Tips on Solo Cruising, pls.

bluebelle2010

I agree!! I appreciate all the comments, tips and different perspectives. Oh, and I loved the Mark Twain quote above ~ I need to put that on my fridge!

As it turns out, I have a must attend event in Southern California on Saturday evening, March 4th. There just so happens to be a cruise ending on that same day and the distance between the cruise port and the venue is about 50 minutes away. The cruise is a 7 nights on the Ruby Princess, so I think this is meant to be! I think this is a perfect length cruise for my first solo venture.

Well, BOO! It is sold out, but I think I still have a chance if I get on a waiting list!! :)

It went fast - I saw it on the forums last Thursday and the dates, price and itinerary were perfect so I booked and by last night the deal was gone. Glad I found out about cruiseplum - three different ways to search for good solo deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It went fast - I saw it on the forums last Thursday and the dates, price and itinerary were perfect so I booked and by last night the deal was gone. Glad I found out about cruiseplum - three different ways to search for good solo deals.

So are you on the February 25th cruise on the Ruby, or was that in reference to an earlier post? I was able to get on the waitlist and got a cabin ~ so happy about that! Not my first choice (or second or third) for the cabin I was assigned, but I'm thrilled to be going on the cruise and have my fingers crossed for an upgrade call! :) Edited by bluebelle2010

Hi Lois ~

might just be meals that are bothering me but there are solutions to that. I enjoy anytime/freestyle dining, but wouldn't want to be the only single at a table full of married couples, and I think if I articulate that to the staff that is doing the seating, I should be fine

For what it's worth I have a point of view on this. My mom was widowed a few years ago and she has made comments on these lines several times, that she feels out of place being a single with married couples. I'm thinking that this might just be a function of missing my dad, because I've never been married and I never feel uncomfortable being the single with married couples.

To be honest I have found the couples are often very interested in having a "third wheel" because they've been talking to each other nonstop for several weeks of the cruise or years frankly and enjoy a new point of view.

Additionally I have traveled alone and sometimes with friends. When I'm alone I meet far more people because strangers approach a single to make conversation much more frequently then they do a couple

I hope you go for it and enjoy the adventure. Good luck!

For what it's worth I have a point of view on this. My mom was widowed a few years ago and she has made comments on these lines several times, that she feels out of place being a single with married couples. I'm thinking that this might just be a function of missing my dad, because I've never been married and I never feel uncomfortable being the single with married couples.

It is also a function of those people (who make up the couples)......some simply aren't secure enough to see their spouse giving attention to an unattached person (and the age, gender, or attractiveness of the single person doesn't make a difference). Also some couples think they don't have anything in common with a single person worth talking about (of course not true, but that's their presumption).

I was on the Divina MSC 1/19 cruise as a solo traveler and had a different experience. Most passengers on MSC are European as are the staff. I found it difficult to make friends due to the language barriers. I went on an excursion to the Atlantis hotel in Nassau. There were 3 of us English speakers the rest , about 18 were French and had their own interpreter. The ship was incredibly crowded. I have traveled over 8 cruises solo and this was the most disappointing. I will not travel solo on MSC again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello....I just got home today from a cruise (solo of course;)).....I had a good week and my dining experiences

were positive:D..........

3 nights I ate in the main dining room...twice I asked to be put with others and both tables were very nice and

1 night I ate with a couple I had met and the 3 of ate together.

1 night was the SUPERBOWL and I ate in the main theater with 100's of other people:D....they had all kinds of

foods.

2 nights I ate Specialty....once on my own and once with another couple I met and became friendly with and we went together. (not the same couple as in the MDR)........so I met some friendly folks overall.

1 night I was part of a culinary excursion during the day and we had dinner together back on the ship.....9 people

and it was really fun:D

I appreciate the advice and tips. I'm heading out on February 25th solo...I think! My sister may be joining me. Anyway, it is a short cruise (7 days) ~ LA to the Mexican Riviera, so I think it will be a good cruise!!

Keeps us posted how on how it goes for you. You will have a great time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it's natural to be apprehensive about doing something you've never done before. You'll be fine, and once you've done a solo cruise, the next one will be easier.

Roz

Following this thread as I will be taking my first solo cruise in Dec on NCL Epic. Emotions go from excitement to nervousness!

I'm sailing solo on epic dec 2! Which date are you on? I've been on getaway twice solo and I'm going on breakaway to Bermuda in June. My first solo was a little scary but I went with an open mind. I had a great time!

I've traveled cruised solo for about 20+ years now - my first cruise on Princess was the Baltics and I loved anytime dining. I met the best people married, single, widowed, etc. I've been adopted many times. Some nights I skipped dining room and dined solo elsewhere - it's the freedom to do as you wish.

I've met many great friends on cruises.

I'm next off to Alaska again as my first attempt many years ago the ship broke down and we skipped the glaciers on a glacier cruise!

as a TA I encourage clients to sail solo once to give it a try they are never alone with new friends they meet - I love the studio cabins (and solo lounge) on NCL and they do too.

Have a great time!

Most likely it'll be RCI again, although I'm also considering NCL. A group from Britain that I met on the cruise and ended up dinning with each evening thought I was brave to travel alone, but that thought never occurred to me. I don't know how many years I'll be able to travel & there's so much I want to see - so I decided to just do it. I had moments of apprehension before I left, but I have those even when I'm traveling cross country w/ or to meet family. Once I am on my way my attitude is if any problems arise I'm perfectly capable of solving them.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bow lines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade wind in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

I booked a TA from Miami to Southampton in April/2017. It popped into my head that I need to leave land behind badly. Its my first solo cruise. Like many of you, my family is great but I need to STOP TEXTING and depending on devices and not be at everyone's beck and call and sail away alone. I hope I won't be sad. I am always friendly but I'm in my 50's and suddenly alone. I need to smile again. I hope I can do it.

I booked a TA from Miami to Southampton in April/2017. It popped into my head that I need to leave land behind badly. Its my first solo cruise. Like many of you, my family is great but I need to STOP TEXTING and depending on devices and not be at everyone's beck and call and sail away alone. I hope I won't be sad. I am always friendly but I'm in my 50's and suddenly alone. I need to smile again. I hope I can do it.

Good morning, I will try and advocate for you (just for a moment:)).....I am in my 50s too...will be 59 in a few weeks and

have been sailing solo for many years.........I love it......and hopefully a couple of days after you sail you will love it too:D

Doing what you want, when you want (or don't want) it is lovely.......there is no reason for you to be sad, really.......cruising

is so easy......unpack once....

As for that texting thing? I know I am in the minority in this place we call "earth"........but I do not text...........yes, really,

I have never upgraded to a smart phone and I know some folks think I am crazy but I don't care. I still use a flip phone.

Oh, when I cruise it stays in the cabin the entire time..........I don't bring any electronic devices with me......I UNplug

and maybe you will too.:)

Hope you have a great cruise and have a big smile:D

My first solo many years ago I was a bit nervous about how I'd manage it. That went away the moment I got to the atrium on embarkation.

Lois, I have a Jitterbug flip phone for emergencies only. No texting. Hate cell phones but try finding a pay phone!

I have been traveling solo for 7 years and have traveled on Princess, Royal, Carnival and NCL. I can tell you NCL cares about solo cruisers, with parties just for them, dinner at single tables but just don't like the cruise lines.

As everyone that is solo has said, you can do what you want, where you want and when you want. New ships are building single cabins but they are so small. I don't like them. I usually book an ocean view, I never sit out on a balcony so I won't pay for something I don't use.

I always book the set time dining, same table mates every night. I have made many good friends I keep in contact with. This is how I meet people to do a shore excursion.

With Princess and Royal I get good discounts for cruising so my cabin is a reasonable price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for all the replies! I am now back from my first solo cruise...and I LOVED it! I LOVED having my own cabin and being on my own schedule. I slept so good. I met my CC group on the sail away and sea day M&G's and struck up friendships that will last beyond the cruise. We met for lunch and dinner, on ship shopping and pal-ing around, off ship excursions, etc. Our CC group did a Crown Grill gathering for dinner one night and 12 of us attended. I likely wouldn't have eaten there alone, so that was a plus. Sometimes I went to shows alone, but didn't feel that I stood out as many people go alone even if they aren't traveling alone. I'm so glad I extended out past my comfort zone as a whole new world of travel awaits!!!

Thank you for all the replies! I am now back from my first solo cruise...and I LOVED it! I LOVED having my own cabin and being on my own schedule. I slept so good. I met my CC group on the sail away and sea day M&G's and struck up friendships that will last beyond the cruise. We met for lunch and dinner, on ship shopping and pal-ing around, off ship excursions, etc. Our CC group did a Crown Grill gathering for dinner one night and 12 of us attended. I likely wouldn't have eaten there alone, so that was a plus. Sometimes I went to shows alone, but didn't feel that I stood out as many people go alone even if they aren't traveling alone. I'm so glad I extended out past my comfort zone as a whole new world of travel awaits!!!

Welcome back and I am glad you had such a good time:)....sailing solo is so awesome. As for sleeping well,

I always sleep well on a cruise.....whether it is the motion, the relaxation, the lack of stress, or all of those things

combined, I sleep better on a cruiseship than I do at home.

Welcome back and I am glad you had such a good time:)....sailing solo is so awesome. As for sleeping well,

I always sleep well on a cruise.....whether it is the motion, the relaxation, the lack of stress, or all of those things

combined, I sleep better on a cruise ship than I do at home.

Thanks for your post!

Now I know its possible to go alone and have fun ! Congrats !

I'm doing my first solo cruise April 13, TA to Southampton ! Then solo in London, the Eurostar to Paris and Easyjet to Nice for 3 weeks and flying back to Ft. Lauderdale.

Good morning, I will try and advocate for you (just for a moment:)).....I am in my 50s too...will be 59 in a few weeks and

have been sailing solo for many years.........I love it......and hopefully a couple of days after you sail you will love it too:D

Doing what you want, when you want (or don't want) it is lovely.......there is no reason for you to be sad, really.......cruising

is so easy......unpack once....

As for that texting thing? I know I am in the minority in this place we call "earth"........but I do not text...........yes, really,

I have never upgraded to a smart phone and I know some folks think I am crazy but I don't care. I still use a flip phone.

Oh, when I cruise it stays in the cabin the entire time..........I don't bring any electronic devices with me......I UNplug

and maybe you will too.:)

Hope you have a great cruise and have a big smile:D

Hi

Thanks for your reply ! Your encouraging words are really appreciated ! :)

combined, I sleep better on a cruiseship than I do at home.

Hi

What solo groups should I join before I leave?

Hi

What solo groups should I join before I leave?

Hi, not sure what you are referring to?......I don't join any "solo groups".