Mystic Mountain Bobsled and Reggae Hill in Jamaica

jbonvi137

Has anyone been on the "Flavor of Reggae Hill" excursion which includes the bobsled down mystic mountain and Reggae Hill visit? Looking for feedback on both. I will be traveling with my husband and two boys (9yo and 6yo). My husband is over the 250lb mark of a lot of the "thrill rides" so a lot of the active excursions aren't an option. Thank you for your help!

My husband and 8 year old son did the Mystic Mountain Jamaican bobsled (as well as the zip line and ski lift thing at Mystic Mountain). They really enjoyed it. The only downside was that the lines for the 3 activities were long. There was some entertainment, such as a limbo contest. Honestly, my son didn't complain...he said the whole thing was great. My husband was the one who said that it could have been organized a little better so as to be more efficient with time. But overall, they had a very good time.

Have not done the Flavor of Reggae Hill but have done the bobsled at mystic hill. Your boys would probably enjoy the bobsled but it is nothing like a bobsled. It is more like a bad rollercoaster ride, a little rickety and shakey. In my opinion not worth the money or the time. We did the bobsled zip line combo at mystic mountain and though the kids had fun they were both a let down and overpriced. If you are looking for adventure there are some good places for zip lining or tubing. They sell extra rides down the bobsled while you are there so be prepared that your boys will probably want to ride it again. Would love to give you a positive review of it but really felt like it was a waste of money.

Thank you both for your quick reply!!! The kids both love roller coasters but not waiting in line so much. We can't do the zip line or the rafting because my husband is over the 250lb limit. Any other suggestions for families? We looked at the dolphin swim but are doing the stingray swim in Cayman. I was also hoping to expose the boys to a little more of the Jamaican culture and landscape. This will be their first trip out of the country so I want them to soak up whatever they can!

Jess

Thank you both for your quick reply!!! The kids both love roller coasters but not waiting in line so much. We can't do the zip line or the rafting because my husband is over the 250lb limit. Any other suggestions for families? We looked at the dolphin swim but are doing the stingray swim in Cayman. I was also hoping to expose the boys to a little more of the Jamaican culture and landscape. This will be their first trip out of the country so I want them to soak up whatever they can!

Jess

I suggest you read up on/post on the Ports of Call board for Jamaica:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=111

Dunns waterfall in my opinion is a must. First time I went I was 13 and my memories of it carried into adulthood. We took our kids when they were 6, 10, & 12 who are now 14, 18, & 20 and all three enjoyed it. Our 14 year old's clearest memories from that trip were Dunn's waterfalls in Jamaica and stingray city in Grand Cayman. When our 20 year old graduated high school I took her and two friends on a cruise, her two friends had never been to the port stops that included Jamaica & Grand Cayman. The girls picked all their excursions on their own and my daughter tried to talk them into the waterfalls but the whole idea of the bobsled won out. They all had a good time but her two friends had never zip lined anything more than the type they have at summer camps/retreat centers. My daughter felt they missed out on an opportunity that they could only have in Jamaica. She did talk them into stingray city and they all had a great time (it was my 3rd trip to stingray city). I would suggest you take the earliest tour of stingray city so it doesn't take your whole day. After stingray city you can take the city bus to the turtle farm and there is plenty of time in the day to do both stingray city and the turtle farm. Your boys are the perfect age for stingray city and the turtle farm.

We went over spring break with a lot of families from the elementary school my kids went to and we had four of the families go to the falls with 5 six year olds in the group. Need good water shoes. The kids were okay in the cheap ones but I was wearing Keens and would not have done it in anything less. When I did as a kid you did it barefoot, which I can't even imagine doing it that way now. People of all ages do it young and old, & there is a trail and stairs that follow it up for those who don't want to actually climb them (kinda takes the fun out of it but some people might have a hard time with it depending on their health). You go up with a guide and everyone holds hands. Put your youngest between you and your husband and he will be fine.

We did Mystic Mountain in 2010 when Liberty still docked at Ochos Rios. We loved it. Not sure how much has changed but in addition to the bobsled and the Zipline, they had a small museum, an infinity edge pool with a slide and a nice view, and a decent restaurant/bar. We did the bobsled twice. I don't recall it being as rickety as someone else said, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's gone downhill (sorry...couldn't resist). The Zipline was the highlight for us. If your husband is not able to do the Zipline, combined with the much longer bus ride from Falmouth, you may not get as much enjoyment as we did. Here are several pictures:

Top of the bobsled run, waiting to head down

IMG_1961_edited-1_zpsajcvpyr4.jpg

Bobsled run

IMG_1964_zps5okgopx7.jpg

Ziplining

IMG_1984.jpg

Vertical drop part of the Zipline (note people on bottom left corner)

IMG_1996_zpsixgopadv.jpg

Restaurant

IMG_1968_zpsnjln8of6.jpg

Infinity edge pool with bobsled track wrapping around and slide on right

IMG_1974_zpsbhnumrr9.jpg

We did Mystic Mountain and Dunn's River a few years ago with our two kids. They LOVED the excursion saying it was their favorite of the entire cruise! The lift up the mountain offers spectacular views and the bobsleds were really fun. Don't expect Disney's Space Mountain and enjoy the day for what it is; beautiful scenery and making memories with family. Happy cruising😊

For what it's worth, I also wanted to expose the kids (10 and 13) to Jamaican culture. Assuming you are in Falmouth, we booked outside of RCI a food tour in the city. Trip Advisor had great reviews so we will be taking a chance on this. Looks like great fun (and kids were jazzed about trying new foods)!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did the mountain side coaster in Haiti last year, and I've watched the YouTube videos of the bobsled in Jamaica. It looks exactly that same! We are planning on doing this for our excursion to Ocho Rios. Is it unlimited rides down? We are looking forward to this excursion!

• 2 weeks later...

We did Mystic Mtn a couple years ago and it was fantastic. Our tour was bobsled and zip lining. There were 2 lines for the bobsleds, one was for people who did that only and the other was for people who did sleds and zip lines. We only waited in line for about 10 minutes, while the others waited for a while, it's kind of like having a fast pass at Disneyland or WDW. We're doing it again this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did the mountain side coaster in Haiti last year, and I've watched the YouTube videos of the bobsled in Jamaica. It looks exactly that same! We are planning on doing this for our excursion to Ocho Rios. Is it unlimited rides down? We are looking forward to this excursion!

One time down but they will sell additional rides, do not remember the price.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One time down but they will sell additional rides, do not remember the price.

That sucks it's a one time thing! In Haiti is was only $39/person for unlimited. This one for Carnival said $59.99/person and it's only once down???? Oh well! Sounds like there's plenty to do!

That sucks it's a one time thing! In Haiti is was only $39/person for unlimited. This one for Carnival said $59.99/person and it's only once down???? Oh well! Sounds like there's plenty to do!

We did the zip/bob sled combo & it was one time down, they may sell different pkgs that include more & they sold extra ride tokens there ( I do not remember the price but I do remember it being pretty pricey)

Checked trip advisor and only could find 1 review that had a cost for the extra ride and they say it is $20, I thought I remembered around $15 but I could be totally wrong. But even the most recent reviews from this year say it is still once down and one review said they had an hour wait in line.

Hi we did this in June we got transport out side port they took us to the excursion we paid there then at the end of the day they rang the taxi people who then picked us up a lot cheaper than paying on the ship we only did the Bob sleigh and the swimming pool had a drink in the bar lovely day out