking the passenger ferry to Bygdøy, I took the #30 bus, which goes to all the museums there. I went to the Norwegian Folk Museum, the Viking Ship museum, the Kon-Tiki Museum and the Fram museum to see both the Fram and Gjøa (as well as all the other exhibits there related to Norway's polar explorers).

My last day I went to Akershus Fortress and the Norwegian (WWII) Resistance Museum and then took the train to the airport for my late afternoon flight home.

We will be taking a cruise out of Bergen next September. We will be flying into Oslo? How many full days should we allow in Oslo--2 or 3?

Unless you want to see Oslo, you don't have to fly into Oslo, you can fly into Bergen. Although the train trip from Oslo to Bergen is quite nice.

Edited by Rustybuttons123

DipBrat: Hard to answer. Two days is enough to see the highlights. It's a pleasant enough city so sure you would enjoy a third day also.

BritinSoCal: Depends what you want to do / see.

You've received a number of good tips and ideas. BUT' date=' much depends on what exactly you like to see and do. How much for history, culture, shopping, art, nature, etc.? [b']Tell us more!! [/b] If you like more contemporary art, there are a several super-stars in this town, including Vigeland and Munich. Both are world-class!! Below are some visual samples related to Oslo. As noted, you could also fly directly into Bergen. Many potential to consider. Maybe one or two days could do.

People will also sometimes ask how Oslo compares to Stockholm and Copenhagen. Much of the difference is about the contrast of Oslo's more contemporary great art/design . . . versus . . . the more significant depth of history/design and royal background associated with both Copenhagen and Stockholm. Both of these capitals of Sweden and Denmark have had much longer recent histories of power and wealth, while Oslo is "newer" in many ways.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 204,269 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This picture shows the main, historic Akershus Fortress/Castle next to where many cruise ships dock in Oslo. The fortress construction started around the late 1290’s. It successfully survived all sieges, primarily by Swedish forces. It surrendered without combat to Germans in 1940 when the Norwegian government evacuated the capital in the face of the German invasions of Denmark and Norway. The very interesting and moving Norwegian Resistance museum can be visited there. Norwegian Royalty have been buried in the Royal Mausoleum in the castle. A portion of this fortress was replicated at the Norway pavilion at Disney’s Epcot Center.:

1A-Oslo-Harbor-OldFortress.jpg

At the National Museum in Oslo, there is Munch art, including one of his two famed Scream painting that are in this Norway capital. At the separate Munch Museum, just a little distance away from central Oslo, there is the other Scream painting in Oslo. There are many other of his painting at this museum by the famed artist.:

1A-Oslo-NatGalMunch.jpg

Vigeland Park has a wide variety of outdoor sculptures in a super, wonderful setting that is a highlight for Oslo. There is a wide variety of art, water features, spectacular settings, etc. Its admission is free and the views and art are "priceless". It is open 24/7, so hours are not an issue.:

1A-Oslo-VigelandPk.jpg

Here is Oslo’s City Hall exterior and one of its large interior spaces where the Nobel Peace Prize is awarded annually on December 10 each year. This structure houses the city council and city administration, plus art studios and galleries. The construction started in 1931 with the main structure completed in 1936. The German invasion of Norway in 1940 caused construction to stop, and it was not resumed until 1947. This City Hall was official opened in 1950. Its characteristic architecture, artworks and the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony makes it one of Oslo's most famous buildings. The roof of the eastern tower has a 49-bell carillon which plays every hour. This City Hall is situated in central downtown Oslo dramatically overlooking the scenic harbor area.:

1A-Oslo-CityHallExt.jpg

1A-Oslo-CityHallInterior.jpg

Norway’s Royal Palace and a main Oslo shopping area. This 173-room palace was built in the first half of the 19th century as the Norwegian residence of the King of Sweden (when they ruled Norway) and is now the official residence of the present Norwegian monarch. It was in 1905 when Norway became completely independent from Sweden.:

1A-Oslo-RoyalPalace.jpg

We really like Oslo, which has much to offer visitors. Bergen is also a favorite port of ours, but does not have the diversity of offerings you will find in the larger Oslo. However, when planning overnights in Norway one needs to be cognizant that Norway is a very expensive country...especially for eating. A single large pizza and carafe of the cheapest wine can set one back around $50. A burger at TGI Fridays (not sure why any American would eat there) can cost over $25 (with no sides). So budget accordingly and do your homework on eating venues.

As to Oslo, we think that 2 full days would be desirable...and even this will not be enough time to see all the main attractions. Bergen, on the other hand, can be seen in a day (unless you decide to do some kind of boat excursion).

Hank