Progreso Off The Beaten Path

jayjoker2175

Cruising into Progreso January 30, 2017 - Looking for folks experience with private tours etc in Progreso... I have found some through Trip Advisor, but prices are not listed, Has anyone taken any of the private tours, what kind of tour did you do\where did you go, who did you book with what was the price, etc...:)

• 4 weeks later...

Took a bus tour of the city offered at the bus station. Was about $5 a person plus a small tip. Idk, if it were me, I'd very much stay ON the beaten path in progreso. Outside the port area, it is a legit 3rd world area

Thanks for the info K_Y30...

I am back from the Cruise and would somewhat agree about staying ON the beaten path haha... The shopping area that the buses take you too when you get off the ship is ok, but the salesmen are pushy, if you get off that street and walk around, it is a little sketchy here and there.

We opted to not book an excursion through Carnival though. Most of the excursions were pretty expensive and seemed to take you a long ways away from port, which I was not interested in doing. The cenote swimming looked really cool, but the good ones that are clear and down in caves are really far away, all of the ones that are close to port are ground level and exposed to the elements, so they are not always clear and beautiful like the ones are on the Yucatan cenote Ring far away from port.

After doing some research online I found that AutoProgresso tours had good reviews, so we booked the Bar Break for $35 each, it included an air-conditioned bus ride to and from resort with a tour guide that stayed at the resort with you until it was time to leave to head back to the ship, the place was beach front, all food and drink were included. The location that they took you too was the Technotel Beach. The resort was nothing too fancy, but the scenery was nice, the pool was beautiful and the ocean front area was nice, although the water is definitely murky in Progresso, so do not be expecting pristine clear water.

The waiters here will definitely take care of you, of course they expect tips, but they are very attentive. There is a little bit of shopping here, and they also have ladies that are ready to give 30 minute massages for $20. You can pull up pictures of this place on google by typing in technotel beach.