The Quest to find Fernando's 100% Agave in Mahahual

tallyho8

With help from all of you I can now confirm that Fernando's is on the malecon between Martillo and Coronado but much closer to Martillo which is the street with the fruit stand.

In fact I just went to Google Maps and searched for Fernando's 100% Agave Quintana Roo Mexico and the map showed it in that spot so I guess the Google Map has been updated recently.

I know where he is now, I just hope he will still be there when we visit in February during Lent.

With help from all of you I can now confirm that Fernando's is on the malecon between Martillo and Coronado but much closer to Martillo which is the street with the fruit stand.

In fact I just went to Google Maps and searched for Fernando's 100% Agave Quintana Roo Mexico and the map showed it in that spot so I guess the Google Map has been updated recently.

I know where he is now, I just hope he will still be there when we visit in February during Lent.

We'll be there in early January.:D I saw the Google map and at first I thought it might have been his old first place on the malecon because when I zoomed in I was getting an overwrite on the BBQ place that took over there and since closed. Thanks so much again AKLydia.

We're heading to Nohoch Kay for the day, as we've know Jaime since his Playa days and DW loves to go there. But I'm seriously considering doing a walk along the entire malecon with either a video or pictures of each place, starting at the light house and heading south even past the municipal pier, but not as far as Maya Chan, just so people can get a reference points when looking at spots here. So much has changed and the Maya Beach Gardens map is way out of date.

• 1 month later...

One constant in Mahahual is that restaurants and beach clubs keep changing.

See the linked newsletter. http://www.mayanbeachgarden.com/CostaMaya_Mahahual_Newsletter_2015-08-22.html#mahahual

Good source of recent pictures of old standbys and replacement places.

And do note that many of these newer places are not good, can't tell you the source of their fish, have poor service, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
Our ship is stopping at Maya Key next month and we wanted to check out Fernando's. What's the best beach to go to that's nearby? I was looking at Yaya.

Also, should we get reservations at Fernando's?

I think YaYa would be close. It's at the intersection of Coronado, so facing the beach you would just go left (north) less than a block. IIRC, the fruit stand is next to Hotel El Cabillo Blanco (good chilaquiles for breakfast and in season they have lobster). Not sure if Fernando has a web site to make reservations. But you might check to see if the old FB page is still around.

• 3 months later...
I'll be at Fernando's on February 12. Sure hope he is open. Best host in all of Costa Maya.

I think it will depend on the number of ships in port and how long they are staying. We were in CM 3 weeks ago and he wasn't open. We were the only ship in port and everyone had to be back on board at 1:30P.

If he's open try the Xcalak "moonshine" from the new micro distillery in Xcalak. Strong stuff. Fernando and Nohoch Kay are the only one's selling it. Also Fernando is the only one selling the craft beer from I think the same place but at least the same town. Really wanted to try that. Passed on the bottle of hooch at NK after a tasting shot. Wasn't for me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

we were last December in the restaurant fernando and I can say that still maintains a great restaurant with very attentive service and serving their customers exquisitely. It has a good variety of food and explains in detail the differences and agave tequila.

The dishes are prepared and dedicated ourselves very abundant.

The restaurant is small with7 tables inside and 2-3 outside, but enough.

When I return in November if I have to do more than 300km, it will be worth the trip

Remenber, closed on mondays:)

• 1 month later...
Tallyho,

Where you able to get to Fernando's?

For those interested: Here's the outside.P1012172.jpg

We had to be back on our ship at 3 and this was before Fernando opened. He is opening late now so he will not get many cruise ship visitors.

We heard a story about Fernando from a very reliable source. He said that Fernando was one of the most liked proprietors around with a great personality and always serving great food. However, he was behind in his paperwork with the authorities (to condense the story) and had to wait until after the local official's offices closed at 3 PM before he could open his restaurant.

I hope he can get his legal problems worked out by my next cruise there in January 2017.

Thanks for your update. Nice to learn why he wasn't open. I too have heard that story. Probably the same source as you;).

I keep threatening to head down there for a week, but DW won't go and I have yet to round up a bunch of guys who can all get the same time off. :(

Thanks for your update. Nice to learn why he wasn't open. I too have heard that story. Probably the same source as you;).

I keep threatening to head down there for a week, but DW won't go and I have yet to round up a bunch of guys who can all get the same time off. :(

Perhaps a bunch of gals would be easier to find. :D

We weren't able to go due to the ship leaving too early. :(

• 3 months later...

I'm hearing rumors that there's a new place near where his original off the beach place used to be over by the soccer field where the owner's name was "Fernando". Assuming it may be one and the same. Best to head for his store just down that street and inquire there. As his place on the malecon really doesn't have loungers (I believe the ones in front belong to Ibiza Sunset) best to either wing it or make a reservation at Tropicante . But if walking down the malecon, you can most likely stop anywhere.

• 2 months later...