How has becoming a senior changed the way you travel?

delily

I am 58 and my hubby is 63 (of one year, although we lived together for 6 before marrying). We both have arthritis so we try to pace ourselves. We get up late on sea days and have early nights before and after long (7 or 8 hour tours), which we go on because the destinations we are going to are still new to us. We also fly business class for anything over 4 hours or so. When the money to do that runs out, we will only fly from the UK or close ports.

Very good question! When we were younger we stayed in cheap hotels and took inside rooms and flew coach which is what we could afford. We are 70 and 68 and have a nice income from 12 free and clear rentals and other investments, we fly business class on long flights over four hours, stay in the best hotels, and cruise in suites at least 60 days per year. We have a summer home and our winter home is on a golf course. Wife is active on Cruise C and organizes lots of private tours, we hate ship bus tours, we will continue to do this as long as we can and we are very lucky to be living the good life. Our kids and grand kids are very happy for us and not concerned about us spending their inheritance. We have 4 cruises scheduled and paid for now 21 days this Nov. 10 days in Dec 21 days in April and 31 day next Dec. all in suites. See you onboard!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by goldenrod

We like nicer accommodations and better vacations including longer cruises on smaller ships. The one thing I do miss is on many cruises catering to an older crowd the excursions can be bus oriented. I love the walk, hike and bike excursions but you won't find many on cruises geared to older folks. I have to book my own in advance even though I prefer the ease of using the cruise line's excursion desk.

• 2 weeks later...

It is cold here today, and a little snow.

Booked a last minute 7 day AI to Puerta Vallarta at a price that was too good to pass up. Leave in 9 days.

We are always on the look out for attractive travel offers that we can take advantage of.

• 1 month later...
Originally Posted by iancal viewpost.gif

We met a retired nursing supervisor on our last cruise. She told us that while working she met too many people who saved all their lives but never took those trips they talked about.

I finally read through this thread.

DH is a family physician whose first patients were those he took over from his internist father -- nursing home clients. His dad died too young (although not entirely untravelled), but between that the regretful elderly patients, he was determined to travel despite the challenges of building a medical practice.

He still hasn't retired and not sure when that will happen! We are travelling better if not more! Our last two land-based tours were Gate1 "Discovery" (i.e. small group tours, all or almost all inclusive). And more cruises, which I initially had to be dragged along on.

So why did I title my post IANCAL? Are you still thinking of going to St.Petersburg? My favorite trip ever was a cruise up the Volga "River" followed by a week in a Moscow apartment. The cruise was on the Rus, through Gate1, and the apartment was through Express to Russia -- and they arranged the extended visa. I see they are now TravExpress Ltd (or have merged?) and are now doing all parts of a Russian visit, including river cruises, etc. Just wanted to recommend if and when you are in that neck of the woods. (We also took the Rus south from St.P to Moscow the year before. She is not fancy but stops at all the same ports as Viking!)

Like Ian, we've packed less over time. At one point we were each down to a 14" mini-suitcase (this is the size that usually has Barbie embossed on the side), when the heel fell off my only pair of shoes in the airport ARRIVING in Quito!!! So we sized up to 21", first hard-side spinners and then -- when the airlines started enforcing weight limits on carryons -- IT two-wheelers weighing only 3.5lbs apiece and two pairs each of sensible shoes.

We did a 26-day TransAtlantic/Mediterranean with those carryons and a knapsack apiece. I did hand-laundry every few days, but in the future would use the ship's drycleaning for larger items (most of our things not being suitable for hot-wash/hot-dry).

When we re-visit places we've been (China, Alaska), we like to take a family member or six who haven't been -- it lets us see things through new eyes.

Edited by crystalspin

• 3 weeks later...

crystalspin...St. Petersburg is definately high on my list. I am actually looking at taking the trans siberian train with a friend this Sept. We would meet up with our spouses in St. Peterburg and then do some touring similar to what you mentioned. I love trains and this is on my list so why not??? Not certain that it is best to visit some of the place we want to without a tour of some sort.

Last Feb. we ran into a group in Hue, Vietnam who were on a Gate 1 tour. I spent some time speaking with two of them. They were very pleased with Gate 1, the tour, and the entire experience.

We leave next week for a week in Uruguay/Buenos Aires followed by a cruise to Chile. Then independent time in Chile. Panama and Costa Rica on the way home to see friends. By then, our -20 weather should have turned in to something a little warmer and the snow will have gone.

I am in my mid sixites and in good health. Same for DW. Who knows what will happen tomorrow. Nor are we the types to stay home because we are concerned about terrorists etc. It can happen anywhere. We choose to not only keep working on our lists, but adding more to them. Why not?

Still doing carry on..best way for both of us to travel.

Edited by iancal

Ian,

I always like your posts! I think we are kindred spirits.

dr'spin likes the structure of tours -- when we do time on our own more than an afternoon, say, I need to have researched ahead of time at least a skeleton schedule. I suspect you are a bit more freewheeling! He would not get on a cruise ship without a way home booked for example! (Would I? IDK, won't be finding that out!)

DH and I bracket your ages -- late 60s and late 50s respectively. We do not feel old! In fact we were keeping up with much younger people on a trek in Periyar Nat'l Park (so. India) last month. Since we bought and moved into a two-story house, our stamina has increased, but we also hire more things done than in times gone by.

I've been retired now 5 years. We travel summers in a 30 ft travel trailer. Last year we did 10,000 miles. We do most all the things noted here. We are taking an 80 day Grand Asia cruise and its the biggest most expensive thing we have ever done!!! After the initial sticker shock we are intent on the planning for ports, clothes, meds, etc. we just started spending anything out of our investments so at 63 and 65 we think it's time to start while our health holds out. We feel so blessed to do what we can do. We have had some medical issues but feel we are fixed up now. We don't take any meds other than vitamins and fiber so that helps :). I do enjoyed reading all the posts. It was uplifting and inspiring. I shed a few tears but it was healthy for me and a reality check. Keep on keeping on and I hope to read many more motivating posts here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
I've been retired now 5 years. We travel summers in a 30 ft travel trailer. Last year we did 10,000 miles. We do most all the things noted here. We are taking an 80 day Grand Asia cruise and its the biggest most expensive thing we have ever done!!! After the initial sticker shock we are intent on the planning for ports, clothes, meds, etc. we just started spending anything out of our investments so at 63 and 65 we think it's time to start while our health holds out. We feel so blessed to do what we can do. We have had some medical issues but feel we are fixed up now. We don't take any meds other than vitamins and fiber so that helps :). I do enjoyed reading all the posts. It was uplifting and inspiring. I shed a few tears but it was healthy for me and a reality check. Keep on keeping on and I hope to read many more motivating posts here.

We also are retired for 3 years and have been to 75% Caribbean cruises wanted to do a grand tour 35 to 60 days but lost out to a kitchen remodeling now i'm back on track, Called my Carnival PVP and told him to contact me the minute the open booking for the new ship Horizon is available we are going to Italy 10 days and post cruise 5 days Paris. We also booked Aruba cruise for 2018, waiting for more dates for 2019 hopefully 3 to 4 cruises to plan. Let us know about the 80 days Grand Asia cruise when you return.

We also are retired for 3 years and have been to 75% Caribbean cruises wanted to do a grand tour 35 to 60 days but lost out to a kitchen remodeling now i'm back on track, Called my Carnival PVP and told him to contact me the minute the open booking for the new ship Horizon is available we are going to Italy 10 days and post cruise 5 days Paris. We also booked Aruba cruise for 2018, waiting for more dates for 2019 hopefully 3 to 4 cruises to plan. Let us know about the 80 days Grand Asia cruise when you return.

Will do. Here is my email if you want to email me and remind me. bettty45@gmail.com

I am following the blog of Bill and Mary Ann who are doing the Amsterdam world cruise now. It's so informative as they are on the same ship for Grand Asia and may do a few of the same ports.

Since I stepped over the 55 threshold and my husband is too. Thought I would read these posts. Hoping to retire in a few years and my husband in 5. We still have to limit our travels to spring summer and winter breaks since my husband is a teacher. Will be fun to take a cruise or land based trip in May or October! Looking at finally being able to do European Travel with out worries of getting back by a certain date.

I have arthritis in my hips so already have to tell my husband to slow down and am starting to speak up if I feel something will be too strenuous for me. But I still try to push my self. My husband talks about us getting feet of clay. Fearful of doing things, so we try to push ourselves to still seek adventure.

Cruising on the Magic and plan to do the San Juan walking tour, hear it is at a slow enough pace with shade rests. Hoping not too hot and humid in March.

Hiking in the Smokies in June with good friends who are in roughly the same physical condition so slow and steady is the theme and hot tub soaks in the evening.

Wishing everyone safe travels and long happy life.

We are both in our early 70's and in good health thank heaven. Biggest change we have made is to use $$ to buy comfort and ease especially in port transfers and that type of thing, using more cabs etc. It lets others do the heavy lifting and puts us in a good frame of mind every time.

Since I stepped over the 55 threshold and my husband is too. Thought I would read these posts. Hoping to retire in a few years and my husband in 5. We still have to limit our travels to spring summer and winter breaks since my husband is a teacher. Will be fun to take a cruise or land based trip in May or October! Looking at finally being able to do European Travel with out worries of getting back by a certain date.

I have arthritis in my hips so already have to tell my husband to slow down and am starting to speak up if I feel something will be too strenuous for me. But I still try to push my self. My husband talks about us getting feet of clay. Fearful of doing things, so we try to push ourselves to still seek adventure.

Cruising on the Magic and plan to do the San Juan walking tour, hear it is at a slow enough pace with shade rests. Hoping not too hot and humid in March.

Hiking in the Smokies in June with good friends who are in roughly the same physical condition so slow and steady is the theme and hot tub soaks in the evening.

Wishing everyone safe travels and long happy life.

speaking of adventure DW and I are both retired 3 years now and have WALKED THE OCEAN FLOOR in ST THOMAS, in Hawaii did the UNDERWATER SCOOTER excursion, ZIPLINING in ST KITTS and we are just getting started to young to sit back and read a book ( nothing wrong with that ) but not for us on a cruise so you guys keep on being adventurous.

speaking of adventure DW and I are both retired 3 years now and have WALKED THE OCEAN FLOOR in ST THOMAS, in Hawaii did the UNDERWATER SCOOTER excursion, ZIPLINING in ST KITTS and we are just getting started to young to sit back and read a book ( nothing wrong with that ) but not for us on a cruise so you guys keep on being adventurous.

Thank you and many happy and exciting adventures to you!!!

We are both in our early 70's and in good health thank heaven. Biggest change we have made is to use $$ to buy comfort and ease especially in port transfers and that type of thing, using more cabs etc. It lets others do the heavy lifting and puts us in a good frame of mind every time.

That's such a good idea. My husband pulled a muscle in the groin lifting two years ago. He is still struggling with it. He has had pain med blocks injected into the nerve several times so we now are very careful about lifting. We pack less and lighter. We are in our mid 60's and otherwise in good health too and active. We look for more comfortable flights and even break up flights and stay over so we don't hurry or tire ourselves out.

• 2 weeks later...
Just wondering if others also do things differently now than the way they did them in their younger years. For the first time I'm booking ship's tours. I just don't want to be bothered this year with all the DIY navigating. And I'm also a cruise ship this year instead of renting a car and lugging things from one hotel to another!

After raising the brood, school tuitions etc, we started to cruise, it was nor an option with the necessary and well rewarded cost of raising a bunch of normal kids!

Now, we love to cruise!

Hi Herb here, yes slowness is of the highest order. I am retired 7 years now and have slowed down quite a bit mostly due to health reasons. Eating habits have changed a lot to, however my wife and I are cruisers! It is very relaxing and we meet interesting people. Love to play trivia also. always bring a good book.

We are a little different as we just started cruising in Dec 2015. Been on 6 all total and age 62 & 68. One thing we noticed on the first cruise was people who did struggle to get around. I know that is probably better than not cruising at all, but we said let's cruise now while our health and bodies are relatively good.

Like many of you said, we never know when something will happen to one of us and we don't want to be sorry if we didn't enjoy it now while we can.

I'm 70 and nothing has changed in the way we cruise. I started cruising at 19 and the DH at 18. He's 6 years younger than me. We still do stuff like jet ski, snorkel, zip-line, etc. etc. etc. Luckily...neither of us have health problems that prevent us from doing this. Oh yeah...we still love to dance the night away in the dance club or wherever there's dancing! Other than how we look...nothing has changed...we still love to cruise!!! :D

As a young married couple we had inside rooms and flew coach and stayed at budget motels because that's what we could afford. In our senior years since retirement we book suites on ships and hotels and fly business class on long flights. We will continue to do so as long as health holds out! Not worried about the cost as we have a good income from our 12 rental properties and other investments.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just found all of these posts educational & entertaining. Still working at 70 & only able to travel during September/October due to work commitments. Cruising & the Riverboat is our favor style of travel. We have done several l0 day plus land tours internationally & now find these days are over. ( only exception for me would be Africa, as we love the game drives & safaris )

We are fortunate to be in good health & enjoying walking. No more ship excursions, as the pace & size of the crowd does not suit us. Mostly small & private excursions. We have to control our costs. So likely we fly economy, to splurge on excursions. We have not slowed down yet, but likely very soon.

We are much more outdoor people enjoying nature, water, wild animals, landscapes, local cultures, local food & music, & history. Cruising has aloud us to do this. We have learned to pack much lighter & use the services of the ship. We still plan a lot, however we are open-minded to spontaneity which has lead to some interesting adventures. Also we have met some very nice fellow cruisers on these trips. For us we prefer more port intensive cruises,

although we do not take today, as many full day tours. We particularly like, many of the excursions put together on CC Roll Call.

When we are fully retired, plan to concentrate more on North America & the national parks.

Do what you can, while you can... If you put it off for the future, you may not be able to participate.

Happy Travels, John