Ft. Lauderdale: New, Best, Different?!!?

TLCOhio

Going way back, we have visited wonderful and charming South Florida many, many times. BUT, it has been a decade or two since being there. Been too busy doing lots in Europe, plus Australia/NZ, Africa, Amazon River, etc.

Am looking to do a Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco cruise through the Panama Canal in late February-early March 2017. This would be our first time for visiting Columbia, Panama Canal, Central America, Mexico, etc.

Any special secrets, ideas, suggestions, experiences, etc., to share as to what is best, new and interesting to feed our loves in history, culture, food, photography and sampling the people and character of Ft. Lauderdale?? Just doing the usual tourist stops/shopping/beach is not our priority as we have done many or most of those options in the past. We fly in the day before our boarding. We do not have a huge amount time in Fort Lauderdale, but there is some afternoon, evening and morning time before our boarding time to sample a few area options.

Any new must-see? Worth it to take that time and effort? For a hotel, we are looking to stay near both the FLL airport and the nearby ship boarding location. Without going crazy on overly-trendy places, what are the best dining stars these days?

Looking forward to the smart sharing of any good, unique ideas, tips and secrets. And, love to read any and all key photo tips for the Twenty-First Century in this great area!! After departing Ft. Lauderdale at 4 pm on February 28, we have two sea-days before arriving in Aruba. No need to "rest up" before those two sea-days. Might as well get a rental car to have/do a few good experiences in the FLL region/area.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 44,022 views for these postings.

Going way back, we have visited wonderful and charming South Florida many, many times. BUT, it has been a decade or two since being there. Been too busy doing lots in Europe, plus Australia/NZ, Africa, Amazon River, etc.

Am looking to do a Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco cruise through the Panama Canal in late February-early March 2017. This would be our first time for visiting Columbia, Panama Canal, Central America, Mexico, etc.

Any special secrets, ideas, suggestions, experiences, etc., to share as to what is best, new and interesting to feed our loves in history, culture, food, photography and sampling the people and character of Ft. Lauderdale?? Just doing the usual tourist stops/shopping/beach is not our priority as we have done many or most of those options in the past. We fly in the day before our boarding. We do not have a huge amount time in Fort Lauderdale, but there is some afternoon, evening and morning time before our boarding time to sample a few area options.

Any new must-see? Worth it to take that time and effort? For a hotel, we are looking to stay near both the FLL airport and the nearby ship boarding location. Without going crazy on overly-trendy places, what are the best dining stars these days?

Looking forward to the smart sharing of any good, unique ideas, tips and secrets. And, love to read any and all key photo tips for the Twenty-First Century in this great area!! After departing Ft. Lauderdale at 4 pm on February 28, we have two sea-days before arriving in Aruba. No need to "rest up" before those two sea-days. Might as well get a rental car to have/do a few good experiences in the FLL region/area.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

I think you will be stunned to find out South Florida is no longer South Florida. It's now the northernmost Caribbean Island.

If you like waterfront dining, Kaluz is lovely. It's where Stan's used to be.

You should also take a stroll down Las Olas Blvd....it might look the same but I don't think there are any restaurants left from 2 decades ago...even Cafe de Paris finally closed. Bimini Boatyard has closed and has been replaced with Boatyard, a beautiful restaurant. Steak 954 at the beach is great. There's a cool new bar/restaurant in Lauderdale by the Sea called Vincent's....most people dine at the bar or at the sidewalk tables.

To help in your research, consult:

I have been living in the South Florida area since 1969. Over the last 20 years it is definitely not the same Ft Lauderdale. My advice is to be careful. Don't wonder off too far off the tourist areas. If you have a car do not leave a bag or anything on the seat when you are not in the car. Stay by the water and you are fine. Las Olas and Riverfront are nice. Not sure what you like to do but Jungle Queen dinner cruise is always fun. You can see the intercoastal waterways, beautiful homes and yachts. Also dinner and a show. Not luxury but fun. Have fun and enjoy our beautiful city but be careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...
I have been living in the South Florida area since 1969. Over the last 20 years it is definitely not the same Ft Lauderdale. My advice is to be careful. Don't wonder off too far off the tourist areas. If you have a car do not leave a bag or anything on the seat when you are not in the car. Stay by the water and you are fine. Las Olas and Riverfront are nice. Not sure what you like to do but Jungle Queen dinner cruise is always fun. You can see the intercoastal waterways, beautiful homes and yachts. Also dinner and a show. Not luxury but fun. Have fun and enjoy our beautiful city but be careful.

Appreciate these excellent suggestions from Howard, Sharon etc. Very helpful!! As we get closer to our February 2017 sailing date, I am getting better focused. Got the smart message for "being careful"!!

Am holding for now, reservations at BOTH the SpringHill Suites near the Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port, plus a more downtown option at the GALLERYone/DoubleTree Suites/Hilton. Each location has its pro/con factors and trade-offs to consider. SpringHill is good and close for the airport and ship boarding for the next day. BUT, not much that good for evening dining and other activities. The DoubleTree costs a little more, but would be more handy for some sampling of the local scene. Added thoughts and opinions?

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 161,378 views for this posting.

Terry - it sounds like you're leaning (correctly, in my opinion :)) towards the Gallery One. It's in a much more interesting location, has it's own water taxi stop, is only a block or two to the beach, and is on the Sun Trolley route. If you arrive in the afternoon you could spend it along the beach exploring by foot or the Sun Trolley. After 5 pm the water taxi sells reduced rate tickets. I'd take advantage of that and ride it to Las Olas or one of the restaurants on the water for dinner and then take a nice tour on the water taxi back to the hotel.

• 3 weeks later...
Terry - it sounds like you're leaning (correctly, in my opinion :)) towards the Gallery One. It's in a much more interesting location, has it's own water taxi stop, is only a block or two to the beach, and is on the Sun Trolley route. If you arrive in the afternoon you could spend it along the beach exploring by foot or the Sun Trolley. After 5 pm the water taxi sells reduced rate tickets. I'd take advantage of that and ride it to Las Olas or one of the restaurants on the water for dinner and then take a nice tour on the water taxi back to the hotel.

Appreciate this good follow-up and your correct "mind-reading". Yes, am leaning now to staying at the Gallery One. Keep it coming!! Getting within two and a half months of our departure date for our "adventure" from Ft. Lauderdale to San Francisco via the Panama Canal. It is getting very cold in the Midwest now and we need to be looking forward to some warmer weather, nice beaches, etc.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 206,378 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Terry I would not stay near the airport.

You will find that many hotels are not far from the airport nor the port and would provide some opportunity to walk around and more choices for dinner.

Personally over the years I have changed my personal preferences to enjoying Miami over Fort Lauderdale. However, we did stay in Fort Lauderdale in January of this year before a Silversea Cruise that began at Port Everglades. As a tourist, I find Miami to be a more vibrant city with an international flavor.

Again, if you want to experience Fort Lauderdale I wouldn't limit yourself to an area airport.

Keith

• 2 months later...
Terry I would not stay near the airport. You will find that many hotels are not far from the airport nor the port and would provide some opportunity to walk around and more choices for dinner. Personally over the years I have changed my personal preferences to enjoying Miami over Fort Lauderdale. However, we did stay in Fort Lauderdale in January of this year before a Silversea Cruise that began at Port Everglades. As a tourist, I find Miami to be a more vibrant city with an international flavor. Again, if you want to experience Fort Lauderdale I wouldn't limit yourself to an area airport. Keith

Appreciate Keith's excellent perspectives and ideas. Our leanings are towards staying closer to the main FL downtown. We have two reservations on hold and will need to scrub one of those in a couple of days. Only eight days till we depart to fly to Florida. Our time in Fort Lauderdale is limited before commencing our Feb. 28 cruise. But, this below article gives more good ideas to consider.

From the Boston Globe Travel Section last weekend, they have this headline: "Lovely Fort Lauderdale has just the right amount of lively" with these highlights: "t takes a while to put a finger on Fort Lauderdale’s pulse. That’s just because it’s a city with so many different heartbeats. Fort Lauderdale has long since bid farewell to the collegiate debauchery that reached its pinnacle in the ’80s, making it an excellent place for millennials, families, and snowbirds alike to discover a cool cocktail of artsy sophistication, retro-kitsch, and timeless seashore merriment. One could argue that Fort Lauderdale’s heyday is happening right now."

Here are a few other highlights from their profile: "Fort Lauderdale is best seen from the water, particularly from a water taxi. Motoring through the city’s extensive network of waterways, it becomes clear why the city is known as the Venice of America. A smattering of venues, including the Broward Performing Arts Center, the Florida Grand Opera, and the NSU Art Museum, have their homes within the Riverwalk Arts and Entertainment District. In Himmarshee Village, you’ll have plenty barstools to choose from at hip gastro-pubs and eclectic eateries along Southwest 2nd Street. "

Full story at:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/travel/2017/02/09/lovely-fort-lauderdale-has-just-right-amount-lively/HcV60u1zY8L2miKjGmKxZP/story.html

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 29,964 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Edited by TLCOhio

Terry, by far the Doubletree Gallery One is far superior to Springhill Suites. It's really a great hotel in a fantastic location.

Appreciate this added "Vote of Confidence" that spending more for the location and hotel will be worth it. Any other great tips for what is wonderful to see, do and enjoy that is here and nearby? Keep up the great and helpful sharing, tips and insights.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 171,323 views for this posting.

Appreciate this added "Vote of Confidence" that spending more for the location and hotel will be worth it. Any other great tips for what is wonderful to see, do and enjoy that is here and nearby? Keep up the great and helpful sharing, tips and insights.

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 171,323 views for this posting.

Make sure you take the water taxi after dark. The views are amazing, it is really magical.

We do not have a huge amount time in Fort Lauderdale, but there is some afternoon, evening and morning time before our boarding time to sample a few area options.

Without going crazy on overly-trendy places, what are the best dining stars these days?

Terry...The problem with these out of town folks is they think all Greater Ft. Lauderdale consist of only three streets, 17th Street, Las Olas Blvd. and A1A. If it's not on one of those three streets they think it's just all wrong. They fly in, stay at the same place on one of those streets over and over again and don't have the foggiest clue what else is out there to see and do within a limited amount of time.

Gallery One - Nice place on the Intracoastal with a Water Taxi stop. The question would be will you have time or even be interested in the Water Taxi? It's next door to a very nice mall with some good upscale chain restaurants and it is a short walk to the beach. It tends to be a bit pricey this time of year, though, and there are no shuttles so you will add even more $$$ to get to the hotel and then to the port. For only one night is it worth paying extra for?

SpringHill Suites - Older, but more than adequate with clean, comfortable and spacious rooms, good breakfast, complimentary shuttles from the airport and to Port Everglades. It's located across Stirling Road from Oakwood Plaza Mall with a K-Mart that has a decent selection of popular wines and next door to them is BJ's Wholesale Club were you don't need a membership to buy beer, wine and liquor. In addition to all the usual fast food places is Moonlite Diner, Hollywood Ale House, Sal's Italian Ristorante, Red Lobster, TGIFriday's, Dave and Buster's and Sweet Tomatoes (one of my favorite). About a half mile to the east at the corner of Federal Highway(US-1) is Jaxson's Ice Cream Parlor & Restaurant which was opened in 1956 and still owned by the same person...

http://jaxsonsicecream.com/about-us/

Bottom line...I'm guessing the Gallery One is going to be $125-$150 more expensive when you add in airport and port transfers. Is it worth it to you for your limited time in Ft Lauderdale? Not for me. I could find a better way to spend that money, such as on excursions.

And then there is the Hampton Inn - Plantation with complimentary airport and Port Everglades shuttles.

We really like Rainbow Palace. 4 Star Chinese white tablecloth restaurant. Grand Marnier with Sesame Seed Scallops are incredible. Have had specials of Seared Lamb Chops or Veal Chop are also excellent. My Wife always gets the Rice flour encrusted N Y Strip. Also excellent More normal Fare like Stir Fry and won Ton Soup

Terry...The problem with these out of town folks is they think all Greater Ft. Lauderdale consist of only three streets, 17th Street, Las Olas Blvd. and A1A. If it's not on one of those three streets they think it's just all wrong. They fly in, stay at the same place on one of those streets over and over again and don't have the foggiest clue what else is out there to see and do within a limited amount of time.

Gallery One - Nice place on the Intracoastal with a Water Taxi stop. The question would be will you have time or even be interested in the Water Taxi?

SpringHill Suites - Older, but more than adequate with clean, comfortable and spacious rooms, good breakfast, complimentary shuttles from the airport and to Port Everglades.

Bottom line...I'm guessing the Gallery One is going to be $125-$150 more expensive when you add in airport and port transfers. Is it worth it to you for your limited time in Ft Lauderdale? Not for me. I could find a better way to spend that money, such as on excursions.

swscruiser: restaurant. Grand Marnier with Sesame Seed Scallops are incredible. Have had specials of Seared Lamb Chops or Veal Chop are also excellent. My Wife always gets the Rice flour encrusted N Y Strip. Also excellent More normal Fare like Stir Fry and won Ton Soup

Appreciate these two excellent follow-ups' date=' ideas and comments. The [/font']analysis by Lido_Deck is very, very solid. BUT, but we were able to get the GalleryOne at a better price than you estimated. AND, given the time we have after our Monday early afternoon arrival at FLL, we can do a number of "good things" on our wish list for the Fort Lauderdale area. This includes several good dining places for dinner and breakfast, plus a little sampling of the beach, some shopping, doing the Water Taxi, etc. For us, spending a little more will give us a decent "return" for our time and money. Worth it for us. Personal choice!

ADDED QUESTIONS?: Any reactions as to whether the Bonnet House is that interesting? Its gardens? Nice, but only OK? Or, super special and very unique? Like visiting older, unique, historic homes, but not sure if this one is that high up on the potential priority list. Primanti Brothers Restaurant at 901 N. Atlantic Blvd., overlooking the beach, seems different and interesting for a mid-morning breakfast before heading to the ship in the early afternoon.Il Mulino Restaurant for dinner gets high marks for dinner from friends who live nearby. Reactions?

Now at 48,120 views for these postings.

• 3 months later...

Appreciate these excellent above updates, comments and the great follow-up. Yes, we super enjoyed Ft. Lauderdale and our hotel with its excellent location. Below is a connection for a live/blog from our March experiences in doing this fun "adventure". This includes our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great San Francisco. Very special and interesting in seeing the Panama Canal and learning about its creation/construction.

Getting ready in six days to be departing for Lisbon and our first visit to Portugal. Then, we will be seeing NW Spain, Bordeaux and Brittany also for the first times in these charming regions. Will do a live/blog for these "adventures". Join in and feel free to ask any questions as we sail. It will be on the Silversea Cruise Critic board.

Panama Canal? Just completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun pictures!! Those pictures start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

Great live review! Thanks so much for coming back and posting!!

Appreciate this kind comment and follow-up. Need proof and "evidence" that we loved Fort Lauderdale? Below are just a few pictures. Will try to post more. Really enjoyed the Water Taxi, going down to Hollywood, etc.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 215,584 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

On the morning of our departure, here is my wife enjoying the beach (with a bird protecting our Atlantic Ocean position) near our GalleryOne Doubletree Hotel.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

MarTravel2017A%20074_zpsiqvc3grx.jpg

MarTravel2017A%20081_zpszjo4feei.jpg

These three visuals reflect the super sunny views as we were doing our sail-away at 4 pm from Fort Lauderdale on Feb. 28. A larger sister ship, the Royal Princess, was departing just a few minutes ahead of us. Lots of high-rises and homes are on this scenic channel out to the Atlantic. You will also see below a Coast Guard ship with a weapons expert on the front providing security as we departed this passageway. :

MarTravel2017A%20078_zpsstggl9dd.jpg

MarTravel2017A%20077_zpsofh4o9ho.jpg

MarTravel2017A%20080_zpsdilk3hqh.jpg

Here are some added pictures and details regard our pre-cruise fun in Fort Lauderdale. Really enjoyed our day there prior to boarding for our Panama Canal cruise. Great FLL weather, sights, experiences, etc. Well worth the time in Fort Lauderdale. Nice-sized city, airport worked well for us, lots of good food and options, etc.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!! Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 68,547 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Here is the view out of the window as we were landing of our Southwest Air non-stop flight from Columbus (for only $74) that took us to Fort Lauderdale.:

June%202017A%201545_zpshbjn6xto.jpg

In Fort Lauderdale, here is the view of our GalleryOne Hotel from its pool area next to the Intercoastal Waterway. Second was the view from our top-level suite that allowed us to see the Atlantic Ocean. Third was one of the enjoyable flowers that helped to landscape this hotel. Great and scenic location.:

June%202017A%201556_zps17kuqugv.jpg

June%202017A%201546_zps3pppvcgu.jpg

June%202017A%201557_zpswc7filcq.jpg

From our suite, here is the view of the Fort Lauderdale Water Taxi that docked right at the GalleryOne Hotel.:

June%202017A%201547_zpszf2csd89.jpg

During the Fort Lauderdale Water Taxi tour of residential and commercial areas, here is one sample for typical views. It was a perfect weather day to be doing this sailing tour.:

June%202017A%201554_zpsbc74veiq.jpg

Here are some more "photo evidence"to prove that we super enjoyed Fort Lauderdale, doing the Water Taxi, etc. Excellent fun and super sights!!

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 180,954 views for this posting.

Here are some more examples of the interesting sights during our Water Taxi tour. Like my new private yacht? Not quite ready to buy right now! Won't fit on the credit card!:

June%202017A%201555_zps0okcu8wq.jpg

As the sun was setting, here are some examples of the views of the port/shipping "action" as we traveled south towards Hollywood. Plus, views of houses along these canals, etc. Notice in the first picture, the jet airplane taking off as it crosses over the port shipping cranes?:

June%202017A%201548_zpsgrucczfu.jpg

June%202017A%201553_zpseafxqnaz.jpg

June%202017A%201549_zps7penxpwo.jpg

June%202017A%201550_zpslc3tory3.jpg

June%202017A%201551_zpsab5yzja7.jpg

Here is the wrap-up for some more of our fun in Fort Lauderdale and nearby. Even a little "food porn" below. Yes, it was very good!! Needed the "fuel" to hold us over until we got on the Island Princess and could eat there. Don't want to forget to eat when a cruise is involved, right?

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 225,084 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

When we arrived on the Water Taxi in Hollywood, we walked to their Boardwalk and enjoyed some beach views. It was nightfall, but it was fun and the weather was nice, warm and enjoyable. Here is the view of the beach at Hollywood, just south of Fort Lauderdale:

June%202017A%201552_zpsxe2ogovf.jpg

On the morning of our ship boarding, we had to have breakfast. We went to this location near our hotel that overlooked the beach. What did I have? See this picture? YES, it was very good. Nice to dine at a "locals" place. Fun and perfect location.:

June%202017A%201558_zpslkjwy60j.jpg

June%202017A%201559_zpsodwtoi36.jpg

• 2 months later...
Fantastic photos! Yes, Fort Lauderdale is an amazing place to call home! Thanks for visiting and enjoying!

Appreciate these great comments and this kind follow-up from BlueHerons. Glad to know you're a person of such high class, great taste and wonderful judgment to make these generous comments.

From the London/UK Independent newspaper late last month, they have this headline: “Spend a Weekend in the Venice of America” with these highlights: It isn’t too surprising; this beachside city smack bang in the centre of Florida’s Gold Coast is somewhat overshadowed by its loud, brash next-door neighbour, Miami. If it’s previously gone under the radar though, Fort Lauderdale is about to get a significant boost; British Airways has a new direct route from London Gatwick to Fort Lauderdale. FL’s laid-back charm, year-round sun and competitive prices just got more accessible.

There are many nice ideas and options suggestions in this profile. This includes an option that we super enjoyed: "For the true FL experience, hop onto a Water Taxi (watertaxi.com) wherever possible. There are several services that explore the canals and, while it’s not the quickest way of getting around, it is by far the loveliest."

Full story at:

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/48-hours-in/fort-lauderdale-city-guide-what-to-do-weekend-break-florida-best-bars-restaurants-hotels-a7906241.html

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Just finished June 2017 sailing from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Edited by TLCOhio

It's always nice to see people enjoying our wonderful city! The water taxi sure is a popular way to get around when visiting. I think we get so used to the water that we forget to appreciate it sometimes ourselves :)