Scooter-friendly ports of call

MaDenne

Hello Fellow Cruisers!

We will be going on the HAL Mexican Riviera cruise in December, stopping in Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta.

My husband now uses a scooter and I am thinking that maybe some of the older parts of the cities we will be visiting might not be "scooter friendly"; cobblestones, narrow streets, uneven sidewalks, etc.

Also there are probably some sights that are a lot more accessable than others, and maybe even some shore excursions we should stay clear of.

If any of you have been to these ports of call with either a wheelchair or electric scooter and could shed some light, we would be most grateful.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello Fellow Cruisers!

We will be going on the HAL Mexican Riviera cruise in December, stopping in Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta.

My husband now uses a scooter and I am thinking that maybe some of the older parts of the cities we will be visiting might not be "scooter friendly"; cobblestones, narrow streets, uneven sidewalks, etc.

Also there are probably some sights that are a lot more accessable than others, and maybe even some shore excursions we should stay clear of.

If any of you have been to these ports of call with either a wheelchair or electric scooter and could shed some light, we would be most grateful.

The only scooter non friendly port would be Cabo. It is a tender port. The tenders aren't designed to handle scooters.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Fellow Cruisers!

I have a Travelscoot and use it in Puerto Vallarta for 3 months with very little problems. Some of the streets are bumpy and don't have the cut-outs but if you get a taxi (van) from the port to the downtown area and go on the Malecon it is great with a scooter. You are right beside the ocean and have all kinds of shops and restaurants on the other side. There is even a lane for bikes only (it is a pedestrian only street). You can go for about one hour from the start of the Malecon (MacDonalds is right on the corner at the start) and end up at Los Muertos Beach at the other end. Get the taxi to drop you at MacDonald's and you are on your way.

I get my Travelscoot on the tender boats with no problem but it only weighs about 35 pounds and the ship crew carry it on the tender boat for me.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Glad to help.

Wendy