Ruby Princess or Norwegian Star for 89yr old father?

Ketacowan

Hello,

My father who is 89 and must travel by scooter has asked me to arrange a cruise of the Mexican Riviera. It would be me - 54yrs old, my aunt -80yrs old and my father 89yrs old. I have found comparable itineraries and sail dates on Norwegian and on Princess. Could anyone who has experience on both lines help me decide which line would be preferable for our age groups? (We have cruised once on Celebrity Reflection and loved it!)

Thank you!

I suggest your preference is which line could you book a handicap accessible cabin as you can not leave the scooter on the hallway. If you can book on either, Princess could have entertainment and activities suited for their age group.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello,

My father who is 89 and must travel by scooter has asked me to arrange a cruise of the Mexican Riviera. It would be me - 54yrs old, my aunt -80yrs old and my father 89yrs old. I have found comparable itineraries and sail dates on Norwegian and on Princess. Could anyone who has experience on both lines help me decide which line would be preferable for our age groups? (We have cruised once on Celebrity Reflection and loved it!)

Thank you!

We just got off the Island Princess and we met a man who was in a wheel chair. He mentioned that there were no excursions he could take on this cruise because none of them had handicap access. I think I would also try to find out that information too for your father. We loved Princess and we have enjoyed Norwegian in the past but more recently we have not had good experiences with Norwegian. But finding a handicap room is also important. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I think your whole family will enjoy staying in a Princess handicapped cabin.

You must book one because of the scooter. Plus, all of you will enjoy the spacious cabins on the LIDO DECK that is located near the Pools.

Princess is more handicapped friendly and senior friendly because they have most of their fun activities are located on the Plaza deck 5. A lot of seniors enjoy sitting around the Coffee Cafe and watch the Mariachi Band and other activities planned for that area. They sit there and wait for their younger loved ones to meet up with them.

The ports in Mex/Riviera for Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta will be easy to get off the ship in those ports because the ship will dock at a port.

Cabo will be a Tender port. You will need to request the Handicapped tender so you can take your time to get onto a tender boat. Plus, they do have an ELEVATOR to take you down to the Tender boat. Look for the elevator for all you seniors.

On Princess ships you never need to take the stairs. I never do because I am afraid of falling. I prefer Princess. I have cruised on NCL and notice some new ships I had to take some stairs. I do like NCL but Princess is a better choice because it is more accessable sp for seniors. LucyR

I actually have done both.Did Star when brand new, Ruby a couple yrs ago when Celebrity choice was sold out except for suites. What I did not like about NCL was all the PAY restaurants, most of them not that good. Ruby nice but Big. Dining much better.

Thank you to everyone who offered us information. I went with Princess and booked our cabins aboard the Ruby as it definitely seemed like the best option for our age groups and offered cabins with accessible options like pull down clothes hanging bars. We sail in December! I'll write about our experiences when we return. Thanks again! Keta

Thank you to everyone who offered us information. I went with Princess and booked our cabins aboard the Ruby as it definitely seemed like the best option for our age groups and offered cabins with accessible options like pull down clothes hanging bars. We sail in December! I'll write about our experiences when we return. Thanks again! Keta

Excellent choice!