What are the MUST things to buy in Grenada

I Love NC

Sail7seas, in regard to Grenada, I use a lot of cinnamon. So are you saying in Grenada, we can get this at the grocery store for the same price as a vendor, or your saying it might be a better quality than what the vendor has to sell?

That was posted by Island Star. Hopefully she will see your question and respond. :)

My understanding of her post and my impression after visiting Grenada a number of times would be she is buying the same cinnamon in the grocery stores as tourists buy in the various 'tourist shops' but she pays a better price for it.

It likely is packaged more traditionally without a 'gifty' look but the product is the same. I could, of course, be mistaken.

Edited by sail7seas

• 3 weeks later...

In regard to the spice necklaces in Grenada, I gather (???) they are to hang in the kitchen, etc., but not to wear, is that correct? I haven't seen any pictures, so that may seem like a strange question, but I thought I would ask.

In regard to the spice necklaces in Grenada, I gather (???) they are to hang in the kitchen, etc., but not to wear, is that correct? I haven't seen any pictures, so that may seem like a strange question, but I thought I would ask.

LOL!! no, you don't want to wear them. I hung mine in the laundry room & my daughter in law put hers in the car.

It's different spices like nutmeg, cinnamon, bay leaf & a couple others... strung on what looks like monofilament line (fishing line). If you plan on buying some, make sure you pack a paper bag to put them in.

I bought 9 & gave them as gifts when we returned home.

Sail7seas, in regard to Grenada, I use a lot of cinnamon. So are you saying in Grenada, we can get this at the grocery store for the same price as a vendor, or your saying it might be a better quality than what the vendor has to sell?

Gosh sorry for the delay in my reply and for not being clear. Sail7Seas is correct.....A vendor sells the same as the supermarkets as all our spices come from the same places in the country. It isn't necessarily better quality but it may be cheaper as it isn't all gift packaged etc.:p

That was posted by Island Star. Hopefully she will see your question and respond. :)

My understanding of her post and my impression after visiting Grenada a number of times would be she is buying the same cinnamon in the grocery stores as tourists buy in the various 'tourist shops' but she pays a better price for it.

It likely is packaged more traditionally without a 'gifty' look but the product is the same. I could, of course, be mistaken.

Sail7Seas - you are Spot on!! :)

I tried to post yesterday, but some way or another, I think it got lost.

So your saying the spice necklace is just for "fragrance,", or can these spices actually be used? If they can be used, are they pretty strong, compared to USA brands, and need to be cut down in measurement?

As you can see, I'm not familiar with this, but since it will be just a couple days before we get there, I'm trying to get all the info I need.

I believe the necklace is for fragrance only. I did buy some spices that were packed like sample size (grated in small plastic bags) in small straw container as gifts also. I never gave any thought about the strength of the spices. You might want to ask that question in Grenada.

If you want to give me your email address, I can send you a few pics of the items I purchased. I can't post pics on CC.... I have never used photo bucket.

LOL!! no, you don't want to wear them. I hung mine in the laundry room & my daughter in law put hers in the car.

It's different spices like nutmeg, cinnamon, bay leaf & a couple others... strung on what looks like monofilament line (fishing line). If you plan on buying some, make sure you pack a paper bag to put them in.

I bought 9 & gave them as gifts when we returned home.

So important to keep them in a PAPER bag to take home. :)

LuLu

Bettyboop16, thanks for your reply back.

So I guess my main question is, these are really more for fragrance, than to use in cooking, baking? The reason I ask, I do a lot of Christmas baking, and thought perhaps some of their spices might work, but as you said, I'll try to ask about strength of the spices.

Yes, if you want to email pictures, my email is bbeshears@yahoo.com

Thank you.

Bettyboop16, thanks for your reply back.

So I guess my main question is, these are really more for fragrance, than to use in cooking, baking? The reason I ask, I do a lot of Christmas baking, and thought perhaps some of their spices might work, but as you said, I'll try to ask about strength of the spices.

Yes, if you want to email pictures, my email is bbeshears@yahoo.com

Thank you.

I sent you a couple of pics.

It worked, so thank you for sending the pictures. I may get a necklace or two, just to hang in the vehicles, if I am not able to use the spices to bake with.

Think of the spice necklace as a PotPourri but on string :p you could cook with it but then you wouldnt have a nice memory of Grenada every time you get in your cars :D

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from Grenada this past week. What a beautiful area.

I did not buy the necklace (really didn't see many at the port area with the vendors), but did buy cinnamon. I ask about the measurement of this, and she said it is the same as how we do with our measurements. As my son likes to cook, etc., I let him taste/smell it, and it thought it was probably better than here in the USA, which is probably true. I did buy a dish towel with all the Grenada info on it, and thought it might shrink, but I wash it last night, and other than the sides rolling a tad, it turned out nice. I also bought a nice sparkling T-shirt with Grenada on it too.

I took some beautiful pictures, but what I am the most PROUD of is me, if I must say so. I am 73 years old/young, and "climbed" 150 or more steps "up" to the Fort, as well as down. My friend that was with me had to stay at the bottom and take pictures of me "up there."

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, and maybe I will be able to answer.

• 9 months later...
We took a tour around the island... there were five of us and he took four more with us...

3 hour tour of the island plus 1 hour at the beach.

Again we did go outside the port and got one... after I spoke to the to two local police to make sure they were legit and okay to be with...

The prices were much cheaper then the markets. We did get the necklace for 3/5 as the market wanted 5 for one...

The little baskets at the market was 10. for one and I paid 20 for 6 and 20 for this huge one. Along with 5 different pint side pure extracts for 20.

The baskets were very nice with Grenada weaved in it...

The necklace has a very nice scent.. the lady told us you can bring the scent back if you boil it water for 10-15 minutes let it dry .. and the scent is back.

I put one in the "mud room" can smell cruise every time I come in the house.

I think I missed it, but where was this market located that was so much cheaper than by the cruise port? Thanks.

• 2 months later...

We just got back from a cruise visiting Grenada last week.

We did an island tour with Vaughan Francis of Tropical Adventures and had a fantastic day. He was a great guide and very knowledgeable about the island, the plants and the birds.

The tour we did was the 'Grenada in a Nut(meg) Shell Tour.

We visited the old Rum Distillery, the Diamond Chocolate Factory and the Nutmeg Processing Plant.

Also included in the tour was a lunch at a local restaurant. There were lots of delicious, local dishes to try (fish, chicken, vegetables, rice and beans, salad etc .....) and homemade lemonade.

As we arrived at the Nutmeg Processing Plant there were some local ladies who had spice necklaces and baskets of spices to sell.

There was a shop after the tour and we did buy nutmeg jelly there, which I haven't tried yet.

We waited and bought 2 spice necklaces from the local lady outside for $5

I gave one to my daughter and have the other hanging in my kitchen.

We just got back from a cruise visiting Grenada last week.

We did an island tour with Vaughan Francis of Tropical Adventures and had a fantastic day. He was a great guide and very knowledgeable about the island, the plants and the birds.

The tour we did was the 'Grenada in a Nut(meg) Shell Tour.

We visited the old Rum Distillery, the Diamond Chocolate Factory and the Nutmeg Processing Plant.

Also included in the tour was a lunch at a local restaurant. There were lots of delicious, local dishes to try (fish, chicken, vegetables, rice and beans, salad etc .....) and homemade lemonade.

As we arrived at the Nutmeg Processing Plant there were some local ladies who had spice necklaces and baskets of spices to sell.

There was a shop after the tour and we did buy nutmeg jelly there, which I haven't tried yet.

We waited and bought 2 spice necklaces from the local lady outside for $5

I gave one to my daughter and have the other hanging in my kitchen.

I send an email to Vaughn a few hours ago so still waiting to hear from him. How big was your group? And, how long was your tour? What did he charge? We're going to be 8 travelling in January 2018. We're in port for 11 hours. Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
I send an email to Vaughn a few hours ago so still waiting to hear from him. How big was your group? And, how long was your tour? What did he charge? We're going to be 8 travelling in January 2018. We're in port for 11 hours. Any suggestions?

I think there were 10 or 11 of us on Vaughan's tour. He borrowed a larger van so that he could hold us all. The tour was about 7 hours long, and because there were so many of us he only charged US$85 which included the lunch. It was well worth the amount we paid and Vaughan was a very knowledgeable and friendly guide. I would recommend him :)