Transportation RI to NYC

NJLVW

Looking for information if anyone knows. How to get from RI to NYC port. The cruise lines used to use Academy Bus but they no longer offer the transportation. I have contacted them but not convenient anymore as they pick up at a street with no parking and do not go to the port anymore or airport. UGH! Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge I would be very grateful. Thank you in advance.

Where exactly are you in Mass? What time of year would you do this? What day of the week?

Basically you need to look at bus service from Providence or Boston to New York and Amtrak service from Providence or Boston to New York Penn Station. Of course driving is always an option as well.

Are you planning to do this the morning of the cruise? That could be risky depending on the time of year. Academy bus had a relationship with the cruise lines so that there was some wiggle room for a late arrival.

Where exactly are you in Mass? What time of year would you do this? What day of the week?

Basically you need to look at bus service from Providence or Boston to New York and Amtrak service from Providence or Boston to New York Penn Station. Of course driving is always an option as well.

Are you planning to do this the morning of the cruise? That could be risky depending on the time of year. Academy bus had a relationship with the cruise lines so that there was some wiggle room for a late arrival.

Thank you so much.

I was considering Feb or March. NCL Breakaway it departs on a Sunday. Last minute cruise. Yes I would go the morning of the cruise. EEK! Never have I done that. I do know the risk. I am close to Providence RI. So where Academy used to pick up at airport it was convenient for parking and getting the bus. Boston is an hour in the opposite direction for me.

I have thought of driving or looking into Amtrak. I have never been out of NY so not at all familiar with where the port is if I took the train. I suppose at that point a taxi could get me there but then if there is traffic I could end up missing the boat! (no pun intended lol)

I could also go a day ahead but then why not just fly to Florida and go from there. I thought it was an easy transition to get transportation to and from. I am finding out I am wrong.

Thank you so much for answering so quickly.

Thank you so much.

I was considering Feb or March. NCL Breakaway it departs on a Sunday. Last minute cruise. Yes I would go the morning of the cruise. EEK! Never have I done that. I do know the risk. I am close to Providence RI. So where Academy used to pick up at airport it was convenient for parking and getting the bus. Boston is an hour in the opposite direction for me.

I have thought of driving or looking into Amtrak. I have never been out of NY so not at all familiar with where the port is if I took the train. I suppose at that point a taxi could get me there but then if there is traffic I could end up missing the boat! (no pun intended lol)

I could also go a day ahead but then why not just fly to Florida and go from there. I thought it was an easy transition to get transportation to and from. I am finding out I am wrong.

Thank you so much for answering so quickly.

The port is on the west side near 50th & 12th. Cab fare from either train station or Port Authority Bus Station would be $12-15.

For Feb Mar you need a serious plan B in case of bad weather. My suggestion would be to drive to Stamford CT on Sat, get 3*+ Hotwire hotel, park at the train station for $10/day, take metro north to Grand Central, and a cab to the port.

The port is on the west side near 50th & 12th. Cab fare from either train station or Port Authority Bus Station would be $12-15.

For Feb Mar you need a serious plan B in case of bad weather. My suggestion would be to drive to Stamford CT on Sat, get 3*+ Hotwire hotel, park at the train station for $10/day, take metro north to Grand Central, and a cab to the port.

Thank you again.

So I have looked into bus service and train. Both look duable. I will watch the weather for traveling to NY. I suppose plan B would be to go a day early. Just not sure I can get the extra day. One of the reasons for doing this last minute has been I could go from a Sunday - Sunday for purposes of work. I would also be able to get to the port the day of cruise. Convenience! Still waiting to see if I can even take the days off from work. I should know for sure by the end of the week.

Thank you!

Hi Neighbor, I am headed down for a GEM sailing in February. I booked my bus with Peter Pan from Providence/Pawtucket terminal. I think the bus departs at 6:30am, arrives NY Port Authority at around 10:15am. And then taking an Uber to the pier for about $10. Also Gobuses should be releasing their Schedule soon. Ellen from RI

Hi Neighbor, I am headed down for a GEM sailing in February. I booked my bus with Peter Pan from Providence/Pawtucket terminal. I think the bus departs at 6:30am, arrives NY Port Authority at around 10:15am. And then taking an Uber to the pier for about $10. Also Gobuses should be releasing their Schedule soon. Ellen from RI

Thank you Ellen,

Do you know if there is parking at the terminal? I actually contacted Peter Pan and Amtrak. Time to get into NY we are gonna go with Peter Pan. Train gets in closer to 11:00 and if there are any delays well I just don't won't to take a chance.

Now just waiting for an ok to get time out of work...

My update..Still waiting on ok from work. Can you believe it? I have done a ton of research. Gobuses hasn't released schedule as of yet but we decided to go Peter Pan. Convenience. Park at bus station. Now plan B would be to go 1 day ahead. Which I would have to leave after my work day. Getting me into NY after 10pm. Does anyone know of any close but safe hotels in the area or where we can get a taxi to one closer to port? It would also need to be a last minute thing as I will be watching the weather before making that decision. The idea of Stamford CT would be good but then we are driving almost the whole way there and we are trying to avoid that. So I do need to leave from Prov. Thanx again for any and all recommendations!

My update..Still waiting on ok from work. Can you believe it? I have done a ton of research. Gobuses hasn't released schedule as of yet but we decided to go Peter Pan. Convenience. Park at bus station. Now plan B would be to go 1 day ahead. Which I would have to leave after my work day. Getting me into NY after 10pm. Does anyone know of any close but safe hotels in the area or where we can get a taxi to one closer to port? It would also need to be a last minute thing as I will be watching the weather before making that decision. The idea of Stamford CT would be good but then we are driving almost the whole way there and we are trying to avoid that. So I do need to leave from Prov. Thanx again for any and all recommendations!

If you decide last minute to go 1 day early (Feb 11, right?), your best option could be Hotwire. You want to look at any hotel in Times Square South, Theater District, Times Square North, or Madison Square Garden that has at least a 3* rating and at least an 80% approval rating. If you're not familiar with Hotwire, take a look to see how it works and ask questions. I know that booking a blind hotel might not be comfortable, but it will be cost effective on a last minute emergency basis. Oyster.com is another option. For Feb 11 I'm seeing the Holiday Inn on 57th St for $109.

If you decide last minute to go 1 day early (Feb 11, right?), your best option could be Hotwire. You want to look at any hotel in Times Square South, Theater District, Times Square North, or Madison Square Garden that has at least a 3* rating and at least an 80% approval rating. If you're not familiar with Hotwire, take a look to see how it works and ask questions. I know that booking a blind hotel might not be comfortable, but it will be cost effective on a last minute emergency basis. Oyster.com is another option. For Feb 11 I'm seeing the Holiday Inn on 57th St for $109.

I am not at all familiar with booking anything on line. I always like to speak with a person. lol. Yes that would be my date. I am truly hoping the weather will be fine for travel on my day. It just makes it easier. I did try to do a search for hotels just in case and just didn't know where to look for a safe place and also safe for travel in the evening. Never been to NY city. Thank you for all your suggestions! By any chance is the Holiday Inn the express and near the port? I checked yesterday and when I put in the dates it was about 150. Maybe a few days ahead it will be less. I am going to watch the weather and as long as there is NO white stuff predicted for the date I leave we will go in the morning of. I know its a chance but..it is different for me totally without any planning for this. It's just a vacation that is needed..

I am not at all familiar with booking anything on line. I always like to speak with a person. lol. Yes that would be my date. I am truly hoping the weather will be fine for travel on my day. It just makes it easier. I did try to do a search for hotels just in case and just didn't know where to look for a safe place and also safe for travel in the evening. Never been to NY city. Thank you for all your suggestions! By any chance is the Holiday Inn the express and near the port? I checked yesterday and when I put in the dates it was about 150. Maybe a few days ahead it will be less. I am going to watch the weather and as long as there is NO white stuff predicted for the date I leave we will go in the morning of. I know its a chance but..it is different for me totally without any planning for this. It's just a vacation that is needed..

The holiday inn I'm seeing is the one on 57th St. The Holiday Inn Express on West 48th and the Comfort Inn on West 48th are two hotels within walking distance of the port. Where does your bus arrive in NYC? Port Authority Bus terminal or some sort of street drop off location? Safety is always a concern, but midtown Manhattan has a good safety reputation. If you arrive at Port Authority, there is a cab stand right out front and you simply take a cab to your hotel.