Costco in Maui

Dreamer115

Is it really worth going to Costco if you are a couple and going to be in a condo for 2 weeks? What do you buy that can be consumed in that time? I find everything here to be is such large quantities that it takes time to eat. I did hear someone say that they get cooked chicken for $4.99 is that correct? That would be worth it for sure.

Connie

Absolutely- we do it for a single week.

Do you regularly shop at Costco? If so, do a little research in advance of sizes and servings. What you buy depends on what you like to eat, and we don't know that. Yes, some things will be too big (for our week needs), so picking up those at a regular store is required. But we probably buy 65-75% of our food at the Costco when we are there.

Note- their gas prices are great.

For a land trip we usually stay just a week so Costco is not practical for most items. But I can see it being extremely helpful for a two week stay. As CruiserBruce mentioned do your research ahead of time. Figure out what you want then go to Costco locally and see how many items you can use that Costco carries, keeping in mind they do not necessarily carry the same items in Maui.

Also keep in mind that Costco is on the east side of the island in Kahului. You didn't mentioned where you are staying but most resorts are on the west side so plan accordingly.

Also keep in mind that Costco is on the east side of the island in Kahului. You didn't mentioned where you are staying but most resorts are on the west side so plan accordingly.

Our condo is on the west side (Kahana) and this hasn't impacted us. We buy what we can at Costco, then stop at the Safeway in Lahaina for the balance.

Is it really worth going to Costco if you are a couple and going to be in a condo for 2 weeks?

In your case it sounds like you would be better off (if you haven't already) getting and using a Safeway Club card and/or a Foodland Maikai card. You can buy whatever size portions of what you want that way, and the market locations may be more convenient than Costco. Have to agree about Costco gas prices though.

We do have a Costco card and shop there often. Most things we buy do last us a long time however. We do not each much meat so wouldn't be buying it there. We will eat in restaurants a lot but eat breakfast and some lunches in our condo, which is in Kahana. We are planning to do our main shopping at Walmart probably as I hear it is cheaper than most places as it is here in BC.

Maybe we would get a case of water and one of Coke or something at Costco. I have heard they have a lot of cards you can buy with savings at restaurants and such, is that so? What is available does anyone know. We will be there in December.

Connie

We are two people living here on the Hilo side of the Big Island. We do a "Costco run" about every 6 weeks.....it is a 2.5 hour drive (over to the Kona side), but we buy mostly canned goods and staples and cleaning supplies, etc. We got a brand new Target about 2 years ago here in Hilo and I now do about 90% of my grocery shopping at Target. We also have a new, big Safeway right next to Target, but Safeway cannot compete. I do buy most of my meat at Safeway, but only what is on sale for that week. The best deals are in the huge packages of meat....and I then break that down for individual servings and fill the freezer. Stuff like cereal, crackers, condiments, bread, frozen goods,, soft drinks, juices, milk and many vegetables are about 1/2 price at Target than what I would pay at Safeway. I also shop at the local farmer's markets on the weekends for some fruits and produce. I think for a one week stay, you would do best by shopping at Target, getting a couple of things at Safeway (with the club card) and skipping Costco. Hit the farmer's markets and enjoy!

Our condo is on the west side (Kahana) and this hasn't impacted us. We buy what we can at Costco, then stop at the Safeway in Lahaina for the balance.

In your case it sounds like you would be better off (if you haven't already) getting and using a Safeway Club card and/or a Foodland Maikai card. You can buy whatever size portions of what you want that way, and the market locations may be more convenient than Costco. Have to agree about Costco gas prices though.

We're in South Maui & stock up on supplies at Costco for our house but we're now more selective about food purchases. As Silver Sweethearts recommended, we use market club cards to purchase some smaller quantities of perishable food items at markets such as Safeway.

But we still purchase most of our food & drinks (including alcohol) at Costco for our monthlong visits. Costco is also good for buying clothes & if you're looking for tees or Aloha-wear you can't beat the prices...$19.99 for a nice Aloha-shirt. We also take coffee, macs and clothing to Ohana on the mainland.

Costco gas is currently $2.65 and the next cheapest price is $3.19 at Tesoro on Dairy Rd. as you leave Costco.

"Dreamer115"...if you don't overbuy then I'd think a trip to Costco for a 2 week condo stay would be a good option. They have some freshly made take & bake items and cold deli items including poke. It's only a 20 minute drive to our house & we use ice chests with blue ice to keep frozen & perishables cold. If you're driving to West Maui (between Lahaina & Kapalua) that's about a minimum 45 minute drive & you could get to your condo with defrosted food.

All Costco's have those whole rotessirie chickens for about $5 including here in Maui. :) They also sell rotessirie white meat chicken pieces which we use in salads, sandwiches & recipes.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Is it really worth going to Costco if you are a couple and going to be in a condo for 2 weeks? What do you buy that can be consumed in that time? I find everything here to be is such large quantities that it takes time to eat. I did hear someone say that they get cooked chicken for $4.99 is that correct? That would be worth it for sure.

Connie

I don't get all the "it isn't worth it for only a week" comments.

Costco has lots of items appropriate for a week's visit, including the rotisserie chicken, wine, soda, water, pre-made salad, a poke bar, fresh meat, fresh fish, clothing and snack items.

Here is a great link from Tasty Island on some of the local products you can buy.

http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2013/04/19/costco-made-in-hawaii-eats/

You can get lau lau, Kalua pig, poi, lomi lomi, saimin, manapua, pineapple, papaya, fresh local pies, POG, Portuguese sausage and more.

I could go to Costco for a three night stay with no issues.

AND don't forget gas for your rental car!

Absolutely...Costco gas is currently $2.65 and the next cheapest price is $3.19 (cash) at Tesoro on Dairy Rd. as you leave Costco.

Since July the roads accessing the airport have changed & construction is continuing on the new rental car facility.

http://mauinow.com/2016/07/20/airport-access-road-construction-zone-notice-to-motorists/