Would love Tips on DIY in Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway

Julietsmom

We're going to Alaska for the first time on Princess in mid-July 2017. DH and I are 42 and DD will be 8. We decided to DIY on excursions since none of the cruise offerings really appealed to us, they are SO EXPENSIVE, we don't want to do flight seeing (DH is afraid to fly), and couldn't see DD sitting for multiple hours on a boat or train. We love wildlife and being outside and adventure, but would prefer not getting eaten by a bear or orca :).

I have done a lot of research but I would LOVE any tips or critique on our DIY adventure and places to add. I have Milepost and Murray's Skagway guide. We're renting a car in Skagway and Juneau. Here's the plan so far. Ketchikan day is 6:30am to 2pm: 2 hour kayak around Ketchikan with local outfit, go to totem bight, maybe lumberjack show and wander around creek street. Juneau day is 8am to 9pm: Rent car and drive to Mendenhall and do nugget trail, drive to Douglas Island and visit Sandy Beach and Eagle Beach, go to Dipac Salmon Hatchery and maybe Mt. Roberts tram if weather is clear ($30/pp seems a little steep for this - is it really worth it?); Skagway day is 7am to 8:30pm: rent car and drive to emerald lake and carcross, stop at sand dunes at carcross desert. Any other recommendations of things to see and do in these areas?

You really should take one of the railroad trips on the White Pass RR in Skagway. Unless you have wilderness experience it's probably not a great idea to drive outside of Skagway by yourselves.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Lord Duck

You really should take one of the railroad trips on the White Pass RR in Skagway. Unless you have wilderness experience it's probably not a great idea to drive outside of Skagway by yourselves.

I'm definitely interested in staying safe and interested in your perspective. It looks like a main, 2-lane paved highway (the South Klondike Highway) the whole way there. Is there something unusual or dangerous about it?

We're also going mid July with our two kids - 6 and 9. They do have a fairly high tolerance for things "educational" - so I'm hoping this works out.

This is what I have planned. And agreed, it's all so expensive! I'm used to sailing in the Caribbean!

Ketchican

Deadliest Catch Tour – book directly: http://www.alaskacrabtour.com/About_The_Tour.aspx

Same tour as ship, cheaper

Tracy Arm Fjord

Ship excursion:

Juneau

Rent car: Possible way to book car: https://www.toursinalaska.com/juneau/juneau-self-drive/

Mendenhall Glacier

Alaskan Brewing Company

Glacier Gardens?

Skagway

Yukon Rail & Bus w/ Dogcart Experience

https://chilkootcharters.com/package/yukon-rail-bus-w-dogcart-experience/

I have Milepost and Murray's Skagway guide. We're renting a car in Skagway and Juneau. Here's the plan so far. Ketchikan day is 6:30am to 2pm: 2 hour kayak around Ketchikan with local outfit, go to totem bight, maybe lumberjack show and wander around creek street. Juneau day is 8am to 9pm: Rent car and drive to Mendenhall and do nugget trail, drive to Douglas Island and visit Sandy Beach and Eagle Beach, go to Dipac Salmon Hatchery and maybe Mt. Roberts tram if weather is clear ($30/pp seems a little steep for this - is it really worth it?); Skagway day is 7am to 8:30pm: rent car and drive to emerald lake and carcross, stop at sand dunes at carcross desert. Any other recommendations of things to see and do in these areas?

Hi there! We are also traveling to AK this summer with our 6 year old son and we have a very similar itinerary planned for these 3 stops. A few additional things I've found (from one mom to another!):

Juneau: we rented a car too and are planning on a Mendenhall/ Mt Roberts day. Mendenhall has a good Jr Ranger program that we plan to do, in addition to Nugget Falls: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=fseprd495456

You can also always hike up Mt Roberts and then take the tram down - it's only $10pp going down, if you have a snack at the cafe at the top. Not too sure on the steepness of the trail - I have found varying reports - so we'll make that decision once we see it.

Skagway: we rented a car through Avis to do the Yukon drive to Emerald Lake too. I had a few questions and the rep at Avis sent me a nice PDF booklet with good info that's a nice accompaniment to the Murrays Guide. If you're renting through Avis too, ask them for it. If not, I'd be happy to email it to you, if you'd like.

Hope you have a wonderful trip! ~Katie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I strongly disagree with this. It is a very easy drive and IMO, I preferred it to the train trip.

Murray's guide is great. One can't get lost and there are a lot of tourists and guides on the road if one runs into issues.

I'm definitely interested in staying safe and interested in your perspective. It looks like a main, 2-lane paved highway (the South Klondike Highway) the whole way there. Is there something unusual or dangerous about it?

There is nothing unsafe about it. Is a very well maintained highway. There are pull offs that you can stop and take pictures (Murray has this well documented). If you are lucky, you may see a bear off to the side. The places you stop along the way are very scenic and incredibly safe. No worries! Plus - you will run into a lot of friendly Canadians who love to show off their beautiful country side.

I have an interest in the replies on this thread as well. Could someone direct me to a thread for tips on renting cars for the day at the various Alaska ports? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Avis in Skagway - rent early if you are even remotely thinking about driving into the Yukon. Their cars fill up quickly.

Do a search for Murray's Guide and Yukon.

Edited by Coral

Whale watching is a must. I have been to Alaska 5 times and have done almost all tours, White Pass RR, salmon bake, panning for gold, dog mushing. I love the whale watching, no Orca is going to eat you. The RR was fantastic. Panning, salmon bake was not worth the effort or money. I am going for the 6th time in May and have booked whales again but in Victoria. Dog mushing was some kids favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done the railroad trip once, and driven to Emerald Lake twice (once by myself and once with two other people). The drive is perfectly safe, as others have commented. Although not crowded, there are some other cars on the road. The only minor issue is you will not have cell reception.

I think it's a personal preference for which one is better. Both ways of going into Canada from Skagway are great. I prefer the flexibility of leaving when I want to and setting my own pace. With a car you stop where you want to, and stay as long or as short as you care. Definitely download Murray's guide if you drive. Without it you might miss some interesting stops.

Lord Duck has probably never driven in Skagway. It was great to drive to Lake Emerald!! And you can stop and see the country side and lakes. It is beautiful and I think not to be missed. We took the train the first time in Skagway and it was very nice, but I really think a young child will get bored, especially on the way back. Renting the car is the way to go. And also in Juneau. The Shrine of Terese is really nice, too and you get out and explore and you can be there as long or as short as you want.

We rented a car in Skagway one year and drove to Emerald Lake. Perfectly good, non-scary road. It's uphill our and downhill back, but unless you've never driven in hills before in your life, you should be fine.

Skagway - we will be in port between 7am and 4pm. Would it be possible to do both the railroad and drive to Emerald lake during that time? Would that be redundant?

no, you don't have time for both.

This post is from the 2014 Trip Report list .... it's a comparison of the train vs car rental by someone who had done both. Lots of photos. Might help you with a decision. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2078780

If you rent a car I encourage you to stop at the GoldRush Cemetary at the edge of town. There's also a trail that leads from the cemetary to Lower Reid Fall if you have time.

Edited by mapleleaves

Avis in Skagway - rent early if you are even remotely thinking about driving into the Yukon. Their cars fill up quickly.

Do a search for Murray's Guide and Yukon.

Good Advice! Rent early and then get to the rental office as early as possible. I remember the line being loooong and moved very slowly.

Edited by sjmbruce

We're going to Alaska for the first time on Princess in mid-July 2017. DH and I are 42 and DD will be 8. We decided to DIY on excursions since none of the cruise offerings really appealed to us, they are SO EXPENSIVE, we don't want to do flight seeing (DH is afraid to fly), and couldn't see DD sitting for multiple hours on a boat or train. We love wildlife and being outside and adventure, but would prefer not getting eaten by a bear or orca :).

I have done a lot of research but I would LOVE any tips or critique on our DIY adventure and places to add. I have Milepost and Murray's Skagway guide. We're renting a car in Skagway and Juneau. Here's the plan so far. Ketchikan day is 6:30am to 2pm: 2 hour kayak around Ketchikan with local outfit, go to totem bight, maybe lumberjack show and wander around creek street. Juneau day is 8am to 9pm: Rent car and drive to Mendenhall and do nugget trail, drive to Douglas Island and visit Sandy Beach and Eagle Beach, go to Dipac Salmon Hatchery and maybe Mt. Roberts tram if weather is clear ($30/pp seems a little steep for this - is it really worth it?); Skagway day is 7am to 8:30pm: rent car and drive to emerald lake and carcross, stop at sand dunes at carcross desert. Any other recommendations of things to see and do in these areas?

We rented a car in Skagway and did the same drive you're planning on doing. It was easy and beautiful. I am sure there are more current trip reports, but I detailed our road trip and you can click on the review in my signature, if you're interested. Mt. Robert's tram is only worth it if it is a clear day, and even then it's a little pricey, in my opinion.

Anyone can drive out of Skagway, there is literally only 1 road & it is paved/maintained.

I'd be more reluctant to recommend driving in NYC, Baltimore, Washington DC, or some other large US city. (Skagway doesn't have the merging, the lights, the one way streets, etc.)

Ketchikan is easy to do yourself. Look up secrets of Ketchikan and just go around the town yourself. Plenty of totem poles around, no tour needed. Crab restaurants all around, including all you can eat places.

Juneau - blue bus to Mendelhall Glacier, beautiful Glacier, waterfall, salmon running, bears, bald eagles, and plenty of beautiful paths to walk on.

Alaska is amazing, Mother Nature at her finest

Safe sailing

It's a good road, but the wilderness around it is totally unforgiving for the most part. If you had car troubles, you would be very unhappy. With so many alternatives (bus and train) I would recommend those over renting a car to nowhere. I lived in Alaska for quite a few years and was connected with public safety. So perhaps I am being over cautious, but I have see tourists get in serious trouble very rarely.

Edited by Lord Duck

It's a good road, but the wilderness around it is totally unforgiving for the most part. If you had car troubles, you would be very unhappy. With so many alternatives (bus and train) I would recommend those over renting a car to nowhere. I lived in Alaska for quite a few years and was connected with public safety. So perhaps I am being over cautious, but I have see tourists get in serious trouble very rarely.

The Avis cars we rented were brand new. Not worried about car issues. There were people at most of the pull over stops we stopped at. Plus, tour vans driving up and down at the same time. Plenty of people.

I would not rent from Sourdough rentals (older cars).

And I have to say the Canadians I met on my drives into the Yukon were the nicest people out there. No worries about driving.

Ironically - we did have our train break down on one of our trips. Again, not a big deal.

Edited by Coral

I have just reserved a car from the Juneau airport but now looking at timing, I'm not sure there is really any reason. We will be in port from 8 am to 6 pm. I have Harv & Marv reserved for noon. (We could move to 8:30, I think) Is there any place we could drive from 8:30 to noon or a place to even leave the car from noon to 3 ?

I have just reserved a car from the Juneau airport but now looking at timing, I'm not sure there is really any reason. We will be in port from 8 am to 6 pm. I have Harv & Marv reserved for noon. (We could move to 8:30, I think) Is there any place we could drive from 8:30 to noon or a place to even leave the car from noon to 3 ?

I don't even see a reason to have a car from 8:30 am to noon. Use that time for a walk around town. Here's a self-guided walking tour I found on Frommer's and plan to do when we're there in May:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/juneau/720556

I have never rented a car in Juneau. How many people do you have? If only 2 of you, you may not need it.

Before or after whale watching, you can hike at Mendenhall Glacier. They are on the same part of town.