Japanese Gardens in Victoria, BC?

My HAL cruise will call at Victoria, BC from 6pm to midnight on Saturday, May 13. I really like traditional Japanese gardens, and I'd heard that Victoria had several nice ones beyond the one in the Butchart Gardens. (Trying to see the Butchart in such a short time, with only 2 or 3 good hours of daylight, on the last day of my cruise, just seems like a recipe for disappointment.)

Googling around, I've seen references to Japanese gardens in Beacon Hill Park and in the Government House grounds, but haven't found any photos or specifics. Does anyone know of a traditional Japanese garden within taxi distance of Ogden Point that would be open on a early Saturday evening?

Neither Beacon Hill Park nor the Governors House have a Japanese garden. Hatley Castle has the best surviving Japanese garden in the Victoria area - and it's IMO superior to the one at Butchart (it's not just that the original upper garden was done by the same designer as Butchart, on a higher budget, with a greater focus on authenticity of style and the opportunity to learn from his prior two installations - but there's also another lower section by different landscape architects so it's a two-fer). Only open until 5pm for ticket sales though - unfortunately the good gardens in general have limited hours, and since they're much less famous than Butchart, don't tend to offer any extended hours on cruise days.

Esquimalt Gorge Park has been renovating their Japanese gardens - the first in the country, and the first by Isaburo Kishida before he went on to do Butchart & Hatley. Unfortunately since it was run by a Japanese family, when they were interned the place literally fell to ruin and isn't even close to it's original form. It is however the only place you could definitely visit, since there isn't a giftshop selling tickets - as long as the public park is open you can come in (daylight hours). Ballpark $20+tip cab ride from the pier, about half as far as Hatley and basically right on the same route.

Depending where you are in WA I can offer two potential alternatives for a separate visit from your cruise - Nitobe Memorial garden and tearoom on the main UBC campus in Vancouver, and Portland Japanese Garden in Washington park in PDX. I assume you already know of Seattle's Japanese Garden.

Neither Beacon Hill Park nor the Governors House have a Japanese garden. Hatley Castle has the best surviving Japanese garden in the Victoria area - and it's IMO superior to the one at Butchart (it's not just that the original upper garden was done by the same designer as Butchart, on a higher budget, with a greater focus on authenticity of style and the opportunity to learn from his prior two installations - but there's also another lower section by different landscape architects so it's a two-fer). Only open until 5pm for ticket sales though - unfortunately the good gardens in general have limited hours, and since they're much less famous than Butchart, don't tend to offer any extended hours on cruise days.

Esquimalt Gorge Park has been renovating their Japanese gardens - the first in the country, and the first by Isaburo Kishida before he went on to do Butchart & Hatley. Unfortunately since it was run by a Japanese family, when they were interned the place literally fell to ruin and isn't even close to it's original form. It is however the only place you could definitely visit, since there isn't a giftshop selling tickets - as long as the public park is open you can come in (daylight hours). Ballpark $20+tip cab ride from the pier, about half as far as Hatley and basically right on the same route.

Depending where you are in WA I can offer two potential alternatives for a separate visit from your cruise - Nitobe Memorial garden and tearoom on the main UBC campus in Vancouver, and Portland Japanese Garden in Washington park in PDX. I assume you already know of Seattle's Japanese Garden.

Thanks so much. Esquimalt Gorge Park sound like just what I was hoping for: a garden created by someone who really knew what he was doing, not subject to ticket sale hours, and free to boot. :)

It will be interesting to see what signs of disrepair/destruction remain and how the re-emergent garden incorporates both the original garden structure and any aspects of the damage that may have been kept by the restorers. Many of the fine old gardens in Japan underwent cycles of destruction and abandonment: one garden is especially noted for the rich & luxuriant moss that grew through a couple centuries of neglect.

The Nitobe Garden at UBC is at the very top of my next-to-visit list. I lived in Oregon for about ten years and visited the Portland Japanese Garden many times - I have a very special love for it. I've only been to the Seattle Garden once or twice since I moved here, which is ridiculous - I'm going to have to do something about that. :)

• 1 month later...

Hmm... We are in Seattle for day and a half, have not heard of the garden. I know we want to go to Pike Market and the Chilualy museum the library and that tall building( can t think of name). ( Not the space Needle) Maybe we should put the garden on our list as I am worried about timing for our Butchart adventure. Is the one in Seattle comparable? Thanks Cathy

Hmm... We are in Seattle for day and a half, have not heard of the garden. I know we want to go to Pike Market and the Chilualy museum the library and that tall building( can t think of name). ( Not the space Needle) Maybe we should put the garden on our list as I am worried about timing for our Butchart adventure. Is the one in Seattle comparable? Thanks Cathy

Rather than an Apples & Oranges comparison, Seattle Japanese garden vs Butchart is more of a Fuji Apple vs Fuji, Pink Lady, Granny Smith, and Pippin - at Butchart you get not just a Japanese garden but also Italian, Rose, Quarry, carousel, potentially fireworks combo. Since I see you asked about the practicality of visiting Butchart on your cruise in another thread I'll answer that there, and here just say that unless (like the OP) you are mad keen on Japanese gardens, don't waste your time doubling-up and do other stuff in Seattle instead.