What should I pack for a cruise in Mid May?

Cozumelted

Title says it! I've been searching online but can't seem to find straight answers.

I live in upstate NY so I have gear for all seasons.

Going to Alaska May 16th, what, clothing wise, should I be bringing?

I am going to start shopping now if I need anything, because of after-season winter sales, which is why i'm asking so early :p

Dress for moderately cool weather, and preferably in layers. If you find you need something more, you can get it at the Tongass Trading Company on the dock at Ketchikan. They have everything and generally at good prices.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Dress the same as you would at home during the same time....

Let's see, it can be warm or cooler - so dress in layers! I often wear a t-shirt, then a sweatshirt and then bring a jacket along with me and peal the layers off. Layers is the key. I bring a back pack with me to keep the layers in.

Bring gloves and ear protection for glacier days. I always wear athletic shoes.

Prepare for rain.

I live in the midwest (middle of ice storm now) and never have to purchase items for Alaskan cruises.

Edited by Coral

As a former NY upstate resident, Romulus, and frequent May Alaska cruiser, you need to leave your heavy winter coat at home. Lightweight long underwear (for speedy whale-watching excursions), flannel shirts, heavy sweatshirt, wind resistant jacket (longer is better), gloves, ski cap, lightweight rain poncho, and a few short sleeve shirts for the warmer days. Add a pair of hiking shoes.

Bring a small backpack for clothing you remove when the temps warm in the afternoon, water bottle, camera, snack, and lightweight poncho for your excursions.

It is important to note that bringing extra clothing so you won't wear the same outfit twice is discouraged. You will never see your fellow passengers again so why try to impress them. Be comfortable and save some luggage room for souvenirs (Tongass Trading on the Ketchikan pier).

Edited by Crew News

It seems to me that if you bring what you would for upstate New York in the Spring you'll be fine. I'm sure you'd agree that Spring weather can be anything, so layers, warm stuff, stuff for warm days, and rain gear. We've seen it be 75 degrees in Juneau in May. As everybody else said, layers.

Edited by Sea Hag

It seems to me that if you bring what you would for upstate New York in the Spring you'll be fine. I'm sure you'd agree that Spring weather can be anything, so layers, warm stuff, stuff for warm days, and rain gear. We've seen it be 75 degrees in Juneau in May. As everybody else said, layers.

75 degrees? Wow! I am prepared for cooler temps but figured Alaska was a bit cooler than NY lol. My birthday is May 7th and it almost always is rainy and cold around then :p

I just picked Juneau.

Average low is 41 and average high is 57. That is for the entire month. Towards the end of May, you can get in the 60's and even 70. One year, it was in the high 40's at the end of the month when we were there and that seemed odd for me as I usually go at the same time of the year.

I have had sun burns in May.

Prepare for anything.

I am taking a warm jacket for my May cruisetour.

We were in Juneau, 2 yrs ago in early July it was raining and cold. Glad I had my warm jacket otherwise I would have been miserable.

I think in Ketchikan we did not need a sweatshirt...the weather was rather warm that day.

I will have layers available for me, so it will just depend of how it feels outside on the balcony before I actually take my coat.

Just know you will have fun and weather will be whatever. LOL

I am taking a warm jacket for my May cruisetour.

We were in Juneau, 2 yrs ago in early July it was raining and cold. Glad I had my warm jacket otherwise I would have been miserable.

I think in Ketchikan we did not need a sweatshirt...the weather was rather warm that day.

I will have layers available for me, so it will just depend of how it feels outside on the balcony before I actually take my coat.

Just know you will have fun and weather will be whatever. LOL

I have taken (2) 4th of July cruises. It truly was a tale of 2 cruises. First cruise was horribly cold, sleet, fog and lots of rain with sleet. It was foggy the entire cruise.

Next 4th of July cruise was really warm. I wore jeans in Skagway and had to go back to the ship to change to shorts as I was way too hot. Sun burns and people wearing bathing suits at Glacier Bay.

Alaska can be unpredictable.

Hi Mamasylvia,

I was just wondering if you had a large bag, something like a big beach bag with a zipper closure would that be of any help?

Maybe you could sit it underneath your feet on a scooter platform or in a wheel chair hook it around the handle grips?

I have seen these bags at WalMart locally. If you are near a store check them out, if not look online or even eBay.

Wishing you a happy cruise!

Sandra

we'll be going 2 weeks before...and I was planning to pack my packable lightweight down coat (goes to my knees) for warmth,plus goretex rain jacket layer, plus a couple of sweatshirts too,just in case. My biggest question is footwear- would hiking shoes be ok for most things (or really good quality walking shoes) or are actual snow boots needed? I was thinking of the Mendenhall glacier trails,things like that.... I hate to bring winter boots if we won't use them..... but the wool socks of varying weights are a necessity!

we'll be going 2 weeks before...and I was planning to pack my packable lightweight down coat (goes to my knees) for warmth,plus goretex rain jacket layer, plus a couple of sweatshirts too,just in case. My biggest question is footwear- would hiking shoes be ok for most things (or really good quality walking shoes) or are actual snow boots needed? I was thinking of the Mendenhall glacier trails,things like that.... I hate to bring winter boots if we won't use them..... but the wool socks of varying weights are a necessity!

The last time I went with my Mom, she insisted on bringing her down coat. I suggested she leave it behind and she brought it. Never wore it once. We went around May 16th or so. I personally bring shorter jackets. I guess my preference. Alaska is very casual and a down jacket just seems more formal.

I always bring athletic shoes. I have never brought hiking boots or winter boots. I have gone in May many times. I also have never brought wool socks but have never been on May 1st. I probably would still not bring them.

thanks for the note on the down coat..... I tend to wear it at home anywhere from 55 degrees on downward (hasn't gotten colder here than about 10 degrees tho) and I bring wool socks EVERYWHERE from Florida to Wyoming.....:D granted the lightweight wool is for warmer weather- I love wool socks for water repellency and overall comfort! I'm going to pack my Keens trail shoes then...(those work in cool weather hiking trails perfectly)

thanks for the note on the down coat..... I tend to wear it at home anywhere from 55 degrees on downward (hasn't gotten colder here than about 10 degrees tho) and I bring wool socks EVERYWHERE from Florida to Wyoming.....:D granted the lightweight wool is for warmer weather- I love wool socks for water repellency and overall comfort! I'm going to pack my Keens trail shoes then...(those work in cool weather hiking trails perfectly)

I wear Keens at home when the weather is bad here. If you plan on hiking, it may be useful in Alaska.

Title says it! I've been searching online but can't seem to find straight answers.

I live in upstate NY so I have gear for all seasons.

Going to Alaska May 16th, what, clothing wise, should I be bringing?

I am going to start shopping now if I need anything, because of after-season winter sales, which is why i'm asking so early :p

Dress similarly to home, minus the very heavy coat...

I have a large shopping-type bag but it's not zippered and I don't think it's large enough. I'll have to look for something suitable, I guess. Only 4 months, can't wait!

I'm going to buy the Alaska jacket from another thread, it sounds ideal. That and a cheap lightweight rain poncho should keep me warm and dry as long as it doesn't actually drop below freezing. I'm waffling about taking a sweatshirt because I really don't like them and space in my suitcase is already overcommitted! I have a pair of sort-of boots I bought for this cruise, they have the textured bottom to help me walk safely and are fake-fur-lined for warmth, but the top is like a loafer rather than a true boot.

I have been to Alaska a lot and have never brought boots. I have only brought athletic shoes and then some dressier shoes for dinner.

Boots are just too heavy, I think they are over kill. If one plans on hiking a lot, it makes sense. Otherwise, I would live them behind.

Title says it! I've been searching online but can't seem to find straight answers.I live in upstate NY so I have gear for all seasons. Going to Alaska May 16th, what, clothing wise, should I be bringing?

I like these lightweight totes that fold up so nice and also great for day trips.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/78927?feat=tote-SR0&page=everyday-lightweight-tote

On our last Alaska trip in May/June I was so glad we had taken a waterproof (not just resistant) medium weight jacket that covered mid butt, gloves, small packable umbrella, and a beanie. Head WILL get cold. We did a lot of shore excursions on our 14 days and used all those things a lot. We also like to hike and if you don't have room in the suitcase you don't have to have BOOTS but a good pair of walking shoes is a must. I bring one pair of walking shoes and a pair of dress shoes.

Have an awesome time!!!!!!!!!!!

For May, pack for warm/cool and wet/dry weather. You may experience mild T-shirt weather one day while out in the sun, and cold/wet weather on another day. Even though I'm a Floridian, I don't take a heavy jacket to Alaska in the summer. I prefer layers, and make sure I have a fleece and a waterproof (also windproof) shell with me. Ready for anything...

As a former NY upstate resident, Romulus, and frequent May Alaska cruiser, you need to leave your heavy winter coat at home. Lightweight long underwear (for speedy whale-watching excursions), flannel shirts, heavy sweatshirt, wind resistant jacket (longer is better), gloves, ski cap, lightweight rain poncho, and a few short sleeve shirts for the warmer days. Add a pair of hiking shoes.

Bring a small backpack for clothing you remove when the temps warm in the afternoon, water bottle, camera, snack, and lightweight poncho for your excursions.

It is important to note that bringing extra clothing so you won't wear the same outfit twice is discouraged. You will never see your fellow passengers again so why try to impress them. Be comfortable and save some luggage room for souvenirs (Tongass Trading on the Ketchikan pier).

Our cruise will be May 8th for 8 nights. I am cold natured and sometimes I wear my coat inside watching TV during the winter. Since we are going early May, do you think I should take a coat at least for sitting on balcony? One excursion will be the train ride and going to the Yukon.

With all our past cruises to the Caribbean, I could start packing months in advance. Now I am not sure if I should take winter looking clothes to keep warm, or just spring clothes. I know I will probably take jeans for the day, but not sure about dinner clothes.

Our cruise will be May 8th for 8 nights. I am cold natured and sometimes I wear my coat inside watching TV during the winter. Since we are going early May, do you think I should take a coat at least for sitting on balcony? One excursion will be the train ride and going to the Yukon.

With all our past cruises to the Caribbean, I could start packing months in advance. Now I am not sure if I should take winter looking clothes to keep warm, or just spring clothes. I know I will probably take jeans for the day, but not sure about dinner clothes.

I am unsure about what to wear to dinner too. I know what to wear on formal nights but I have no idea what to wear in the MDR the other nights. On tropical cruises I usually wear sundresses but I don't think that will work for an Alaskan cruise.

Unless someone more knowledgable chimes in, I still think layers are the key. Bring a couple of pretty shawls to throw over a dinner dress if needed, one light weight and one warmer. I'm just planning on nice slacks and a shirt for dinner for our May 21 cruise, one good thing about NCL is no formal night.

Lucy, you are more of a challenge. Sounds like you might be the exception to the "you don't need a coat" rule. You might look into one of those packable coats that shrink down to almost nothing to avoid trying to cram a normal coat into a suitcase! Or, if Ketchikan is an early stop, hit the Tongass Trading Post there to buy one of their $20 Alaska jackets. And if worst comes to worst, you can always ask your room steward for extra blankets to wrap around you on the ship!

Unless someone more knowledgable chimes in, I still think layers are the key. Bring a couple of pretty shawls to throw over a dinner dress if needed, one light weight and one warmer. I'm just planning on nice slacks and a shirt for dinner for our May 21 cruise, one good thing about NCL is no formal night.

Lucy, you are more of a challenge. Sounds like you might be the exception to the "you don't need a coat" rule. You might look into one of those packable coats that shrink down to almost nothing to avoid trying to cram a normal coat into a suitcase! Or, if Ketchikan is an early stop, hit the Tongass Trading Post there to buy one of their $20 Alaska jackets. And if worst comes to worst, you can always ask your room steward for extra blankets to wrap around you on the ship!

I didn't know NCL doesn't have a formal night! :( I actually like dressing up and taking the family portrait.

I am unsure about what to wear to dinner too. I know what to wear on formal nights but I have no idea what to wear in the MDR the other nights. On tropical cruises I usually wear sundresses but I don't think that will work for an Alaskan cruise.

I wear jeans/khacki's and a sweater. It is more relaxed than the Caribbean. Obviously some people do dress up more than I do.

Edited by Coral