Help with 2 night Pre-Cruise stay in Rome(hotel, Transport, Restaurants)

jdlg4silb

We are going on the Celebrity Reflection in August and looking to do a 2 night pre-cruise stay in Rome. We have been to Rome once before, so we have done all the traditional touristy things, but mostly are looking for hotels in the center of Rome that can be suggested. Also, will be needing transportation from FCO to hotel, hotel to Citavecchia, and then Citavecchia back to FCO post-cruise. Suggestions?

Last question - we will be in Rome 2 nights - anybody have any suggestions for non-touristy great Italian restaurants????

Thanks everyone for your help!

I've stayed in several hotels in the centro storico over many visits. My absolute favorite is Albergo del Senato, but it has become very pricey. But worth a look to see if it's in your price range.

Two hotels that are also located nearby but at a more reasonable cost are Albergo Santa Chiara and Albergo Cesari. Both are good choices.

If none of these work for you, give us some more info about what you want and we can offer more targeted suggestions.

An official taxi from FCO airport to any destination within the centro storico (most of central Rome) has a fixed fare of 48 euro, day or night. They should not try to charge you for your luggage. Private operators cost slightly more. I've never had any problems with just using a taxi, however.

From Rome to the port, you can either set up a private transfer with one of the frequently recommended companies for yourself, or you can look on your roll call to see if anyone is looking to share (which will reduce the cost a bit). A private transfer for two will run from around 90 to 120 euro total, depending who you use.

Or you can take the train -- which is cheap but requires a certain willingness to negotiate several longish walks with your luggage and transfer it from train to city bus to port shuttle. May or may not be worth the approximately 7 euro pp price tag (5 for the train ride, 2 for the local bus....)

OK. cruisemom42 has given you the skinny on hotels and transport. I'll give you some of my hints for food...

1) Armando al Pantheon. It's not even a block from the Pantheon. Recognized as some of the best traditional Roman cuisine around. It is a very small restaurant. It is frequented by locals as well as tourists. You MUST make reservations - you can easily do it via their website. This is my go-to restaurant for my first nights in Rome. I have always been treated well there as a solo woman.

2) Cesare al Casaletto. It is out of the centro storico, but easy to reach as it is at the end of the Number 8 tram line. This is a place where it is good to go with family and friends so you can sample all their goodies. The antipasto offerings are yummy - the fried gnocchi in gorgonzola sauce - OH MY. This one you also must reserve.

3) Emma Pizzeria. In Campo di Fiore area. Run by the Roscioli family. Another place where you get a good mix of locals with the tourists. Good wood-fired artisan pizzas and other goodies. A favorite with me because they have Brunello by the glass!!! Reservations needed. And, for dessert, just walk down the block to Carapina for small-batch artisan gelato.

All 3 of these have website you may visit to get an idea of what they have and how to make reservations.

Hotel Sant Angelo is just across the river down the street from the Vatican. We stayed here in 2914, and will be staying here one night post cruise this May. Good location. Good Price.

There's a restaurant around the corner LaFrancescana, that was awesome and we plan to visit again. House Wine is always the way to go one Rome.

They have a private taxi they can setup on the website when booking. Used last time and it was perfectly easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hotel Sant Angelo is just across the river down the street from the Vatican. We stayed here in 2914, and will be staying here one night post cruise this May. Good location. Good Price.

There's a restaurant around the corner LaFrancescana, that was awesome and we plan to visit again. House Wine is always the way to go one Rome.

They have a private taxi they can setup on the website when booking. Used last time and it was perfectly easy.

Just keep in mind this location is not "the center of Rome" which the OP asked about.

It is not technically the center of Rome, but we walked to the Colosseum in 20 minutes because Rome is about a mile and 1/2 long.

You must be speedy walkers then, because Google Maps lists the walking time for the two given routes to the Colosseum as 33 and 39 minutes. (And I generally find their times to be somewhat on the fast side versus my actual experience....):cool:

1.6 miles. So maybe 25 minutes since we were moving to make our Colosseum timeline and not strolling with the scenery on the way down.

But I withdraw my suggestion, it's a shady hotel that's crazy-far away from Rome. Thanks for saving future readers from making the same mistake as I did.

1.6 miles. So maybe 25 minutes since we were moving to make our Colosseum timeline and not strolling with the scenery on the way down.

But I withdraw my suggestion, it's a shady hotel that's crazy-far away from Rome. Thanks for saving future readers from making the same mistake as I did.

Please be reasonable. I was only trying to provide a clear picture of where the hotel is, as most posters here are not that familiar with Rome -- and if someone is looking for a hotel in the center, they may not think a 30 minute walk is desirable.

If someone wants to be near the Vatican, I'm sure this would be a great choice to consider.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions - we have managed to get hotel reservations - still looking for restaurant suggestions in central rome area.

Go back and look at my suggestions. Don't let the need for reservations scare you. Make them yourself or call your hotel and have the concierge make them for you (that is what they are there for!).

Also, look up the websites for Katie Parla and Elizabeth Minchilli - I've found them to be great resources for dining in Italy (Rome and Florence in particular).

Thanks to everyone for suggestions - we have managed to get hotel reservations - still looking for restaurant suggestions in central rome area.

Don't go into any restaurant that has pictures of the dishes on their windows

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...
We are also looking for a hotel for two days prior and one day after the cruise. We will be on the Silhouette on Oct. 23rd.

Have you read the recommendations on this thread, and the several other threads on this board on Rome Hotels? Other info, like budget, are unknown to us.

Hotel Adriano, small boutique hotel, convenient to everything. Wonderful staff , obliging and friendly. Newly renovated rooms. Many small authentic restaurants near by. We will stay again in July. Hotel happy to organise very reasonable transfers. Highly recommend.