How doable is this?

sandancer

Being cowards we don't want to rent a car at MIA (been there, done that, was terrified) so would prefer to rent from FLL where our return flight leaves from when we depart following our 2 week post cruise stay. So as far I can tell the choice is Tri-rail or shuttle (have used SAS and QLS). Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

http://www.tri-rail.com/

Tri-Rail is an economical option to get from MIA to FLL - about $5 each or less. You need to be able to handle your own luggage and the train does not run very often on weekends - check the web site for schedules when you plan to arrive.

For about $40 you can Uber between airports - taxi will be closer to $75+. Super Shuttle, American Shuttle and Go Airport charge about $30+ per person the last time I checked.

If your cruise is returning to POM you could shuttle to FLL for about $15 per person (SAS, QLS, and others) or Uber for about $40 No reason to go to MIA

Being cowards we don't want to rent a car at MIA (been there, done that, was terrified) so would prefer to rent from FLL where our return flight leaves from when we depart following our 2 week post cruise stay. So as far I can tell the choice is Tri-rail or shuttle (have used SAS and QLS). Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

To be blunt, that makes absolutely no sense at all.

You do know that in order to get to Tri-Rail in Miami you have to go to the MIA Car Rental Facility and then go downstairs?

If you were getting off the ship and wanted to rent a car you could get on the rental car shuttle and ride free to the MIA Rental Car Shuttle, but since you want to ride the TriRail you will have to pay $27 for a taxi to get to the same place. Now...If the Car Rental Facility at MIA terrifies you, I can only imagine the horror you will experience from some of the characters that get on and off the TriRail and there are no police officers, security guards or even a porter on the train to protect you from them. Now I'm not saying the TriRail is dangerous to ride, I'm just talking about what horrifies you.

Let me offer a third option...Take a taxi to one of the Downtown Miami car rental locations (about $12-$15) and pick up a rental car there where you will save a bunch of money on taxes, fees and concessions that are tacked on at airport locations. For a two week rental you will pay an extra $282.00 in taxes and fees at MIA compared to a non-airport location in Miami. At FLL you will pay an extra $187.00 in taxes and fees compared to a Ft Lauderdale non-airport location on the same two week rental. I ran some faux two week rental estimates for a full size car from April 10-24, 2017, which is the absolute peak of high season in South Florida, so the prices will be extremely high, but I got these comparisons. In reality, it would save you a lot of money to take Uber or even a taxi to a car rental location in Broward County.

MIA - $1,649.96 - Taxes and Fees - $357.96

Miami - $589.08 - Taxes and Fees - $76.06

FLL - $1,063.22 - Taxes and Fees $245.77

Ft Lauderdale - $382.13 - Taxes and Fees $59.15

What terrifies me is unnecessarily paying high prices and high taxes and fees!

I am confused, what did it terrify you to rent a car from MIA?

As for what you should do, I agree with Lido, take an Uber to a near by car rental facility. You could probably find one that allows you to return to FLL but pick up from an off-airport site.

How many people are you? Is Uber not an option?

It's not renting from MIA that is the problem. It's the driving around Miami.

Then you need to take Uber to 25 Pembroke Rd., Hallandale, FL 33009 to Enterprise and rent a car. I would also suggest you bring your own GPS.

Shuttle from POM straight to FLL for about $15 each, or Uber for about $40 - skip MIA and driving in Miami.

Shuttle from POM straight to FLL for about $15 each, or Uber for about $40 - skip MIA and driving in Miami.

Perhaps you didn't catch the part where they are staying for 2 weeks after their cruise and where I posted real dollar comparisons between FLL and a non-airport car rent locations? Now the quotes below are for April when it is peak, peak season, but it's a bad idea to rent from FLL as opposed to a non-airport location...

FLL - $1,063.22 - Taxes and Fees $245.77

Ft Lauderdale - $382.13 - Taxes and Fees $59.15

Well you can take a place in Broward or use one of the downtown locations. You will barely be on the street, maybe for 3-5 mins and then its a straight drive on the highway to the Broward area.