Panama Hat

dcac2

You will be able to purchase them in Cartagena and the price will be reasonable.

The Panama Hat was first made in Manta, Ecuador.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-TzsyV-xlSRA/UQagkoQDAsI/AAAAAAAAY64/7K7Zdgwwau0/s1600/IMG_0626.jpg

You can find Panama Hats at the Walled City in Cartagena as well at other locations.

Keith

Good to know about Cartagena...we were planning to go to the old walled city, so that is perfect!

And I did wonder what items were available in the market outside the ship in Colon...hopefully I have some success in Cartagena.

Thanks!

The stuff in the "market" in Colon is "touristy" stuff...mostly crap, IMO....trinkets and useless items. There is a duty-free shop in the confines of the marketplace...but I don't recall hats!

I agree ... I would not plan on spending much time in the Colon market ... better to stay on the ship in many ways ... :) ... OP - by any chance are you doing the partial transit of the canal on Princess?

Edited by Slopoke15
typo, missed a word

We are doing the full transit through the canal with Celebrity...soo excited!

I'm not hearing the best things about Colon...quite unsafe apparently? We have a ship tour booked of the locks :)

Edited by dcat2

I'm not hearing the best things about Colon...quite unsafe apparently? We have a ship tour booked of the locks :)

excellent ... I expect you will enjoy the cruise very much ... what you hear about Colon is correct ... not the safest place, and not much to offer itself ... so an excursion off the ship is definitely the way to go ... one thing about the "panama hats" in Cartagena ... there will be lots of vendors approaching you with shirts and hats, including what they call panama hats ... my suggestion would be to be selective, and have an idea what you want ... no need to buy the first one you see, as you may see a nicer one a bit later ... speaking from first hand experience :)

We will be stopping in Cartagena, Colon, & Costa Rica
We are stopping in Cartegena, Colon and Costa Rica on our trip next month. We arranged a private tour into Casco Viejo in Panama City because Colon is scary and tacky. I'd do that if looking for better quality goods. We're going with Panama on Wheels, a highly-rated tour.

Are you going on the 9th? We're on that one. We've booked a private tour in Panama City. Room for two more if you're interested.

Colon is not the type of place you would want to strike out on your own self guided walking tour with your new Hasselblad camera slung around your neck and your diamond crusted Rolex sparkling in the sunlight!;) However nothing inherently unsafe about travelling through Colon on a tour or even in a private taxi. The shopping area connected to the pier is fine to browse around in and pick up that necessary T shirt or even that "Panama" Hat if you haven't purchased one yet. Colon is just not the best front door for a country.

Edited by BillB48
oops
  • Like 1

s2kreno...Yes, we are sailing on the 9th & thanks for the offer, but we are doing a ship tour of the Gatun locks. We have heard all of the 'safety' warnings of Colon & figured it might be best to take a ship tour this time!