Packing for Alaskan cruise at the END OF AUGUST

rgmacm

I've read every post on here about how to pack for an Alaskan cruise. I've watched DOZENS of YouTube videos on packing for an Alaskan cruise. You'd think I'd know how to pack wouldn't you?

Well....most, if not all of those posts or videos are for those cruising in June or July. These people are suggesting that we bring along shorts and capris, short sleeves, etc... But Aug (certainly the end of the month which is when our cruise is ...) is very different from June/July. I'm doubting if shorts/capris are really the things we need...but I don't know.....

Does anyone have any suggestions...or links to a YouTube video that by some strange chance I haven't found.... with suggestions for how to pack for Alaska in Aug./Sept. (Yes, we're disembarking in Sept....

Thanks!

Beyond the general layers theory, the later in the season the earlier it gets dark... Where I am it gets cooler when the sun goes down.

If you have a good idea what to wear in general, then you should be ok for the end of August as well.

(None of us really knows what your weather or my weather will be like. Heatwave/ non-stop thunderstorms...)

Rgmacm, I'm heading to Alaska at the same time you are, and I've also been there in the early part of October. As posters mentioned above, layers will be your best bet. Don't worry about freezing--temps will probably be in the 50s during the day and in the 30s or warmer at night. According to the daylight calendar for Alaska, sunset is around 8:00 p.m. at the end of August (you can Google Alaska daylight calendar and it will give you the sunrise and sunset for every day of the year).

I plan on taking jeans, long-sleeve tee-shirts, maybe one fleece pullover, and a raincoat. The raincoat will be the most important thing you want to take. I might also take a pair of the super-thin thermal bottoms to have just-in-case (they are really light-weight and can pack to almost nothing. You can find them at Costco). I'm not taking anything bulky, as it just takes up space in the suitcase and probably won't be needed.

Check out this thread here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2367553

It's got some great information on what to pack, especially about the outerwear.

Edited by hbgroadends
Added link

Inside the ships are temperature controlled so whatever you're usually comfortable in. When we went at the end of august beginning of September I wore light capris one day with a tank top and my winter coat on another (including hat and mitts) Do yourself a favour and bring a couple of pairs of each and wear what's appropriate. No need to stress overly much on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've seen all the advice about layers but I assume that really applies to being outside. What about the inside of the ship? I'm used to sailing in the Caribbean where we wear shorts and t-shirts for hanging out around the ship.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Forums mobile app

Climate controlled. On our last AK cruise, I would don my jacket, run out & snap some photos

7376192574_cb35861025_h.jpgDSCF8329 by Amy S, on Flickr

go back inside remove my jacket & be fine.

I honestly don't recall if I was wearing "layers."

My son on the Lido deck with the roof retracted - only his fleece layer from a 3 in 1 coat.

7376154550_8d3750fb83_h.jpgDSCF8082 by Amy S, on Flickr

Climate controlled - is it really comfortable inside? I know that on Caribbean Carnival cruises, my wife gets cold - especially in the MDR

This is hard to tell... I would not wear a short sleeve shirt, I am more comfortable in a sweatshirt.

I think his statement of bringing a lightweight waterproof jacket qualifies

Thanks! A waterproof jacket or pullover (poncho?) is all you will really need. And don't bring umbrellas....they are dangerous! Can't tell you how many times I have almost been taken out by people not paying attention to what they are doing! :')

I am also taking my first Alaska cruise on May 26, near the beginning of their tourist season. I'm also stressing about what to pack. I live in Florida, and am very sensitive to cold temperatures. I bought a lightweight packable parka, gloves, and winter boots, as well as waterproof "duck shoes" that are fleece lined. I still need to get a hat & scarf. These things add weight to the suitcase, and I don't know how much room I'll have for dressier clothes for dinner. Is the dress code in the MDR more relaxed on Alaska cruises? This will be on Royal Caribbean. Thanks!

I've read every post on here about how to pack for an Alaskan cruise. I've watched DOZENS of YouTube videos on packing for an Alaskan cruise. You'd think I'd know how to pack wouldn't you?

Well....most, if not all of those posts or videos are for those cruising in June or July. These people are suggesting that we bring along shorts and capris, short sleeves, etc... But Aug (certainly the end of the month which is when our cruise is ...) is very different from June/July. I'm doubting if shorts/capris are really the things we need...but I don't know.....

Does anyone have any suggestions...or links to a YouTube video that by some strange chance I haven't found.... with suggestions for how to pack for Alaska in Aug./Sept. (Yes, we're disembarking in Sept....

Thanks!

I went end of July one year and end of August another. I packed similarly each time. I've never felt the need for shorts, even when it got warm at times. I take 2 pairs of pants that zip off into shorts, but as I say I did not feel the need for shorts. Also did not need a tank top or sleeveless, but I did have a couple short-sleeve T-shirts.

Regarding on board in the main dining room, I have a sleeveless gown that I wore once for formal night. I tend to be cold, but was never cold in the dining room. Did not need a sweater there, for example.

Most important is to have options. That's what people mean about layers. Be sure you have clothing that goes well together. For example, a T-shirt that can be worn over a long-sleeve shirt. A fleece that can go over that. A pair of silk underwear that can go under everything comfortably, which means your other clothes are not too tight, when you want to be outside all day for Glacier Bay. I have a waterproof jacket with a hood that can go over everything else. Although I love to wear jeans, they are too bulky for me to pack for Alaska. Plus jeans dry slowly when wet in rainy Alaska. So, I take my zip-off pants, which are more versatile and faster drying, instead. Dress based on your planned activities.

The reason people find packing for Alaska so difficult is the weather is so variable. Plus what works for one is not acceptable to another.

One other tip - no one cares or will even notice if you wear the same outfit multiple times. You can lighten your luggage substantially by not taking a different outfit for each day.

We went last year in early August. I spent most of the time in shorts, t-shirts and a fleece even when further north in Denali. But I do prefer to be cold than hot and am from the UK so am used to variable weather conditions.

I had a few pairs of outdoorsy trousers that you could zip off at the knees to create shorts. I carried the leg bits in my pocket or bag and could always put them back on if I got cold but I don't recall ever doing it once I took them off. I also always had a packaway waterproof jacket, tea cosy hat and gloves available in my camera bag if needed.

I can only recall a couple of times when I needed to fully zip up my fleece and put on the waterproof jacket, hat and gloves. This was mainly due to the wind when we visited a couple of glaciers and went on a small boat trip for the day out of Seward.

So I guess the simple answer is layers like a few people have already mentioned.

Sent from my A0001 using Forums mobile app

Thanks!

We're also going at the same time, end of Aug and spend couple days post cruise in Seattle since it's a 3-day weekend. This is our 3rd Alaska cruise but it's been awhile since our last one. Great packing tips here for us as well since we always overpack. Thanks for starting this thread.

Sonia & Rafael

The thing about the Pacific NW is that summer goes a bit later than you think. Take shirts just in case but my bet, being from OK is that you won't wear them much. I live in Seattle, so I am used to the weather shifts and how much it cools off in the shade. The suggestions for layers are good. You might have to pack an extra variety for this one. I was in Alaska in July last year and saw the full range of weather.

Layers.

Our Alaska cruise embarked 8/23. I would be sweating in the sun one day and wishing I'd packed even warmer clothes the next day.

In the dining room I can't help much with. The only night I remember I was sweating in my pretty dress BUT I was brand newly pregnant and the hormones hit instantly and I was an absolute furnace. I could have powered the ship lol. I bet otherwise it would have been my normal need for a shawl in the dining rooms.

We had 3 in 1 coats and for glacier-viewing day I wished for a knit cap and better gloves.

But now Seattle...last summer it was disgustingly hot for forever. But this summer maybe it'll be cold.

This is a cruise to bring your closet for. :)

We were in Alaska from 8/24-9/6 in 2015. Layers of course, jeans, and a fairly warm jacket; many days were cold and damp. Packing is not as difficult as some try to make it, you don't need special clothes. Also, in early Sept. the stores run very good sales before the season ends. You can always buy an extra sweatshirt or mid weight jacket

Thanks!

Most importantly a raincoat and umbrella. Something warm for the glacier viewing day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We were in Alaska from 8/24-9/6 in 2015. Layers of course, jeans, and a fairly warm jacket; many days were cold and damp. Packing is not as difficult as some try to make it, you don't need special clothes. Also, in early Sept. the stores run very good sales before the season ends. You can always buy an extra sweatshirt or mid weight jacket

Did you have any issues wearing jeans as it was damp?