NYC Restaurants

Misty_Que

This is going to be an odd request but I am needing a list of restaurant recommendations that serve regular food. Nothing exciting, or ethnic, just regular Canadian/American type food.

I am planning this group family cruise with a 3 night stay in NYC. Much to my disappointment, they are mostly picky eaters who will not even try anything new or different. Some of them don't even like Italian :eek:

So, please give me your recommendations on restaurants where I can take them preferably in the Midtown area. I just rather have this all planned out so there is no arguing or complaining when we get there! :confused:

How many people and what part of Manhattan? Burgers, steak, chicken? Drinks (I'd need several with that group)? Are you staying in Manhattan? (Can't remember the final word from the earlier posts.)

Zagat is always good. There's an awful lot of ethnic food, seafood, etc., in Manhattan. Not sure you're going to find a place with beer, back bacon, and tuques :). (Obscure reference to "Great White North" on SCTV from a very long time ago.)

You might look at Heartland Brewery. It's not my favorite brewpub, but it's not bad. Four Midtown locations; three take reservations. The menus are all pretty straight forward, with a decent choice of beer, and they're at least local.

Are you at least doing pizza? Is that an option for this question? No reservations, and you can end up with a wait, but John's on 44th is a good choice, and it's big and can handle groups (although you'll wait).

There are so many great places and ethnic places that we only do "plain and simple" when we're just looking for food, and more often than not we'll just hit a bodega.

Try googling ZAGAT.com-NYC

It is a great restaurant guide

Thanks! I will be sure to check it out.

How many people and what part of Manhattan? Burgers, steak, chicken? Drinks (I'd need several with that group)? Are you staying in Manhattan? (Can't remember the final word from the earlier posts.)

Zagat is always good. There's an awful lot of ethnic food, seafood, etc., in Manhattan. Not sure you're going to find a place with beer, back bacon, and tuques :). (Obscure reference to "Great White North" on SCTV from a very long time ago.)

You might look at Heartland Brewery. It's not my favorite brewpub, but it's not bad. Four Midtown locations; three take reservations. The menus are all pretty straight forward, with a decent choice of beer, and they're at least local.

Are you at least doing pizza? Is that an option for this question? No reservations, and you can end up with a wait, but John's on 44th is a good choice, and it's big and can handle groups (although you'll wait).

There are so many great places and ethnic places that we only do "plain and simple" when we're just looking for food, and more often than not we'll just hit a bodega.

We are staying at the Novotel. It is very close to a bus tour we are taking and I got a great deal that I couldn't pass up.

I am thinking steak, chicken and sandwich places will be the preferred choices. Altho the delicious NYC deli shops may not work...but I am sure gonna try as that is top on my list! And I am sure we will hit a pizza place. Pizza is always accepted. Thanks for the recommendation for John's. Will definitely add it to my list.

I am sure my DH and I will split from the group one night so we can go enjoy something more unique. We love trying new places. DH will always order the weirdest thing he can find on a menu! I'm not that adventurous.

Look for any listing that says "American Food". Hurley's Saloon has three floors and they serve the type of food you are looking for, at reasonable for NYC prices. Hurleysnyc.com 232 W 48th St, New York, NY 10036

There is also Junior's in Times Square, nothing fancy but there are burgers and club sandwiches type of thing, and cheese cake!

Ellen's Stardust Diner is fun for your group. The waitstaff are all trying to break into Broadway so they perform while serving.

A good place to look is OpenTable.com You can make reservations right there and also look at menus and reviews. You can search using neighborhoods and food style.

Look for any listing that says "American Food". Hurley's Saloon has three floors and they serve the type of food you are looking for, at reasonable for NYC prices. Hurleysnyc.com 232 W 48th St, New York, NY 10036

There is also Junior's in Times Square, nothing fancy but there are burgers and club sandwiches type of thing, and cheese cake!

Ellen's Stardust Diner is fun for your group. The waitstaff are all trying to break into Broadway so they perform while serving.

A good place to look is OpenTable.com You can make reservations right there and also look at menus and reviews. You can search using neighborhoods and food style.

Thank you for the suggestions. I started looking on Zagat last night and focused on American food places. And I guess Hurley's Saloon will be a good choice seeing there are club sandwiches on the menu. That is my Dad's favourite and about all he will order in a restaurant!

Juniors is a definite must on my list for their cheesecake alone. And we are already planning to make a stop at Ellen's. I think my group will enjoy it.

Check to make sure the strike at Ellen's is over. And expect mediocre, overpriced food if you go, but the singing is cool, assuming the strike *is* over.

Thanks, didn't know about the strike. DH and I have been before and while the food was ok, the experience was worth it. Will probably just stop for a light lunch or snack just so everyone can experience it.

There is also Dave & Buster's and Applebee's on W. 42nd Street between 7th & 8th Avenues, and Ruby Tuesday on 7th Avenue & 41st. You can probably fire a cannon through those places without hitting a New Yorker, but they may be exactly what you're looking for. For you and your husband, I suggest you look at Restaurant Row (46th Street between 9th & 10th Avenues).

Edited by Langoustine

There is also Dave & Buster's and Applebee's on W. 42nd Street between 7th & 8th Avenues, and Ruby Tuesday on 7th Avenue & 41st. You can probably fire a cannon through those places without hitting a New Yorker, but they may be exactly what you're looking for. For you and your husband, I suggest you look at Restaurant Row (46th Street between 9th & 10th Avenues).

You forgot Olive Garden (although that's allegedly Italian, which some of her crew doesn't like). :)

I started to say Hard Rock Cafe, but I just couldn't make myself do it... (Although they have a great bar and their burgers are still good.)

+1 on Restaurant Row!

This is going to be an odd request but I am needing a list of restaurant recommendations that serve regular food. Nothing exciting, or ethnic, just regular Canadian/American type food.

I am planning this group family cruise with a 3 night stay in NYC. Much to my disappointment, they are mostly picky eaters who will not even try anything new or different. Some of them don't even like Italian :eek:

So, please give me your recommendations on restaurants where I can take them preferably in the Midtown area. I just rather have this all planned out so there is no arguing or complaining when we get there! :confused:

You need a reservation, but I recommend Jo Allen on restaurant row. It is not a chain restaurant like many of the ones suggested on this board. Food is burgers and the like.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Check to make sure the strike at Ellen's is over. And expect mediocre, overpriced food if you go, but the singing is cool, assuming the strike *is* over.

There's a strike :eek: We love their breakfasts; really set you up for the day.

I agree Ellen's is worth a trip even though food is not that great, Juniors is a good Jewish deli and I am sure you everyone can find something they like on that large menu. Loads of upscale steak places we like Gallaghers ( across the St from Ellen's) it is 90 years old.

There is also Dave & Buster's and Applebee's on W. 42nd Street between 7th & 8th Avenues, and Ruby Tuesday on 7th Avenue & 41st. Y

If you come to NYC and want to eat at a chain restaurant fine but note some national promotions may not be available.

The Applebees on 42nd Street does not have the 2 for $20 or 2 For $25 (what ever the amount) promotion but any other Applebees in the city does have it even the one across from Juniors on DeKalb Ave in Brooklyn ;)

If you come to NYC and want to eat at a chain restaurant fine but note some national promotions may not be available.

The Applebees on 42nd Street does not have the 2 for $20 or 2 For $25 (what ever the amount) promotion but any other Applebees in the city does have it even the one across from Juniors on DeKalb Ave in Brooklyn ;)

I think we were both being facetious. I know I was! Other than the rare "I'm starving and just want food," usually at lunch, I don't think I've ever eaten at a chain in Manhattan!

If pizza is an acceptable option, there are many, many pizza places in NYC. As an aside..what do they normally eat at home and if they are that picky, what are they going to eat on the cruise? Depending what your answer is, it may be easier to suggest options for NYC.

Edited by marco

If pizza is an acceptable option, there are many, many pizza places in NYC. As an aside..what do they normally eat at home and if they are that picky, what are they going to eat on the cruise? Depending what your answer is, it may be easier to suggest options for NYC.

I am sure we won't have a problem finding a place to eat. There is only a couple of picky eaters in the group but they will just have to get out of their shell and try new things. They are not travellers by any means so they may go into shock when I bring them to NYC! They are from a small town with only a few hundred, maybe 1000 people. They have been on one other cruise and didn't have any issues so I'm sure they will manage. As long as there is steak and chicken on the menu they will survive. Oh and some seafood.

I am sure we won't have a problem finding a place to eat.

There is only a couple of picky eaters in the group but they will just have to get out of their shell and try new things.

They are not travelers by any means so they may go into shock when I bring them to NYC! They are from a small town with only a few hundred, maybe 1000 people. They have been on one other cruise and didn't have any issues so I'm sure they will manage.

As long as there is steak and chicken on the menu they will survive.

Oh and some seafood.

Picky eaters

Go to NYC hungry.

"...And I'm beyond your peripheral vision,

So you might want to turn your head

Cause someday you might find you're starving

and eating all of the words you said.”

Ani DiFranco

Edited by $hip$hape

Hmmm Steak, chicken and some seafood then you're probably limited to only about 5000 restaurants in NYC. I don't think you'll have any problem...just don't go to any ethnic restaurants IE: Ethiopian, Turkish, Thai, Jamaican, etc though they all will have beef, chicken and seafood the spices they use not be to their liking. (Although they're my favorites when I'm in the city)

Hmmm Steak, chicken and some seafood then you're probably limited to only about 5000 restaurants in NYC. I don't think you'll have any problem...just don't go to any ethnic restaurants IE: Ethiopian, Turkish, Thai, Jamaican, etc though they all will have beef, chicken and seafood the spices they use not be to their liking. (Although they're my favorites when I'm in the city)

Ethnic places are definitely off the list. I can't even handle some of those spices ;)

Edited by Misty_Que