Toulon-Nice feasibility

can0711

We are docking in Toulon in November, and we were thinking of going to Nice. But I just found out it's a 2 hour train ride/one way, so we may only have 4 hours to spend in Nice. Is it still worth it or is there any other itinerary to go? Thanks.

We are docking in Toulon in November, and we were thinking of going to Nice. But I just found out it's a 2 hour train ride/one way, so we may only have 4 hours to spend in Nice. Is it still worth it or is there any other itinerary to go? Thanks.

Nice is nice and we love the city and its surrounding region. But its not worth 4 hours round trip from Toulon...as you will be wasting a good part of your short port time just in transportation mode. If Nice is a priority, next time consider a cruise that ports at Villefranche, Monte Carlo....or even Cannes.

Hank

Nice is nice and we love the city and its surrounding region. But its not worth 4 hours round trip from Toulon...as you will be wasting a good part of your short port time just in transportation mode. If Nice is a priority, next time consider a cruise that ports at Villefranche, Monte Carlo....or even Cannes.

Hank

Ditto. It will actually be more than 4 hours because you have to include the time to get to the train stations and wait for the trains. And add a little extra time to allow for delays so you don't miss the ship. So, at least 5 hours out of your day for travel.

There is plenty to see out of Toulon. Just scan these boards to get you started.

Thanks. I guess I will just stroll around Toulon. What is the must-see in Toulon?

Not enough. Do a little more research on excursions to Aix, Cassis, Hyeres, etc, etc. Plenty of suggestions in these boards, guide books and Trip advisor.

In mid-November, how is the weather in that area? Is the view still nice in Cassis or Aix-en-Provence?

Yes, to both. Aix would be better. It is a city and plenty to see. Cassis is smaller and if it is rainy, you might not want to take a boat ride to the Calanques.

However, there are plenty of excursions that include both Aix and Cassis. If you are planning on public transport, pick Aix.

The weather will be cool and it could be rainy.

can0711-

The best place to start is your ship's excursions. That will show you what is interesting and doable out of each port. It will give you an idea of how much time for each place or places.

Then, you can decide based on interest, time and money whether you want:

-to go on a ship's excursion (easiest),

-use public transport for one of those places (more time consuming), or

-arrange for a private excursion to some of the places included in the ship's excursions (this is the most time efficient and it lets you choose places that interest you).

I had the same thing in mind. We will be docked in Toulon and we were thinking of renting a car and going to MONACO. Am I crazy for even thinking about this? We are in port from 9am to 6pm. Also is driving in southern France easy or difficult to find your way around?

I had the same thing in mind. We will be docked in Toulon and we were thinking of renting a car and going to MONACO. Am I crazy for even thinking about this? We are in port from 9am to 6pm. Also is driving in southern France easy or difficult to find your way around?

It is two hours each way by the Autoroutes - about 100 miles. I find driving there easy, but I do it often and know the roads well. There are plenty of parking decks in Monaco.

So, you are going to be 9 hours in port. At least, 4 of those you will spend driving. You need to add the time to pick up and return the car and to get from the ship to the rental agency and back, possibly another hour. Plus a little more to allow for traffic in Toulon and Monaco and finding parking. Plus, you may have to add time for disembarking and some more to get back to the ship with enough time. You do the math.

And where is your next port? You may have to drive there if you miss the ship.

Rent the car. It will be ideal for driving to Aix and Cassis. Aix is one hour from Toulon. The exit for Cassis is halfway on that same road. So, it will be about 30 minutes Aix to Cassis and 30 more Cassis to Toulon.

And look at the maps to help you decide...

Edited by marazul

Hope I'm not too late with this suggestion...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2016/07/14/one-way-to-do-toulon-and-cassis/

27669671786_7e6305fdee_z.jpg