Ushuaia Argentina

cspaid

We will be in Ushuaia from noon-8pm next January and we're trying to decide if we should do "land" or "sea". We are torn between an excursion to the national park then up to the lakes region (all day), or a small boat into the Beagle Channel to see the islands, lighthouse, etc, up close (about 4 hours). The boat trip would be much less expensive, but that really isn't a deciding factor.

Will we see enough of the islands from the cruise ship on our approach and departure from Ushuaia that a small boat trip is overkill? I really wish I could combine them and get the best of both worlds!

Thats funny- I thought a few on our roll call already booked with Pira- so maybe keep trying? Now I want to go back and check lol

List has been started on our Roll Call. We are waiting to connect with PiraTours.

Joe :cool:

Edited by Bonebaker

• 1 month later...

We are on a cruise out of Ushuaia in March '17.

We just had notification from our TA that passengers can not access the dock by themselves. So Silverseas has added a mandatory transfer to the ship on embarkation day at the cost of $ AU 50 per person !

"Silversea have advised that the Ushuaia port authority has implemented a new policy that individuals are unable to access the pier independently whether they are in taxis or private vehicles."

There has been a discussion of this on Trip Advisor (Antarctic Adventures forum) and apparently you can walk onto the dock yourself with your luggage. You cannot go by taxi or car.

So I would be taking a taxi to just outside the dock and walking on rather than pay so much money.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

We will be at Ushuaia in February 2017. I'm trying to chose between three options in Tourushuaia.com website. Does somebody who did tour with prison museum could share their experience how interesting is it?

Edited by ilya12000

The prison museum was OK but only that. There is no need for a tour to it. You can walk there and back (about 15 min or less each way) or take a cheap taxi.

Best in Ushuaia for us was the Pira tour to see the penguins.

Next best was renting a car for a day to see the park and other areas.

• 5 weeks later...

We will be in Ushuaia off the NCL Sun this January. Booked a day tour with Tour Guide Ushuaia to Tiera del Fuego, prison museum and a city tour. If you have a group the price is very reasonable and includes admissions.

They also have tours available in other ports in Chile and Argentina.

If anyone is on our cruise (NCL Jan. 21 out of Santiago) and has not joined our roll call, please join us. We have 2 spots left on the Ushuaia tour,

• 4 weeks later...

We will be on NCL Sun departing February 22nd, 2017 from Buenos Aires. We have open group with Edgar (tourguideushuaia) in Ushuaia to National park with hiking (option #3). So if you on this ship and want to join us - just go to http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2293122&page=8 to find all the information. Or you could book the tour on touguideushuaia.net (write in comments that you are going to join Ilya's group)

We are in the same cruise but we are still discussing with my wife about what of the 3 options they offer is better...

Come join us on our roll call for the Jan. 21st sailing from Santiago. You can access our spread sheet and see other tours we have organized and what openings are available.

If you prefer one of the other options in Ushuaia, Edgar can probably accommodate you and still give you our group discount. If you contact him to ask questions, say you are with Marcia's group from Cruise Critic.

For those who occasionally partake in heavy drinking

We were there in 14 on the Crown Princess 49 day cruise.

I will never forget the price of Gin and Scotch at that liquor store on the wharf as you walk along to the ship.

Like $8 for Vat 69, $6 for 100 Pipers and $5 for Gin.

There was a shop further back in town where it was only $3.50 for Gin. :)

I loaded up and for some reason there wasn't anyone checking the bottles and I got the lot to our cabin.

005.jpg.c511d03795fd40cd81516ea9141da51c.jpg

013.jpg.75070d1d3b55be97708082dc7176bf6e.jpg

014.jpg.4bc20d2e58e230bd4eca61340616cb19.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
We are in port only from 7 AM to 1 PM. No one have any recommendations of what you can do within that time on private tours? Thank you

That would be lots of time in which to go on one of the catamaran tours in the Beagle Channel, for close-up views of the islands, seabird and seal rookeries, etc., with time left over to walk through parts of the town.

John

That would be lots of time in which to go on one of the catamaran tours in the Beagle Channel, for close-up views of the islands, seabird and seal rookeries, etc., with time left over to walk through parts of the town.

John

Thank you Maryann and John.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
We did Option 2 with Edgar ( N.Park with Prison ) and we enjoyed it a lot with our guide explanation.

I think that if we had gone by taxi wouldn't have appreciate it so much.

You don't need any "tour" for the prison. It is walkable right from the dock. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I have a question for someone who has walked the trails in Tierra del Fuego. Do the trails loop back to the starting points, or do you end up a long way from where you started out?

There are both, trails that loop back to the starting points and anothers one way. But those taken on the tours are not long, they are of low impact.

• 3 weeks later...
You could go to the Tierra del Fuego Park or you could just wander around town. You can take a taxi (the stand is by the dock) to the park. Just ask for an English speaking driver.

How much time would you recommend for driving through Tierra Del Fuego National Park if you hire a taxi?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app