Celebrity Transfers to Rome Airport

REP

Does anyone know approximately how much Celebrity charges for their transfer to FCO? Can it be booked onboard? We will have a very large shipboard credit and thought this might be a good way to use some of it.

We have an 11:20 am flight but it is from terminal 3 so we only have to be there 2 hours ahead - I assume it won't be a problem using the ships transfer to get there in time.

We will book a private transfer if necessary.

I think I would ask on the Celebrity board- far more expertise on this Celebrity issue. I would think it quite likely they will sell on board, to use your OBC.

I can tell you it will most likely be cheaper to book privately. As commonly discussed here, you should be fine with a 11:20 flight.

Had to smile at your "book a private transfer if necessary." Having been to that port more then 2 dozen times (we really have lost count) we would always book a private transfer...and only consider a cruise line transfer if every decent private company was fully booked :). Our personal preference is Romecabs (there are other reputable companies) which charges about 130€ for a couple....but the price really drops if you get a few others to join you (normally this is easy to arrange on the CC Roll Call boards). You will have a driver waiting for you and be at FCO in less then an hour..having traveled in a comfy van. In fact, you might be half way to the airport before a large cruise line transfer bus even leaves the port.

Hank

OP: I noticed you are from Canada. Is your flight nonstop to Canada on something other than Alitalia? If yes, the flight may leave from T3, but really god chance you have to start at T5 for all the preliminaries. If you are connecting somewhere in Europe for the flight onward, T3 is true. Just wanting to be sure of that, given the morning flight time.

OP: ....... Is your flight nonstop to Canada on something other than Alitalia? If yes, the flight may leave from T3, but really god chance you have to start at T5 for all the preliminaries.

Hi,

I hope that the OP will not mind that I am asking you this question : If my flight is direct from FCO to YYZ on Air Transat and Transat is listed on T3 , do I have to go to T5 first for some 'preliminaries' ? and then go back to T3 to the proper gate ?

How does that work ?

Hi,

I hope that the OP will not mind that I am asking you this question : If my flight is direct from FCO to YYZ on Air Transat and Transat is listed on T3 , do I have to go to T5 first for some 'preliminaries' ? and then go back to T3 to the proper gate ?

How does that work ?

In your situation we would telephone Air Transat (close to your departure date) and verify the Terminal. Worse case is that if you go to T3 and need to be at T5 you will just have to walk outside (with your luggage) and grab the free shuttle bus over to T5.

As to the T5 procedure, it is not nearly as bad as it was a few years ago :). When we have checked-in at T5 the lines were often shorter then we have encountered in T2 and T3. After you are checked-in you will eventually (in plenty of time to board your flight) be transported over to one of the other Terminals where you board your flight. The last two times we did this...we were simply released into T3 (where we could shop) which really seems to defeat the purpose of the T5 extra security precautions. But shhhhhh, we won't tell this to the Italian authorities.

Hank:D

OP: I noticed you are from Canada. Is your flight nonstop to Canada on something other than Alitalia? If yes, the flight may leave from T3, but really god chance you have to start at T5 for all the preliminaries. If you are connecting somewhere in Europe for the flight onward, T3 is true. Just wanting to be sure of that, given the morning flight time.

Direct to YYZ (Toronto) on Air Canada. Tickets say terminal 3. Will confirm before we leave. Thanks for the "heads up"

I'm booked on a Celebrity transatlantic leaving from Civitavecchia in a couple of weeks. The transfer from FCO airport to the ship through Celebrity is $75 (per person.) Who knows if that price will be the same next year though!

Thanks - that is the figure I needed. If we use their transfers it will be to use up our onboard credit. We have a very inclusive booking and no need for a large OBC.

Actually, Rome Cabs is up to 150 euros for two people, and drops accordingly for more people. (I just checked earlier this morning as I'm starting to get things lined up for our next cruise.) Still well worth it, and we've also used them many times. They are right there waiting when we get off the ship and get us to the airport in no time.

Actually, Rome Cabs is up to 150 euros for two people, and drops accordingly for more people. (I just checked earlier this morning as I'm starting to get things lined up for our next cruise.) Still well worth it, and we've also used them many times. They are right there waiting when we get off the ship and get us to the airport in no time.

So we have some inflation :). But even for 2 people (your own private car/driver) it is no more expensive then a large cruise ship bus transfer. And your private driver will drop you at the place closest to your airline...rather then a common drop used by most large buses.

Hank

So we have some inflation :). But even for 2 people (your own private car/driver) it is no more expensive then a large cruise ship bus transfer. And your private driver will drop you at the place closest to your airline...rather then a common drop used by most large buses.

Hank

Agreed!

I just took a look at the FCO website. They have only US and Israeli airlines needing to go to T5. Air Canada and Air Transaat were listed as T3. So, maybe follow Hank's directions and go to T3 first. If they do say you need T5, just go outside and hop on that shuttle bus.

Flights to Canada don't use T5 for anything. There was a short period of time during construction after the fire when different airlines used it but now it's back to it's main purpose only, flights direct to the States on either American, Delta, or United and flights direct to Israel.

As an aside, I left from Malpensa last week and there check in for flights direct to the States on American, Delta, or United are segregated in a special section of the main terminal. Once you check in and leave your luggage you walk back to the main part of the terminal and join everyone else. Based on this my thought is that the higher security is primarily of the baggage, which does take a different route to the plane, vs. the people. You are scrutinized a bit more by big guys with huge guns, but the baggage seems to be what really is handled differently.

Edited by euro cruiser

Flights to Canada don't use T5 for anything. There was a short period of time during construction after the fire when different airlines used it but now it's back to it's main purpose only, flights direct to the States on either American, Delta, or United and flights direct to Israel.

As an aside, I left from Malpensa last week and there check in for flights direct to the States on American, Delta, or United are segregated in a special section of the main terminal. Once you check in and leave your luggage you walk back to the main part of the terminal and join everyone else. Based on this my thought is that the higher security is primarily of the baggage, which does take a different route to the plane, vs. the people. You are scrutinized a bit more by big guys with huge guns, but the baggage seems to be what really is handled differently.

Interesting. And that is supposed to make us feel safer when we fly domestic or International European airlines? WOW!