Taking liquor/wine onto Independence of the Seas at Southampton

When we sailed Celebrity out of Southampton a few years ago, we carried practically the entire wine department of a grocery store onto the ship and nobody much seemed to care or notice as we passed through security. Does RCL take the same perspective on this or will our treats be confiscated, as they would be in Florida?

When we sailed Celebrity out of Southampton a few years ago, we carried practically the entire wine department of a grocery store onto the ship and nobody much seemed to care or notice as we passed through security. Does RCL take the same perspective on this or will our treats be confiscated, as they would be in Florida?

Anyone?

We've sailed RCI out of Southampton.

IIRC we ........errrr accidentally ........ packed two bottles of wine in our checked cases and another two in our carry-on ;)

But RCI do take their two of wine & no other alcohol seriously, and certainly the carry-on is screened both at embarkation and ports-of-call..

If you plan to circumvent the rules I suggest that you leave stuff in its original bottles (you weren't smuggling, you'd misunderstood the rules), that you put it in checked luggage for embarkation, and that you don't take more than your home customs limit cos if it's confiscated on the ship & returned to you at the end of the cruise you'll have to drink it all on the transfer to the airport (bottoms-up :whiskey-glass:) or pour it down a drain - or a tramp :D

JB :)

IIRC we ........errrr accidentally ........ packed two bottles of wine in our checked cases and another two in our carry-on ;)

But RCI do take their two of wine & no other alcohol seriously, and certainly the carry-on is screened both at embarkation and ports-of-call..

If you plan to circumvent the rules I suggest that you leave stuff in its original bottles (you weren't smuggling, you'd misunderstood the rules), that you put it in checked luggage for embarkation, and that you don't take more than your home customs limit cos if it's confiscated on the ship & returned to you at the end of the cruise you'll have to drink it all on the transfer to the airport (bottoms-up :whiskey-glass:) or pour it down a drain - or a tramp :D

Thanks. On Celebrity, we had 8 bottles of champagne, a bottle of vodka and a bottle of Baileys. I could never drink all that between Southampton and the airport! :)

IIRC we ........errrr accidentally ........ packed two bottles of wine in our checked cases and another two in our carry-on ... JB :)

Hope it's ok to chime in with a similar question re wine... directed to specifically to JB: we are arriving 1 day early to our Southampton port for a Celebrity cruise in July. We have a private car service at Heathrow to downtown London then a shared private ride with 2 other couples from London to Southampton the next day and, finally, an overnight in Southampton at the Holiday Inn Herbert Walker before our cruise begins. We are looking to take 2 bottles of white wine onboard. Where would you suggest is the best place to obtain these bottles - Heathrow, London, Southampton, somewhere along the way on one of these rides? If Southampton, can you recommend a place where we can walk to from Holiday Inn?

Thanks.

Hope it's ok to chime in with a similar question re wine... directed to specifically to JB: we are arriving 1 day early to our Southampton port for a Celebrity cruise in July. We have a private car service at Heathrow to downtown London then a shared private ride with 2 other couples from London to Southampton the next day and, finally, an overnight in Southampton at the Holiday Inn Herbert Walker before our cruise begins. We are looking to take 2 bottles of white wine onboard. Where would you suggest is the best place to obtain these bottles - Heathrow, London, Southampton, somewhere along the way on one of these rides? If Southampton, can you recommend a place where we can walk to from Holiday Inn?

Thanks.

I can't really help on the London question, but in Southampton, you are less than 10 minutes walk to Marks and Spencer's in the Westquay Shopping Centre, which has a great selection. If you don't want to walk as far as that, there is a convenience store under the Premier Inn, West Quay about 5 minutes from the Holliday Inn.

The Co-op "Welcome" convenience store, groundfloor of Premier Inn, in Harbour Parade is closest, 4 mins from HI..

The M&S store in the large West Quay Mall is just 4minutes beyond "23 Harbour Parade" on the map, tends toward goodquality but still sensible money.

Cheapest will probably be ASDA (think Walmart) in PortlandTerrace, a further 4 mins (rear entrance is easiest, via elevator in Marlandsmulti-storey carpark opposite the coach station, "20 Harbour Parade"on the map) .

Those are all grocery stores.

Without a doubt the best range of wines and champagnes inwalking distance are at Majestic Wine Store, opposite the rail station (WesternEsplanade" on the map), 15 mins from HI.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/50.8998856,-1.4089326/Premier+Inn+Southampton+West+Quay,+Southampton/50.9034489,-1.4082602/50.9058196,-1.4090167/50.906782,-1.4130516/@50.9024702,-1.4133386,16z/data=!4m12!4m11!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x487476b326dce843:0x5b148d8f44ed4023!2m2!1d-1.4081072!2d50.9019615!1m0!1m0!1m0!3e2

JB

Ah, thanks everyone. Will probably want to pick up a gallon of distilled water & a 12 pack of diet "anything but coke" cans, too, so I imagine a grocery store will be a good choice.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

You're unlikely to find distilled water in a supermarket. Is this for a medical thing? You would probably need to go to a car parts supplier like Halfords (there's one on Harbour Parade, not far from the port.)

If it's for drinking, the supermarket will have a good selection from posh and expensive to plain and cheap.

You're unlikely to find distilled water in a supermarket. Is this for a medical thing? You would probably need to go to a car parts supplier like Halfords (there's one on Harbour Parade, not far from the port.)

If it's for drinking, the supermarket will have a good selection from posh and expensive to plain and cheap.

It's for a CPAP machine - yes medical. I believe Celebrity will supply once onboard but need before our cruise. Thanks for heads up!

It's for a CPAP machine - yes medical. I believe Celebrity will supply once onboard but need before our cruise. Thanks for heads up!

Halford's is a car accessory / parts store, they sell distilled water in sizes up to 5 litres (about one US gallon)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.9045026,-1.4124926,3a,75y,152.02h,77.93t/data=!3m9!1e1!3m7!1sa_zYT6MsHbYPVeGpbFZ74Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!9m2!1b1!2i40