RCCL Chichen Itza Excursion No Longer Listed?

LMK5

I was looking for some shore excursions on the RCCL web site for my Cozumel port of call in April 2017 when I found a Chichen Itza excursion (CZK8). However, when I went to the listing of shore excursions for my cruise on the same RCCL web site it wasn't listed. I called RCCL but they seemed to be dumbfounded.

Has anyone sailed to Cozumel on RCCL without this excursion being offered? Is there a chance it will appear on the list closer to the sail date? I'm thinking this would be a very popular excursion so it'd be hard to believe they wouldn't offer it.

FYI we're in port from 7AM till 5PM so there's enough time for the excursion.

The reason it is not listed is that the ruins are too far away from Cozumel given your time. Chichen Itza is best saved for either a stop in Progresso or a land vacation on the mainland.

But RCCL has the excursion listed under the Cozumel shore excursions section, and they do provide it for some cruises to Cozumel. The excursion is listed at 8 hours, and we'll be in port for 10 hours, from 7am until 5PM. Doesn't make sense.

• 2 weeks later...
But RCCL has the excursion listed under the Cozumel shore excursions section, and they do provide it for some cruises to Cozumel. The excursion is listed at 8 hours, and we'll be in port for 10 hours, from 7am until 5PM. Doesn't make sense.

They could have an issue with the excursion or transportation company. Maybe they offered it and found out there were too many complaints because of the long ride and the short time at the site, maybe they just didn't want to offer it any longer because not enough people booked it, maybe the bus company chartered out their busses for a week....there could be a number of reasons why they pulled it.

Cruises don't always offer the same excursions on every cruise. There are many different factors that go into it.

I am also cruising to cozumel next year. And despite the fact rccl general excursions page list 60+ excursions our specific cruise only has 43. And of course all the one I really would love are not part of the 43. According to a rep I talked to excursions could be added until final payment day. Over the summer a few excursions were added to mine but none since summer. Anyways I would recommend booking another excursion because the sale on excursions ends today. And if they later add something you want more you can always cancel.

They could have an issue with the excursion or transportation company. Maybe they offered it and found out there were too many complaints because of the long ride and the short time at the site, maybe they just didn't want to offer it any longer because not enough people booked it, maybe the bus company chartered out their busses for a week....there could be a number of reasons why they pulled it.

Cruises don't always offer the same excursions on every cruise. There are many different factors that go into it.

Yes I think you're right, although I would assume Chichen Itza is a very popular choice for cruisers. When I called RCCL and asked them about this they did say to check back in December.

I am also cruising to cozumel next year. And despite the fact rccl general excursions page list 60+ excursions our specific cruise only has 43. And of course all the one I really would love are not part of the 43. According to a rep I talked to excursions could be added until final payment day. Over the summer a few excursions were added to mine but none since summer. Anyways I would recommend booking another excursion because the sale on excursions ends today. And if they later add something you want more you can always cancel.

Note that actually, very few excursions are being discounted. Also, the only Internet package being discounted is the single device one.

Note that actually, very few excursions are being discounted. Also, the only Internet package being discounted is the single device one.

On ours it looks like all the excursions and most of the spa are discounted. But I have heard it varies from cruise to cruise.

On ours it looks like all the excursions and most of the spa are discounted. But I have heard it varies from cruise to cruise.

My cruise is on spring break 4/2/17 so I'm sure they're not going to throw the massive discounts our way, although they pretend to with the email ads.

Yes I think you're right, although I would assume Chichen Itza is a very popular choice for cruisers. When I called RCCL and asked them about this they did say to check back in December.

The simple answer may be that the tour contractor that Royal Caribbean uses has other obligations on your date in port.

Given the time in port you would be better off any way doing Tulum or Coba. At Coba there is still a pyramid that they allow to be climbed. At Chichen Itza you can only look.

Coba

9856e5ced3d76fa816943c4e7cfec853.jpg

Edited by Charles4515

Like some others, I tend to think there's a problem with the contracted provider they use.

It's also possible the ruins is closed for general maintenance on your dates.

Yes, the tour provider may have other obligations on their date. That is the most likely reason.

General maintenance, I don't think so. It is a huge site and parts are always undergoing maintenance.

Edited by Charles4515

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem. I booked the cruise for the Chichen Itza Excursion and then they told me it is no longer offered. :mad:

I'm sailing in January. They shouldn't advertise as available for the cruise and then tell me it is not offered after I pay for the cruise...:mad:

I called RCL up and they offered me no explanation.