Ditch Freeport

Sir_Randy

I see on Google map and using Google earth, its a industrial area. I see 18 wheeler trailers and giant petroleum container tanks.

Have anyone walk around outside the shops. I will just walk around near the beach near the port. Anyone?

I see on Google map and using Google earth, its a industrial area. I see 18 wheeler trailers and giant petroleum container tanks.

Have anyone walk around outside the shops. I will just walk around near the beach near the port. Anyone?

It is industrial right around where your ship docks - and like Las Vegas walking seems doable but not really - the distance is misleading, you have to go thru a terminal "gate" (make sure you have passport/ship ID!) and the beach is for walking and looking. Don't go swimming unless you enjoy sharks as company! There was (may still be) a eatery near the entrance to the port on the beach that served good local seafood.... AND all the leftovers (from making fish filets/lobster shells/etc) went right over the deck into the ocean at a set time. They promoted the "shark feeding" and many diners went just to see the spectacle.

Can you do it? Yes I think so, we started to do it once, got to the gate and after a bit of "where are you going" and "where's your car/moped?" we just decided to go have a drink!

Have fun and let us know what happens!

• 2 weeks later...
It is industrial right around where your ship docks - and like Las Vegas walking seems doable but not really - the distance is misleading, you have to go thru a terminal "gate" (make sure you have passport/ship ID!) and the beach is for walking and looking. Don't go swimming unless you enjoy sharks as company! There was (may still be) a eatery near the entrance to the port on the beach that served good local seafood.... AND all the leftovers (from making fish filets/lobster shells/etc) went right over the deck into the ocean at a set time. They promoted the "shark feeding" and many diners went just to see the spectacle.

Can you do it? Yes I think so, we started to do it once, got to the gate and after a bit of "where are you going" and "where's your car/moped?" we just decided to go have a drink!

Have fun and let us know what happens!

I walk total of 5.21 miles near the port. The beach is pretty. The restaurant where they feed the shark is not open after the hurricane.

Here is where I went:

http://www.mapmywalk.com/workout/2020308908

http://www.mapmywalk.com/workout/2020866893

Hey, thanks for the information on Paradise Cove, Deadmansreef.com. Looks like something we would love. I am still deciding on what to book for Aug/Sept timeframe if we go to Freeport. Haven't booked the cruise yet but this sounds great.

Freeport has some beautiful beaches and unlike Nassau there are usually only one or two ships there at a time. The 4 times I've been there on the Pride we had to be back on the ship by 1pm. Going to a beach at 7am and having to be back on board by one isn't a relaxing day. The port area is very industrial but if you want free wifi you can drink at abar there. My husband picked up a few Cuban cigars to smoke on the ship cheap. If you have a longer day than we had definitly check out the beaches!

• 3 weeks later...

NCL abandoning Freeport? I am booked on 11/27/17 Sky and just got a letter from NCL that they canceled my Freeport excursion do to operational issues. Just spoke with the tour operator to book direct and she (Diane from Pat and Dianes) informed me that she is suspending her tours when NCL is scheduled to be in port because word on the street is that NCL is going to stop going to Freeport!!! I know the SKY is now going to Cuba, but they were going to keep the Thanksgiving/Christmas cruises going to the Bahamas.

NCL abandoning Freeport? I am booked on 11/27/17 Sky and just got a letter from NCL that they canceled my Freeport excursion do to operational issues. Just spoke with the tour operator to book direct and she (Diane from Pat and Dianes) informed me that she is suspending her tours when NCL is scheduled to be in port because word on the street is that NCL is going to stop going to Freeport!!! I know the SKY is now going to Cuba, but they were going to keep the Thanksgiving/Christmas cruises going to the Bahamas.

That is news! Thanks for sharing the email info.

There was just an announcement the other day that Carnival is building a new port on Grand Bahama. They will build near Freeport but it won't be in Freeport anymore. Opens in two years. Looks like the lines are leaving Freeport.