Cruising to South America - which cruise line?

Aussie Tripster

Hi Hubby & I are planning a cruise to SA Jan/Feb 2018 and need some advice/thoughts from people who have done these great cruises as to which cruise line they recommend. We will both be knocking on the door of 60 for this cruise, we have cruised previously with Princess & Celebrity and enjoyed both. We are also wondering whether to include a 'drive-by' of Antarctica? A TA has a cabin on hold for me on the Emerald Princess but I keep umming and arring about HAL? At this stage we are only looking at Princess, Celebrity, HAL & maybe NCL.

You do not want a drive by of Antarctica. Wait until you can afford to take a proper expedition ship to go there. It would be totally frustrating to just look from the ship and the bigger ships cannot go to some of the more scenic areas.

You do not want a drive by of Antarctica. Wait until you can afford to take a proper expedition ship to go there. It would be totally frustrating to just look from the ship and the bigger ships cannot go to some of the more scenic areas.

Thanks for you advice but at this stage we are just planning a South America trip and want to include land tours in Santiago, Torres del Paine, El Calafate, Bariloche, Buenos Aires, Iguazu Falls & Rio. We also want to include a cruise through the Chilean fjords & glaciers departing in either Valparasio or BA, its just that I noticed a HAL cruise to this area that included a 'drive-by' of Antarctica and wondered whether it would be worth doing and if you would see much of the 'white continent' from the ship. We have travelled mainly through Europe, Scandinavia, Africa, & North America but never to South America. It's such a huge continent that its impossible to include all the places we'd love to see on one trip so this is just a little sampler for us with the plans of returning in time to see Peru & Bolivia and maybe as you suggest an expedition to Antarctica. Patagonia & Torres del Paine in particular has been on the bucket list for awhile, so its the major reason for the trip. Thanks for your advice on Antarctica it is much appreciated.

Since I know absolutely about you, let me state my particulars so that you can see where I am coming from.

We just had a fabulous TA from Rotterdam to Boston, via Iceland and Greenland, on HAL. It was one of the best of our 35+ cruises, taken on all major mass-market lines (not including Disney but including MSC and Costa). A very pleasant ship (a sibling of the Zaandam), good food in the MDR and buffet, excellent library, live MSNBC (Republican convention), wonderful room attendant and -- I think this is important -- illuminating lectures about the Viking world.

We expect the same at Christmas/New Year when we board the Zaandam for an Antarctic drive-by.

I am 74 author of a book under construction; my wife is a year older and is losing her memory as a result of brain aneurysm and now dementia. Despite some challenges, we had a great time, although she had no idea where we were even as icebergs floated by.

We had booked an inside L on the Lower Promenade deck because it is just steps away from the biggest balcony at seas -- the Rotterdam circular promenade. HAL upgraded us to an OV (2670) which was a real gift as my wife could see what was going on, even if she had no interest to go up to the deck.

For the Antarctic sail-by, we have booked a great Deck 7 OV at the rear of the ship that overlooks the wake. Outside, just a few steps from the cabin, is a our private balcony -- a huge covered terrace with 180 degree views and loungers. There are only two such cabins on the Zaandam. May the Force be with you.

Neither of us has any interest in stepping on the continent itself. So paying big bucks for that was never an option.

Lastly, in late April we'll sail from Valparaiso to San Francisco on NCL Norwegian Sun, the ship in SA. We got a rear balcony. No great expectations in the food department (and we refuse to pay extra). On that score, the Rotterdam was a pleasant surprise. A good, varied menu. (Here is a tip: You can ask for freshly pressed coffee and they will bring the works to you free of charge). Particularly their fish was outstanding, a rarity on cruise ships in my experience.

One minus was the Rotterdam's lousy Internet (even allowing for the distant Arctic locations) and its expensive wi-fi plans. I don't mind paying but I want it to work. But as a result, I ended up reading some excellent stuff for relaxation before concentrating on my book; not writing really but conceptualizing. I read Erik Larson's In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin and began an excellent by an Australian, R. J. B. Bpsworth, Mussolini's Italy: Life Under the Fascist Dictatorship, 1915-1945. (A great book but so detailed I needed a map of Italy in front of me).

At that point, as a friend commented, I was getting ready for whatever comes in November.

Because of my writing and speech schedules I have my cruises planned for the next two years. For Christmas/New York 2017, we'll take a 14-day cruise from Abu Dhabi to Southern India and back on Celebrity, with New Year's fireworks during an overnight stay in Dubai. If health considerations allow, we plan to revisit Indochina on the HAL Veendam for Christmas 2018.

I am an optimist.

Edited by barante

Since I know absolutely about you, let me state my particulars so that you can see where I am coming from.

We just had a fabulous TA from Rotterdam to Boston, via Iceland and Greenland, on HAL. It was one of the best of our 35+ cruises, taken on all major mass-market lines (not including Disney but including MSC and Costa). A very pleasant ship (a sibling of the Zaandam), good food in the MDR and buffet, excellent library, live MSNBC (Republican convention), wonderful room attendant and -- I think this is important -- illuminating lectures about the Viking world.

We expect the same at Christmas/New Year when we board the Zaandam for an Antarctic drive-by.

I am 74 author of a book under construction; my wife is a year older and is losing her memory as a result of brain aneurysm and now dementia. Despite some challenges, we had a great time, although she had no idea where we were even as icebergs floated by.

We had booked an inside L on the Lower Promenade deck because it is just steps away from the biggest balcony at seas -- the Rotterdam circular promenade. HAL upgraded us to an OV (2670) which was a real gift as my wife could see what was going on, even if she had no interest to go up to the deck.

For the Antarctic sail-by, we have booked a great Deck 7 OV at the rear of the ship that overlooks the wake. Outside, just a few steps from the cabin, is a our private balcony -- a huge covered terrace with 180 degree views and loungers. There are only two such cabins on the Zaandam. May the Force be with you.

Neither of us has any interest in stepping on the continent itself. So paying big bucks for that was never an option.

Lastly, in late April we'll sail from Valparaiso to San Francisco on NCL Norwegian Sun, the ship in SA. We got a rear balcony. No great expectations in the food department (and we refuse to pay extra). On that score, the Rotterdam was a pleasant surprise. A good, varied menu. (Here is a tip: You can ask for freshly pressed coffee and they will bring the works to you free of charge). Particularly their fish was outstanding, a rarity on cruise ships in my experience.

One minus was the Rotterdam's lousy Internet (even allowing for the distant Arctic locations) and its expensive wi-fi plans. I don't mind paying but I want it to work. But as a result, I ended up reading some excellent stuff for relaxation before concentrating on my book; not writing really but conceptualizing. I read Erik Larson's In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin and began an excellent by an Australian, R. J. B. Bpsworth, Mussolini's Italy: Life Under the Fascist Dictatorship, 1915-1945. (A great book but so detailed I needed a map of Italy in front of me).

At that point, as a friend commented, I was getting ready for whatever comes in November.

Because of my writing and speech schedules I have my cruises planned for the next two years. For Christmas/New York 2017, we'll take a 14-day cruise from Abu Dhabi to Southern India and back on Celebrity, with New Year's fireworks during an overnight stay in Dubai. If health considerations allow, we plan to revisit Indochina on the HAL Veendam for Christmas 2018.

I am an optimist.

Thank you for your great insight.....We have only completed 2 cruises so a long way behind you! We usually travel independantly, in Europe especially as we love train travel but have done the Alaskan passage on Princess and the Baltics on Celebrity - loved boh cruises.

I am leaning towards HAL on this one though because of the scenic cruising, but having never sailed on any of her ships its always hard to make that final decision.

Thanks for your tips too, I have checked out the cabins you were talking about, they look like a great idea....Maybe your wife will use the deck with it being so close and relatively private?

Happy & safe sailing to you both.

We were also looking at Princess and HAL for SA.

Look closely at the itinerary. HAL lists a lot of scenic cruising. Princess not so much. Our choice would be HAL because of the scenic cruising of the fjords.

Yes, we are starting to think that way too.

Are you considering the HAL cruise with the 'sail by Antarctica' as well or the round the horn trip?

Decisions, decisions, the planning itself is half the fun!

Thanks for your thoughts.

When we decided on a drive-by from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires rather than BA-Valpo, I read lots of pros and cons. We made the decision largely because I don't like Buenos Ayres (as was the old British spelling) and rather spend a couple of nights in Valparaiso. Never been to that city but if it is anything like Rio (or San Francisco), it is a gem.

I have since been told that there actually may be a good reason to consider the direction. If you go from Valparaiso you see a symphony of sights that reach their crescendo during the drive-by. If you start from BA, everything following the Antarctica may be a blah.

During this search I read a posting by a CC member who complained that HAL was sailing through the iceberg scenery 24 hours a night. Poor planning, the poster said. . .

Yes, we are starting to think that way too.

Are you considering the HAL cruise with the 'sail by Antarctica' as well or the round the horn trip?

Decisions, decisions, the planning itself is half the fun!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Just around the horn. We have already sailed to Antarctica. (You can read about our trip in my travel blog.)

Your age puts you a tiny bit young for HAL :D but my TA is encouraging us to choose that line. She says they 'have a better South America product" than Princess.

Rereading, I see that I said we are planning to take Veendam to Indochina.

Not Veendam, never again. Volendam.

We did a Rio-to-FLL on Veendam, including the Amazon. I swore off HAL for several years after that. Twenty-five continued days of Code Red.

On our recent Rotterdam TA, not a single day of Code Red. And sushi was available for free every day in the buffet.

Should you opt for starting from Valparaiso, just informatively we have booked Ibis on both of forthcoming SA cruises. We once had a captivating hotel in Santa Teresa in the mountains over Rio. The idea was better than reality. All the hills and no elevator. Just about killed us, although the view was spectacular. We want to go for convenience, and Ibis is next to public transportation.

Happy planning.

Edited by barante

Final arguments:

The Rotterdam had a 3 p.m. tea every day, at sea as well as in ports. I expect the same on Zaandam.

Two considerations of importance that have monetary value:

The Zaandam offers free Internet access to the New York Times from the Explorations Cafe, which has the library, as well as from cabins on your own computer.

They also have an array of printed daily news sheets, which on the Rotterdam included Australia Today as well as sheets in Dutch and German.

G'dday.

On our Iceland/Greenland TA we, for the first time, bought a package that entitled us to unlimited laundry for $7 a day (per cabin). It was the best purchase ever and we sure got our money's worth.

We'll do so on the Antarctic itinerary as well since we have pack for hot weather (Valpo, BA) as well as cold. I presume the Zaandam has some laundry facilities but machines are few and in much demand and those loads are not cheap.

Edited by barante

If you're cruising in February 2018, check to see which cruise lines are doing overnight stays in Rio during Carnival. I sailed 12 or 13-nights onboard Celebrity Infinity, starting in Buenos Aires, with calls into Montevideo, Buzios, Portobello, 3 overnight stays in Rio for Carnival, and then returned to Buenos Aires for another overnight onboard.

We have just booked a SA trip around the horn on Oceania, our favorite cruise line. But I just returned from a first-ever Baltic trip on HAL (Zuiderdam) and was pleasantly surprised. We found the service, food, and general atmosphere very pleasant. We have previously sailed Princess and Celebrity, and found HAL a notch above!

For the Antarctic sail-by, we have booked a great Deck 7 OV at the rear of the ship that overlooks the wake. Outside, just a few steps from the cabin, is a our private balcony -- a huge covered terrace with 180 degree views and loungers. There are only two such cabins on the Zaandam.

Thanks for the tip on the cabin!

A TA is holding one of those cabins for us on the HAL Antarctic 'sail-by' on 28th Jan 18..... I've read so many reviews on CC about different cruise lines and sailings which has been very helpful and whether to go East to West or reverse.....Now we just have to decide whether to pay the cheaper price or pay extra for the Explore 4.....Our TA tells me if we we're booking for 2017 we'd get the cheaper price and the Explore 4 package!

Thanks for the tip on the cabin!

A TA is holding one of those cabins for us on the HAL Antarctic 'sail-by' on 28th Jan 18..... I've read so many reviews on CC about different cruise lines and sailings which has been very helpful and whether to go East to West or reverse.....Now we just have to decide whether to pay the cheaper price or pay extra for the Explore 4.....Our TA tells me if we we're booking for 2017 we'd get the cheaper price and the Explore 4 package!

Hi Cathy, I looked at those two cabins, but opted for the Lower Prom, as one can then go from side to side or rear, if necessary to see the wildlife. I sail on this deck when ever possible. ( I sail solo so it is my ''balcony'' cabin) My TA Guru, came to the party, and gave me a part reduction on the fare, plus the explore 4 which I opted for, as it means I will cut down on on board charges which are in USD. K

Hi Cathy, I looked at those two cabins, but opted for the Lower Prom, as one can then go from side to side or rear, if necessary to see the wildlife. I sail on this deck when ever possible. ( I sail solo so it is my ''balcony'' cabin) My TA Guru, came to the party, and gave me a part reduction on the fare, plus the explore 4 which I opted for, as it means I will cut down on on board charges which are in USD. K

I'd love to know who your Guru is !!!

• 2 months later...

any thoughts on the 60 day Jan 2018 Island Princess trip? starts and ends in Ft Lauderdale, just heads south, along the east coast of Brazil - in Rio for Carnival, around the horn, up the west side of SA, through the Panama Canal and eventually back to FLL.

Would love to hear from anyone - this would be a first South America for us, and first time on such a long trip.

Mary

• 3 weeks later...
On our Iceland/Greenland TA we, for the first time, bought a package that entitled us to unlimited laundry for $7 a day (per cabin). It was the best purchase ever and we sure got our money's worth.

We'll do so on the Antarctic itinerary as well since we have pack for hot weather (Valpo, BA) as well as cold. I presume the Zaandam has some laundry facilities but machines are few and in much demand and those loads are not cheap.

It is my understanding Zaandam still has 1 laundry (like 4 washers). Unless something has dramatically changed the cost was around $2/$2.50 a load.

Totally disagree with the poster who said not to do an Antarctica drive by.

I did on Veendam and I don't think I will ever be able to top that trip. Antarctica is simply spectacular. We has a full exploration team (3 phd's) lecturing and a great on location guide. And we had a visit from some of the Researchers from Palmer. We saw thousands of whales, got to Hope Bay, the edge of the Wedrall Sea, Iceberg Alley (Antarctic Sound), Admiralty Bay, Gerlache channel, and made 3 attempts to go through Le Maire Channel, which was chocked with ice.

No, we didn't put our feet on the land. I really don't care about that so much. We did have a crossing of Drake in a much larger vessel that had we had really bad weather we likely would not have bounced as much. And it was a whole lot cheaper than an expedition.

We just booked the 30 days South America on Emerald for 2018 that ends up in LA. We are considering booking the next cruise that is a 28 day round trip from San Pedro that goes to Hawaii and Tahiti! For 4K less than the other 60 day RT from Ft Lauderdale and we have done Panama Canal before also! 3 for free on all of these too!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by GweninTX

• 3 weeks later...

We just booked the 42 day South American Odyssey on the HAL Zaandam for Feb. 2018. We love HAL for the size of their ships and, most importantly, their service. This will be the longest trip we've ever done with them and we are excited. We've done a couple of 1 week Caribbean cruises which are easy for us since we live in Florida but truly love the longer cruises. The beauty of the 42 day is that it starts in Buenos Aires and ends in Fort Lauderdale. Adding Antarctica dramatically increases the price so we're leaving that part for another trip.

Good luck trying to decide on all these wonderful destinations.

Helen