How We Saw Seattle in One Day!

Here's where I saw it...

http://www.soundtransit.org/Fares-and-Passes/Link-fares?tab=3

"Day Passes cost two times the one-way fare and are good for travel on the service, date and stations printed on the ticket."

That seems to indicate unlimited travel all day, but it's not super clear.

You're right, that's very unclear. It's under the heading of "Reduced Fares," applying to seniors and disabled riders. My guess is that they missed changing this when they ended the pilot program for the day passes. But it's entirely possible I'm wrong--it does happen! :eek: Maybe somebody else who has actually managed to buy a day pass this year can tell us what's the deal?

You're right, that's very unclear. It's under the heading of "Reduced Fares," applying to seniors and disabled riders. My guess is that they missed changing this when they ended the pilot program for the day passes. But it's entirely possible I'm wrong--it does happen! :eek: Maybe somebody else who has actually managed to buy a day pass this year can tell us what's the deal?

I just got back from Seattle, cruising on the Legend June 9-16. We bought Day Passes every day while we were in Seattle before and after the cruise and never ran into any problems. The tickets will have "Day Pass" printed on them and as long as the current day is printed on them, Fare Enforcement officers won't give you any trouble.

I just got back from Seattle, cruising on the Legend June 9-16. We bought Day Passes every day while we were in Seattle before and after the cruise and never ran into any problems. The tickets will have "Day Pass" printed on them and as long as the current day is printed on them, Fare Enforcement officers won't give you any trouble.

Cool! Thank you!

So I assume there's just vending machines for the tickets and one choice is labeled "Day Pass" (at twice the single-ride fare)? Thus for seniors it's $2.00 for a Day Pass, and for other adults it's $6.00 (if needing all the way to/from Sea-Tac)?

Cool! Thank you!

So I assume there's just vending machines for the tickets and one choice is labeled "Day Pass" (at twice the single-ride fare)? Thus for seniors it's $2.00 for a Day Pass, and for other adults it's $6.00 (if needing all the way to/from Sea-Tac)?

Exactly. We stayed at the Sleep Inn SeaTac and used the train to Westlake every day. Swiped a debit card at the machine at the SeaTac station for $6.00 each morning and we were on our way. We usually only made one round trip per day, but I did make 2 full round trips the day before we sailed(had to go back to do the 9PM Underground Tour).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Stayed at Sleep Inn SEATAC Airport. The hotel shuttle took us around 9:30 AM directly to the light rail station. After a 40 minute ride (about $3 per person) into downtown Seattle to the Westlake stop (end of the line), we walked about 4 blocks downhill to the Pike Place Market. There we stayed about 2 hours, looking around and also had lunch at the Market Grill inside the shopping area. Had delicious clam chowder and grilled halibut.

Then we took a stairway down the back of the market to a lower level street where we walked left along the waterfront about 12 blocks to the Bainbridge Island ferry. At a cost of only $8 per person roundtrip, we took the roughly 35 minute ferry ride to Bainbridge. We got off for about an hour, walked uphill to the town and got some gelato ice cream, looked around a little bit and went back to the ferry for the return trip. Got some really nice photos of the Seattle skyline from the water.

Hi! A few questions about the ferry for you...

How bad is the walk to the ferry terminal? About how long did it take you? Are there seats on the ferry? Thank you!

Hi! A few questions about the ferry for you...

How bad is the walk to the ferry terminal? About how long did it take you? Are there seats on the ferry? Thank you!

From the Pike Place market you'll go down some stairs (or there's an elevator) to Alaskan Way on the waterfront, below the raised freeway. Turn left (south) and the terminal is around 10 city blocks, approximately 1/2 mile. The waterfront is level of course; you'll pass numerous restaurants and shops, the Ferris wheel, etc. before you get to the terminal.

The Bainbridge ferries hold 2500 people so of course there are many, many seats on several decks. There's also a coffee shop/cafeteria on board.

Geeko1...for real?? As if we thought we could see ALL of Seattle in one day...please... We were trying to offer some helpful info for others, and that's the only comment you could make??

Gardyloo answered the question well about the Bainbridge ferry. It took us maybe 15 minutes to walk from the Pike Place Market to where the ferry docks.

Yes, that was a bit snarky and you did a day and a half of exploring in 1 day. It was a good post. Nice it was brought forward again.

Your post said you saw Seattle in one day it's my hope that any other people reading this thread realize that there's a lot more to do in Seattle in just one day's worth

Your post said you saw Seattle in one day it's my hope that any other people reading this thread realize that there's a lot more to do in Seattle in just one day's worth

Thanks to the OP for the great answer about the ferry and this post! We decided to come to Seattle a day early and this was perfect to help us plan a full day, with the optimal order of events (not backtracking) and the idea about eating dinner at the Seattle Center cafeteria is great! Gets us excited for the buffet on the cruise lol :)

Thank you so much for posting all the info for your day in Seattle. We are staying at the Radisson at the airport for one night in early August. Hoping to get into Seattle both days as we have an evening flight to Fairbanks for a four day land tour before getting on the Miilineum in Seward.

Love the idea of Columbus tower. My DH has a fear of heights so would not be able to do the Space Needle. The tower being enclosed would make it something we can both enjoy.

Just an FYI: The Needle is fully enclosed and I hate heights and have no problem with it. Another option is Seattle's First Skyscraper, Smith Tower. Great views from there as well.

Bringing this back to the front pages in order to help others with the info we gathered about Seattle as Alaska cruising season is approaching again! :-)
Glad you did.. ! Been reading a lot, but what you did looks exactly like something we would like.. And we are definitely Sleep Inn fans.. Nothing fancy - just clean and comfy!..:)