Charge for babies/infants?

DnA2010

I am trying to potentially plan a cruise to Alaska for my family (hubby, myself, 5 month baby, 12 year old stepdaughter) my sister's family (her and husband and their 5 month baby) and my mom- I am shocked at cost being quoted for the babies? Is this the norm?

Given this, what return cruise would you say is best value cruise?

Ask on the forum for the specific cruise line.

Usually they charge for all passengers in a cabin regardless of age. Some cruise lines might have minimum age for the baby.

It's actually more work for the room steward when there is a baby in the room.

Many cruise lines require infants to be at least 6 months on the first day of cruise. RCCL, Princess, Celebrity, NCL, HAL and Carnival all require at least 6 months. Probably more.

Maybe change the date of the cruise? Many cruise lines charge the child the same price as any 3rd passenger rate (assuming they are a 3rd passenger). Some luxury lines do have kids sale free. NCL sometimes has done reduced kids pricing. I would suggest getting with a travel agent who specializes in cruises.

I am trying to potentially plan a cruise to Alaska for my family (hubby, myself, 5 month baby, 12 year old stepdaughter) my sister's family (her and husband and their 5 month baby) and my mom- I am shocked at cost being quoted for the babies? Is this the norm?

Yes. Babies are people & messy at that!

I took my son when he was in diapers - the room staff had to dispose of them. When he accidentally dumped cheerios, they had to vacuum them up. He had a place at the dining table, they had to clean up after that as well. His fingers got on the glass in the elevator - that too had to be cleaned. They provide a port-a-crib...

Usually you need to pay port charges for the baby, so it shouldn't be as much as a full cruise fare, but they are still considered passengers in the passenger count.

I would have to disagree with this. Unless there is a kid sale I would say that babies pay the same fare as adults/3rd/4th passengers. OP, babies are a "soul" that takes up space in the life boat. That is what why the same price as an adult with no children prices. Lifeboat equals space. Also, just because a baby sleeps in a pack n play doesn't mean they don't consider that a soul in the room. For example, if the room is a quad you can't put 5 in the room cos of the baby's sleeping space.

Yes. Babies are people & messy at that!

I took my son when he was in diapers - the room staff had to dispose of them. When he accidentally dumped cheerios, they had to vacuum them up. He had a place at the dining table, they had to clean up after that as well. His fingers got on the glass in the elevator - that too had to be cleaned. They provide a port-a-crib...

I guess that's why DCL costs significantly more than other cruise lines and each Alaskan sailing is a sellout without a stop in Glacier Bay.

I've always wondered, can babies get seasick? What about toddlers? And then there's the possibility of a Nora virus outbreak. I don't understand taking tiny ones on a cruise.

I'm not saying they can't but very unlikely under 2 years of age for sea sickness...something in their brain development.

Noro Virus... Yes any one can get this and it's extremely dangerous for an infant under 1.

A ship is allowed to take a defined number of "souls". A baby is included in the soul count. However, they do not drink, take excursions, play bingo, get massages, etc. which are the big money makers for the cruise lines. This means that they have to make up for the revenue loss by charging them a full price.

That said, some lines may charge less for a baby. You need to do some research on your own and find out.

DON

Many cruise lines require infants to be at least 6 months on the first day of cruise. RCCL, Princess, Celebrity, NCL, HAL and Carnival all require at least 6 months. Probably more. Maybe change the date of the cruise? Many cruise lines charge the child the same price as any 3rd passenger rate (assuming they are a 3rd passenger). Some luxury lines do have kids sale free. NCL sometimes has done reduced kids pricing. I would suggest getting with a travel agent who specializes in cruises.

Wow baby brain! Our babies are currently 5.5 months so would be 11/12 months by summer

I've always wondered, can babies get seasick? What about toddlers? And then there's the possibility of a Nora virus outbreak. I don't understand taking tiny ones on a cruise.

My baby brain realized that I was mentioning their current age- they will be 11/12 months if we do this cruise.

Is Noro very very common on cruises? I would imagine it's just as dangerous for seniors and many seniors seem to cruise?

A ship is allowed to take a defined number of "souls". A baby is included in the soul count. However, they do not drink, take excursions, play bingo, get massages, etc. which are the big money makers for the cruise lines. This means that they have to make up for the revenue loss by charging them a full price.That said, some lines may charge less for a baby. You need to do some research on your own and find out.DON

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

My baby brain realized that I was mentioning their current age- they will be 11/12 months if we do this cruise. Is Noro very very common on cruises? I would imagine it's just as dangerous for seniors and many seniors seem to cruise?

We took our kids on their first cruise at exactly 6 months and unfortunately we did have to pay full price for them with Carnival and Royal Carribean. For a cruise like Alaska (because of the number of days at sea) there is a 1 year minimum age requirment for infants that is why we had to wait to make this trip in May so little one will be almost 1 year 2 months by then. NCL gave us a good deal, 3rd and 4th guests sail free, all you pay is taxes for both. So that saved us a big chuck of money. You might want to look into it.

Regarding babies getting sick lol they can get sick anywhere, but that doesn't mean you don't leave your house until their 5 lol! Cruised many times and traveled many times with my now 5 year old and 11 month old and never had a problem!

A ship is allowed to take a defined number of "souls". A baby is included in the soul count. However, they do not drink, take excursions, play bingo, get massages, etc. which are the big money makers for the cruise lines. This means that they have to make up for the revenue loss by charging them a full price.

That said, some lines may charge less for a baby. You need to do some research on your own and find out.

DON

Hmmm, I'm doing something wrong then. Not only do I pay the full adult price in tips for each kid (and always have) BUT they can drink and play Bingo like everyone else. We once had a private party when DGS was around 3 or 4 YO. Every time our party did a group shot Michael would be sitting at the bar doing a shot of 7-up with the bartender. We didn't realize this until we got our pictures back and someone had taken a picture of him leaning on the bar, one eye half open with a shot glass in his hand. Funniest picture ever.

And, of course, we can't miss out on Bingo so he plays at least a couple of games with me every cruise. One year as we were sitting in the front row and he is yelling out the numbers he needs to win. The caller calls a number and he yells Bingo! He doesn't really have a Bingo - he just wants to do the Chicken Dance. He gets the drink package every cruise. He does love his Shirley Temple's. He rather fond of Strawberry Margaritas too.

The 9 YO only drinks water but I'm thinking I might have to buy drink packages for the 8 YO and the 6 YO. Last cruise I spent around $500 on pictures because I didn't know about the super duper buy in advance sale price. Did that this cruise so I'm saving tons of money there.

Personally I always thought the kid tips were worth the money. Even as an infant there was making the PNP every day including turn down service. There was disposing of diapers, cleaning up spilled cereal that only a toddler can spill and their baby food. Yes, the ship will supply their jar baby food. Then as they get older into the the 3/4 YO group they would have something on the dinner table ready for them to eat while we read the menus. There would be some kind of distraction. Greeting them each night and "playing" with them when they had time. Despite what others have said, whether you bring your own sheets or not (yes, we did) the steward still cleaned up after them, there was still food supplied to them.

As for "adult" tipping for your "children". Please people. A teenager can eat more food in one meal then most elderly people can eat in a week. That pizza didn't make itself, those plates didn't suddenly appear there like Scottie beaming them there. Someone washed them, put them out, picked them up, repeat. Someone washed their shower towels and their swim towels. If you think your children don't cause other people work you are delusional. Are you telling me your kids live in a bubble at home and don't make a spec of dirt or when they travel they somehow become immaculate?

It seems that Canadians talk pretty loud about feeling so proud that they didn't tip for their children - whether babies, toddlers, teens or young adults unlike us Americans that like to throw our money at people. My cousin took a cruise and decided he wasn't tipping for his kids because they still lived at home. Is it really the cabin steward or food staff's fault that he had loser kids that were still living at home at the age of 27 because they couldn't get a job that paid enough because they still had no work skills? Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch I was born and raised in Canada and I find these comments so often made by Canadians about not tipping because (insert excuse here) embarrassing to say I'm Canadian. Then they blame this "tipping issue" on Americans trying to show the rest of the world how wonderful they are. If you are going to be cheap, own up to it.

Hmmm, I'm doing something wrong then. Not only do I pay the full adult price in tips for each kid (and always have) BUT they can drink and play Bingo like everyone else. We once had a private party when DGS was around 3 or 4 YO. Every time our party did a group shot Michael would be sitting at the bar doing a shot of 7-up with the bartender. We didn't realize this until we got our pictures back and someone had taken a picture of him leaning on the bar, one eye half open with a shot glass in his hand. Funniest picture ever.

And, of course, we can't miss out on Bingo so he plays at least a couple of games with me every cruise. One year as we were sitting in the front row and he is yelling out the numbers he needs to win. The caller calls a number and he yells Bingo! He doesn't really have a Bingo - he just wants to do the Chicken Dance. He gets the drink package every cruise. He does love his Shirley Temple's. He rather fond of Strawberry Margaritas too.

The 9 YO only drinks water but I'm thinking I might have to buy drink packages for the 8 YO and the 6 YO. Last cruise I spent around $500 on pictures because I didn't know about the super duper buy in advance sale price. Did that this cruise so I'm saving tons of money there.

Personally I always thought the kid tips were worth the money. Even as an infant there was making the PNP every day including turn down service. There was disposing of diapers, cleaning up spilled cereal that only a toddler can spill and their baby food. Yes, the ship will supply their jar baby food. Then as they get older into the the 3/4 YO group they would have something on the dinner table ready for them to eat while we read the menus. There would be some kind of distraction. Greeting them each night and "playing" with them when they had time. Despite what others have said, whether you bring your own sheets or not (yes, we did) the steward still cleaned up after them, there was still food supplied to them.

As for "adult" tipping for your "children". Please people. A teenager can eat more food in one meal then most elderly people can eat in a week. That pizza didn't make itself, those plates didn't suddenly appear there like Scottie beaming them there. Someone washed them, put them out, picked them up, repeat. Someone washed their shower towels and their swim towels. If you think your children don't cause other people work you are delusional. Are you telling me your kids live in a bubble at home and don't make a spec of dirt or when they travel they somehow become immaculate?

It seems that Canadians talk pretty loud about feeling so proud that they didn't tip for their children - whether babies, toddlers, teens or young adults unlike us Americans that like to throw our money at people. My cousin took a cruise and decided he wasn't tipping for his kids because they still lived at home. Is it really the cabin steward or food staff's fault that he had loser kids that were still living at home at the age of 27 because they couldn't get a job that paid enough because they still had no work skills? Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch I was born and raised in Canada and I find these comments so often made by Canadians about not tipping because (insert excuse here) embarrassing to say I'm Canadian. Then they blame this "tipping issue" on Americans trying to show the rest of the world how wonderful they are. If you are going to be cheap, own up to it.

Well said! Wish we could see that pic of you DGS!

• 1 year later...

On our flight from Seattle to Anchorage there were a handful of babies traveling on a midnight - 3AM flight... I couldn't help but wonder, what the hell are these parents doing? The babies can't enjoy a vacation like an Alaska cruise, it makes more work for the parents, and I doubt many of the passengers will enjoy crying babies any more than I did. I realize it's probably not possible, but I'd recommend finding someone to leave them with while you're away. It'll be better for everyone involved.