Seven tips for your 1st Alaskan cruise

CineGraphic

Some cool tips on here, thanks everyone!

I also wanted to share a really funny blog written by one of the crew members on the NCL Jewel doing Alaska, with some great stories about what to do and where to eat in the Alaskan ports. It's called Down To Kokomo blog and is on WordPress.

Happy Sailing everybody! :D

Wow. Three posts and all three are promoting the blog written by either you or a friend of yours. Do you get paid for promoting?

> frontier casualness

Same attitude in Texas (where I used to live) and Wyoming. Jeans and a nice shirt are as fancy as it gets. I'm an East Coaster by birth (hey, don't blame me, I didn't have a choice) and occasionally my background raises its ugly head and whispers "a lady needs a knee-length skirt for day wear" but I tell it to shush. ;)

• Haha 1

Wow. Three posts and all three are promoting the blog written by either you or a friend of yours. Do you get paid for promoting?

No and nor do I get paid or use any advertising on the blog. I thought that some cruisers might like to read it. I write for free. As well as working on the ship 7 days a week for 9 months at a time.:eek:

• Like 1

No and nor do I get paid or use any advertising on the blog. I thought that some cruisers might like to read it. I write for free. As well as working on the ship 7 days a week for 9 months at a time.:eek:

Hey I would love to read that...how do I get it? Thanks..need any info I can get!!!

LOVE the blog and how easy it is to read! Would have loved to work on a ship..but alas..those days are done! Great job! We are on the Sun in August. What are some of your recommendations for shopping and restaurants? I'm presuming you don't do excursions with limited time...but if you have..go for it..Thanks crew lady!

SaveSave

LOVE the blog and how easy it is to read! Would have loved to work on a ship..but alas..those days are done! Great job! We are on the Sun in August. What are some of your recommendations for shopping and restaurants? I'm presuming you don't do excursions with limited time...but if you have..go for it..Thanks crew lady!

SaveSave

Yes, sadly didn't have time for many excursions, but some of them looked great, especially the dog sledging and helicopter or sea plane tours. Just be aware that sometimes fog or bad weather can disrupt plans.

Skagway is a great shopping port for souvenirs. Plenty of really interesting shops in the quaint town. I'm afraid I mostly ate on the ship, so can't recommend many restaurants in Alaska other than Tracy's King Crab Shack, which whilst rugged is really worth a visit in Juneau. Hope this helps!

And thanks Notentirelynormal

I was thinking of working on a ship, too - as a registered nurse. But by the time I had enough experience for a cruise ship to consider me, I was married with 2 young children. Can't say "unfortunately" because I am so grateful to God for loaning them to me, but they did eliminate some opportunities!