Directions to Cape Liberty

BTSEN5

I posted this on the West Coast Departure boards accidentally this morning. It was early, and I must have still been foggy. I do not know how to move the post, so I am re posting it here. I am awake for the most part now. :rolleyes:

Hi,

I have a friend who will leaving on the Anthem of the Seas in February. I have been to the port, but I remember having a dickens of a time with the GPS. I warned her about that and told her I would get her directions.

She will be going via the turnpike, and these are the directions that the port website gives:

Take the NJ turnpike/I-95 North to Exit 14-A (toll).

Pay toll at exit and continue straight after traffic light onto bridge.

Follow signs for route 440-South.

Proceed 1 ½ miles and make a left into the Bayonne Ocean Terminal

(Port Terminal Blvd.)

The cruise terminal is 2 miles straight ahead.

ADDRESS: 14 Port Terminal Blvd. Bayonne, NJ

*Parking at the port is $20.00 per day. It is a safe and secure parking area. They accept cash and credit cards.

Is there anything in the above that will direct them better? Is there construction that may be an issue. I know it is a couple 3+ months out, but are you aware of any traffic problems?

They may be staying the night before. We stayed in Jersey City for our cruise and loved it, but I also told them about the Radisson through Trinity Reservations. That seems like a very good deal, but thinking they may want to park at the port.

I'm just hoping that I can prevent the same issues we had getting to port for them.

Thanks in advance for your help. Have a great weekend.

I posted this on the West Coast Departure boards accidentally this morning. It was early, and I must have still been foggy. I do not know how to move the post, so I am re posting it here. I am awake for the most part now. :rolleyes:

Hi,

I have a friend who will leaving on the Anthem of the Seas in February. I have been to the port, but I remember having a dickens of a time with the GPS. I warned her about that and told her I would get her directions.

She will be going via the turnpike, and these are the directions that the port website gives:

Take the NJ turnpike/I-95 North to Exit 14-A (toll).

Pay toll at exit and continue straight after traffic light onto bridge.

Follow signs for route 440-South.

Proceed 1 ½ miles and make a left into the Bayonne Ocean Terminal

(Port Terminal Blvd.)

The cruise terminal is 2 miles straight ahead.

ADDRESS: 14 Port Terminal Blvd. Bayonne, NJ

*Parking at the port is $20.00 per day. It is a safe and secure parking area. They accept cash and credit cards.

Is there anything in the above that will direct them better? Is there construction that may be an issue. I know it is a couple 3+ months out, but are you aware of any traffic problems?

They may be staying the night before. We stayed in Jersey City for our cruise and loved it, but I also told them about the Radisson through Trinity Reservations. That seems like a very good deal, but thinking they may want to park at the port.

I'm just hoping that I can prevent the same issues we had getting to port for them.

Thanks in advance for your help. Have a great weekend.

This is the current thread about the exit 14a construction - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2375544&highlight=Chosin

These directions are not the most current. Traffic patterns have been rearranged at exit 14a. The construction has actually improved the signage at the exit. There are now two fairly well marked ways to get into the port via either route 440 or Avenue E. Written directions are probably best. Read through the thread carefully to see if you have questions. Our Bayonne cruisers have been very good about providing construction updates and answering questions.

Which Feb cruise are they on? It's always good to have a plan B in the winter. I'm sailing Feb 7 for 12 days and am using the trinity reservations package for a sleep/park/cruise for the Ramada. This works well for me because port parking would be $240 and the package is $219. However, the other Feb cruises are 7 days, so parking is only $140.

Is your friend coming from Virginia Beach? It's at least a 6 hour drive. I love the idea of staying in Jersey City, but it may not be worth it unless they also want to go into New York for the evening. I would suggest looking at the hotels on International Blvd in Elizabeth at Exit 13a - Embassy Suites, Country Inns, Courtyard Elizabeth, and Residence Inn. These hotels are next to the Jersey Gardens Mall and are an easy on/easy off the turnpike.

This is the current thread about the exit 14a construction - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2375544&highlight=Chosin

These directions are not the most current. Traffic patterns have been rearranged at exit 14a. The construction has actually improved the signage at the exit. There are now two fairly well marked ways to get into the port via either route 440 or Avenue E. Written directions are probably best. Read through the thread carefully to see if you have questions. Our Bayonne cruisers have been very good about providing construction updates and answering questions.

Which Feb cruise are they on? It's always good to have a plan B in the winter. I'm sailing Feb 7 for 12 days and am using the trinity reservations package for a sleep/park/cruise for the Ramada. This works well for me because port parking would be $240 and the package is $219. However, the other Feb cruises are 7 days, so parking is only $140.

Is your friend coming from Virginia Beach? It's at least a 6 hour drive. I love the idea of staying in Jersey City, but it may not be worth it unless they also want to go into New York for the evening. I would suggest looking at the hotels on International Blvd in Elizabeth at Exit 13a - Embassy Suites, Country Inns, Courtyard Elizabeth, and Residence Inn. These hotels are next to the Jersey Gardens Mall and are an easy on/easy off the turnpike.

Coming up from Baltimore for the Anthem on Feb 26th. Even though I am a few hour drive, we always come up the night before. Too may ways for traffic to stop/crawl on 95/Turnpike for me to feel safe about making it on time. They are running an SPG member special right now and we got a decent price at the W in Hoboken. on PATH to NYC and easy drive to Cape Liberty.

Thanks for the great advice on directions. When we went out of Bayonne we thought using the GPS would be a good idea, but it took us three times to realize that we were being told to actually exit the turnpike and get right back on. ??? We never could figure out how that happened. I do not trust my GPS going up there.