Lunch on Viking

mskaufman

I have been reading reviews on CC and have seen lunch and dinner menus. As a non meat eater dinner looks fine as I can always get salmon. What about lunch? What is on the lunch buffet if the menu items are something I do not eat?

You won't have a problem at lunch. I don't eat meat either, and I had no problem either on the Viking Rhine Getaway in 2014 or the Grand European last year. They always had salad fixin's at lunch along with a meatless soup. The lunch appetizers often had a non-meat selection. Sometimes there would be fish as a lunch option. On the Grand European trip, often there was a specialty pasta. They usually were meatless, but the chef would create it at the buffet counter so you could always ask for meatless. If you're on a longship, the Aquavit Terrace is great for lunch in nice weather. There are many options there too, and always at least one that is meatless.

Viking's river boats have a buffet lunch in the lounge as well as the sit-down lunch in the dining room. We always found it better to go to the lounge. It doesn't take as long, and it isn't as filling. I do it meat, but there is always a salad, fruit, bread, etc. in the buffet.

You may also want to mention it when you book. Viking has several menu options that are not printed. I'm lactose intolerant and each morning I'd be given the lunch & dinner menu to see what I could order and how they could work around it, they were very accommodating. I think several meals offered some type of fish or chicken (don't know if you eat chicken) choice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have been reading reviews on CC and have seen lunch and dinner menus. As a non meat eater dinner looks fine as I can always get salmon. What about lunch? What is on the lunch buffet if the menu items are something I do not eat?

Let me also add to the conversation that you won't have any issues finding meatless options for any meal with Viking. We are both vegetarian and Viking did a great job with all meals on our two cruises so far. Just make sure that you mention it both at time of booking and to the restaurant staff.

Enjoy!

Jeff

I don't eat any fish or seafood and found that to be predominantly featured on many of their menus--either as a salad/appetizer or entr?e. There is always a vegan entr?e on dinner menu and salmon is always available as their fish choice (if you don't care for the other daily options...which usually include a fish entr?e.)