Can you recommend a day room in Buenos Aires?

barante

We'll be on the Zaandam's Dec. 20 Antarctica sail-by that ends in BA. We'll spend one night on the ship but then need something to keep us happy until the plane leaves.

Any suggestions for day rooms?

After comparing various alternatives I bought two nights at Ibis Congresso for $112 total. This gives us a superior room with a view of the landmark architecture.

We sail in Jan. 9. Checkin time is noon. We'll use the room that day as our base camp (my wife has health issues). We then return to the Zaandam to spend the night there.

On the morning of the 10th, we'll taxi to Ibis with our luggage and use the room until it is time to depart for EZE that night for our flight back to the U.S.

Works for us. We have been to Buenos Aires before. The quality of cheap hotels varies greatly. We have never patronized Ibis before but will begin our cruise with two nights in Valparaiso. Again, I thought Ibis, all this considered, was the best option.

• 4 weeks later...

You can call the big chains to check if they can keep the luggage. We did that few years ago with the Sheraton. Friends told me that they couldn´t do it last year. But just send mails to them. If they have rooms free they will give one to cover their costs:-)

• 3 weeks later...

Just want to let everyone know how our Ibis Congreso went. We had a room on the upper floors overlooking the park which is being reconstructed.

Although we could have overnighted on the ship, we decided to move to Ibis after dinner. That was a smart decision which allowed us to avoid all of the disembark morning craziness. Slept like babies, the sound proofing was excellent.

We ate all our meals at a local place a couple of blocks down the street. No English but we got fed.

Overall, Ibis Congreso is a modest place: simple, clean and functional. I met our expectations, except that they did not have a single English channel on their cable. When the time came to go to EZE airport, they arranged a cab for $33.

Incidentally, we stayed at an Ibis in Valparaiso and will return in late April. Nothing to write home about but good enough.

Edited by barante

Just want to let everyone know how our Ibis Congreso went. We had a room on the upper floors overlooking the park which is being reconstructed.

Although we could have overnighted on the ship, we decided to move to Ibis after dinner. That was a smart decision which allowed us to avoid all of the disembark morning craziness. Slept like babies, the sound proofing was excellent.

We ate all our meals at a local place a couple of blocks down the street. No English but we got fed.

Overall, Ibis Congreso is a modest place: simple, clean and functional. I met our expectations, except that they did not have a single English channel on their cable. When the time came to go to EZE airport, they arranged a cab for $33.

Incidentally, we stayed at an Ibis in Valparaiso and will return in late April. Nothing to write home about but good enough.

I really appreciate you coming back and giving a report. We'll get in early to BA around 6:30 AM and with a 12:00 PM Check In we can figure out something to do with out time. Good location to the cruise terminal. Many Thanks!!:D

• 2 weeks later...

Plaza Hotel

Hilton Hotel

Sheraton Hotel

Casa Calma Hotel

My family travelled to visit my daughter who is studying spanish now in Buenos Aires and they told me that Regal Pacific or Melia also are ok.

Info hotels at this blog: (my favorite!)

https://lizflor2.blogspot.com.ar/2009/05/blog-post.html

Plaza Hotel

Hilton Hotel

Sheraton Hotel

Casa Calma Hotel

My family travelled to visit my daughter who is studying spanish now in Buenos Aires and they told me that Regal Pacific or Melia also are ok.

Info hotels at this blog: (my favorite!)

https://lizflor2.blogspot.com.ar/2009/05/blog-post.html

I have stayed in two of those hotels:

I stayed at the Regal Pacific shortly after it opened. It was a very nice hotel at least back then. Their chef at the time was excellent. The only problem I had with the hotel is that it fronts onto a narrow street with tall buildings on the other side, which makes it a bit dark in the rooms on that side. Still, good location.

I have stayed at the Plaza five or six times. Sadly, it is overdue for an update. It was once THE place to stay in Buenos Aires, attracting royalty, heads of state, and going back to when it was first built, wealthy Europeans interested in investing in Argentina. It is now owned by the Alvear family that also owns two of the nicest hotels in town (Alvear Palace, Alvear Art). They have plans to restore it to its former splendor, but right now it is a little dated. Also, don't stay there if you can't navigate at least some stairs.