Fly Fishing!

Erika382

does he fly fish now or is he looking for instruction? will he bring his own equipment (including waders)? what is more important; fishing, fishing and catching, or fishing and keeping? need a guide or comfortable being dropped off streamside? what time of year as that will determine species availability? does he get all screamy touching a fish and need someone else to bait his hook.....?

does he fly fish now or is he looking for instruction? will he bring his own equipment (including waders)? what is more important; fishing, fishing and catching, or fishing and keeping? need a guide or comfortable being dropped off streamside? what time of year as that will determine species availability? does he get all screamy touching a fish and need someone else to bait his hook.....?

He does fish all the time now but he is looking for a tour that will provide it (with a guide so he doesn't get lost)! We are coming in the last week of May into the beginning of June). Thanks for helping!

and who wouldn't want to jig for squid in 20 degree and pitch black, esp when they're ~20" long.

DSCN1809_zpsravacuq5.jpg

for your late may window steelhead is going to be your target species. There'll be some cutthroat trout in the streams and planted rainbow trout in some of the lakes, but the steelhead is a flyfisherman's fish. I haven't kept a steelhead in ~10 years when they changed the regs to must be over 36" (about 16lbs) to retain. That's a whole lotta fish. But I'm still out there every spring chest deep freezing my tackle off .......

I can't recommend any guides but I would start by calling the fishing/sporting goods counter at Tongass Trading Co in KTN and Western Auto Marine in JNU. The Chamber of Commerce will only recommend chamber members.

Skagway is not a fishing destination ................................

Fish On!!

Edited by bottom-dragger