London Tube map symbols

I booked our flights, now that I know we are flying into Heathrow, I am ready to book our hotel.

After reading most of the biggest threads on London Hotels I think I have settled on the Gloucester Road area. We can take the Picadilly line from Heathrow if we want, looks like easy access to many major sites (we will be in London 2 1/2 days pre- cruise). My other choice is the Southbank/Waterloo station area. Our cruise departs from Dover, so that isn't really affecting my decision.

My questions is about the difference between stations and how they are noted on the map. Specifically the Gloucester Road and South Kensington stations. South Kensington is marked with two connected circles - is that because you can change lines at that station? Say from Picadilly to Circle? While the same 3 lines stop at Gloucester - you can't easily switch lines at that point?

For some reason, Gloucester Road station comes up frequently in discussions of hotel areas, but not South Kensington - I was trying to figure out the differences between them and why we might want our hotel closer to one than the other.

the distances between stations on the map bears no resemblance to actual distance-it is sometimes quicker to walk aboveground as connecting to different lines in the same station can involve long walks along tunnels and steps and escalators to manage-a pain with luggage and especially if you happen to hit rush hour!

Iam sure one of the local experts will be along shortly to give detailed advice re particular stations

Yes, distances can be very misleading on that map. Gloucester Road and the Southbank are both excellent locations as a base for sightseeing.

It's quite easy to change lines at Gloucester Road and there is no reason to prefer South Kensington to it. In fact, partly because of the circles, everyone changes at South Kensington for the museums so that station is often very very busy.

There are more hotels around Gloucester Road than directly around South Kensington, which is probably why it comes up more in discussions, although they're not far apart at all.

Yes, distances can be very misleading on that map. Gloucester Road and the Southbank are both excellent locations as a base for sightseeing.

It's quite easy to change lines at Gloucester Road and there is no reason to prefer South Kensington to it. In fact, partly because of the circles, everyone changes at South Kensington for the museums so that station is often very very busy.

There are more hotels around Gloucester Road than directly around South Kensington, which is probably why it comes up more in discussions, although they're not far apart at all.

Thank you, as of now I have booked in the Waterloo area (fully refundable) the Hampton by Hilton London Waterloo. I decided that after an overnight flight, the six of us were not going to want to be hauling luggage up and down stairs and would probably appreciate a private transfer. Still time to change my mind though ;)

Thank you, as of now I have booked in the Waterloo area (fully refundable) the Hampton by Hilton London Waterloo. I decided that after an overnight flight, the six of us were not going to want to be hauling luggage up and down stairs and would probably appreciate a private transfer. Still time to change my mind though ;)[/quote

I have stayed in the Waterloo area at the Premier Inn Waterloo and Park Plaza Westminster, Great area for HOHO, Westminster bridge, Parliament, Big Ben, London Eye, Westminster Abbey, Thamas River, tub, Waterloo train station, regular bus, pubs, restaurants.

I have used http://www.justairport.com, a private car service from/to LHR and London hotels, use hotel's postal code to get a quote.

My questions is about the difference between stations and how they are noted on the map. Specifically the Gloucester Road and South Kensington stations. South Kensington is marked with two connected circles - is that because you can change lines at that station? Say from Picadilly to Circle? While the same 3 lines stop at Gloucester - you can't easily switch lines at that point?
This is slightly complex.

At Gloucester Road, eastbound Circle Line and District Line trains use the same platform, so you can freely change between them without difficulty. Westbound Circle Line trains use a different platform from westbound District Line trains, so this is not a good place to change between them. However, there is a simple cross-platform change between the westbound Circle Line and the eastbound trains.

The Piccadilly Line at Gloucester Road is for most practical purposes a completely separate station. To get between a Piccadilly Line train and any other train, you have to get a lift to/from street level and then go into the Circle/District Line part of the station (although I can't off the top of my head remember whether this is all now within the same gate line boundary).

At South Kensington, eastbound Circle Line and District Line trains use the same platform, and westbound Circle Line and District Line trains use the same platform. Changing between eastbound and westbound trains is a simple cross-platform change. So for some changes, South Ken is easier than Gloucester Road.

Changing between the Circle/District Line platforms and the Piccadilly Line at South Ken is a more conventional intra-station change; IIRC there are stairs down located between the eastbound and westbound Circle/District Line platforms that take you down into the underground passageways leading to the Piccadilly Line platforms. I suspect that it is this difference that has led to South Ken getting different symbols from Gloucester Road, so as to encourage people to change to/from the Piccadilly Line there rather than at Gloucester Road.

Thank you, as of now I have booked in the Waterloo area (fully refundable) the Hampton by Hilton London Waterloo. I decided that after an overnight flight, the six of us were not going to want to be hauling luggage up and down stairs and would probably appreciate a private transfer. Still time to change my mind though ;)

I have stayed in the Waterloo area at the Premier Inn Waterloo and Park Plaza Westminster, Great area for HOHO, Westminster bridge, Parliament, Big Ben, London Eye, Westminster Abbey, Thamas River, tub, Waterloo train station, regular bus, pubs, restaurants.

I have used www.justairport.com, a private car service from/to LHR and London hotels, use hotel's postal code to get a quote.

Thank you for the confirmation on the Waterloo area! The Hampton is a bit farther from the river than some of the hotels, but we can walk:D

I will add your link to my list of car services to price out.

My DH and I are leaving on April 16 for a TA cruise ending in Southampton. I booked the Hampton in Waterloo based on the glowing reviews. We are staying 3 nights and then flying back to the US. I did book a private car service to get to Heathrow that morning. Not sure when you are traveling to London.

Gail

This is slightly complex.

At Gloucester Road, eastbound Circle Line and District Line trains use the same platform, so you can freely change between them without difficulty. Westbound Circle Line trains use a different platform from westbound District Line trains, so this is not a good place to change between them. However, there is a simple cross-platform change between the westbound Circle Line and the eastbound trains.

The Piccadilly Line at Gloucester Road is for most practical purposes a completely separate station. To get between a Piccadilly Line train and any other train, you have to get a lift to/from street level and then go into the Circle/District Line part of the station (although I can't off the top of my head remember whether this is all now within the same gate line boundary).

At South Kensington, eastbound Circle Line and District Line trains use the same platform, and westbound Circle Line and District Line trains use the same platform. Changing between eastbound and westbound trains is a simple cross-platform change. So for some changes, South Ken is easier than Gloucester Road.

Changing between the Circle/District Line platforms and the Piccadilly Line at South Ken is a more conventional intra-station change; IIRC there are stairs down located between the eastbound and westbound Circle/District Line platforms that take you down into the underground passageways leading to the Piccadilly Line platforms. I suspect that it is this difference that has led to South Ken getting different symbols from Gloucester Road, so as to encourage people to change to/from the Piccadilly Line there rather than at Gloucester Road.

Thank you for the complete explanation! It is helpful to understand the intent of the markings - even if reality is slightly more complicated. ;)

My DH and I are leaving on April 16 for a TA cruise ending in Southampton. I booked the Hampton in Waterloo based on the glowing reviews. We are staying 3 nights and then flying back to the US. I did book a private car service to get to Heathrow that morning. Not sure when you are traveling to London.

Gail

August 9th - I actually have two hotels booked right now, the Hampton and the Park Plaza County Hall. I discovered the Hampton does not have refrigerators in the rooms and we have medication that needs to be kept cold. Trying to decide if that is a deal breaker for us.

Just to add to Globalisers comprehensive reply, access to the Piccadilly line at South Kensington is via several flights of stairs - there are no lifts. South Kensington can also be very crowded - especially in the school holidays when families visit the museums.

If you need to change between Piccadilly line and District line when coming from Heathrow, always do it at Hammersmith or Barons Court - it is a simple cross platform change. The train indicators at Hammersmith are much better if you are unsure as to what you are doing - Barons Court station is still rather low-tech..

August 9th - I actually have two hotels booked right now, the Hampton and the Park Plaza County Hall. I discovered the Hampton does not have refrigerators in the rooms and we have medication that needs to be kept cold. Trying to decide if that is a deal breaker for us.

We use frio refrigerator packs for my husbands medication which keeps content cool for several days

That should widen your choice of suitable hotel

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The problem with the London Underground is that, like the streets above, it was not conceived as one great plan. The world's first ever underground train line opened in 1863 (Yes it was pulled by steam engines) between Paddington and The City. After that it grew, bit by bit; many of the lines, which were constructed by private companies for commuters. did not even connect with each other. It wasn't until WW1 that all the lines except that original one, were merged into a single company. The famous maps, designed by Harry Beck, were introduced in the mid 30s and it wasn't until 1948 that the whole system was nationalised.

After that, it went into a long decline, with roads taking the brunt of the traffic. With no investment the whole system became unreliable and at times (no air con anywhere) pretty unpleasant. Then, in the 70s, it began a renaissance, culminating in the newest state-of-the-art Elisabeth Line Stretching over 60 miles from Reading and Heathrow in the west across to Shenfield and Abbey Wood in the east. Due to open next year.

We use frio refrigerator packs for my husbands medication which keeps content cool for several days

That should widen your choice of suitable hotel

Yes, we do use them when actually travelling, on the plane, train, automobile etc. But I prefer to have the ease of the fridge once we are staying put for several days. We were very happy to have discovered them!

The problem with the London Underground is that, like the streets above, it was not conceived as one great plan. The world's first ever underground train line opened in 1863 (Yes it was pulled by steam engines) between Paddington and The City. After that it grew, bit by bit; many of the lines, which were constructed by private companies for commuters. did not even connect with each other. It wasn't until WW1 that all the lines except that original one, were merged into a single company. The famous maps, designed by Harry Beck, were introduced in the mid 30s and it wasn't until 1948 that the whole system was nationalised.

After that, it went into a long decline, with roads taking the brunt of the traffic. With no investment the whole system became unreliable and at times (no air con anywhere) pretty unpleasant. Then, in the 70s, it began a renaissance, culminating in the newest state-of-the-art Elisabeth Line Stretching over 60 miles from Reading and Heathrow in the west across to Shenfield and Abbey Wood in the east. Due to open next year.

Thank you! Very interesting history - I love learning as much as I can about places we will visit. I am ready to order my guide books for Great Britain, London and Edinburgh :D

• 3 weeks later...

You might find this map interesting - http://content.tfl.gov.uk/walking-tube-map-zones-1-3.pdf - it shows the relative walking time between each station on the more central tube stations, so you can see that distance on the map does not always equate to distance in "real life"!

Also, you'll be pleased to hear that the Metropolitan, Circle, Districe and Hammersmith & City lines are now air conditioned! Woohoo!

https://tfl.gov.uk/maps They now have a really good explanation on the icons on their maps. It'll explain which stations have steps and which don't and other important things.

Having stayed a week across from the Gloucester Road Tube Station, I'd recommend it over staying closer to So. Kensington. Although Gloucester has the stairs, I thought it was easier to catch a variety of trains there compared to So. Kensington which is super close. From what I remember, you could easily walk to it, but once you're heading to the tube, there are these super long tunnels to get to the trains. Felt like we were walking for a mile. Or maybe I was just exhausted at that point. ;)

The long tunnels are to/from the museums, which is why a lot of tourists are at South Kensington. In particular they take you under a very busy main road.

There are 'normal' entrances right at the tube station if you prefer a surface route :)

Oh! Thank you. We clearly missed those!

• 2 weeks later...

Transport in central London is fully integrated so you can swap between buses and tube.

I would seriously consider the normal red London buses or even just walk.

There are some amazing bus routes that pass many of the key sights in one trip. There are many apps that can help route planning such as City Mapper.

London is very compact and you can see lots on a short walk.

I would only use the tube if I had too.

Also, the district, circle lines take a long time and central line is crowded.