Do it yourself Alaska cruisetour

SnowBird Cruzer

Here is what our plans are so far. We are doing a Northbound cruise so we will be starting out in Seward.

One night in Seward

Debark and take Kenai Fjords boat trip with Major Marine. Overnight in Seward. (You can take the boat and train to Anchorage on the same day but it makes for a really long day as the train gets into Anchorage around 10 PM.)

Alaska Sea Life Center, explore Seward and train to Anchorage

Two nights in Anchorage

Visit Anchorage museum, not sure what else for the day, pick up rental car when we checkout of the hotel.

Two nights Denail

Two nights Fairbanks

One night Talkeetna

One night Whittier (not sure about adding that - it is getting to be a lot of nights).

I'm finding that it takes longer researching and making arrangements for Alaska than for other trips I've planned. There are small hotels and cabins that don't do reservations through the big booking websites like Trip Advisor and sometimes that don't even do reservations on line. And so many are smaller so one may have to check more than one to find one with availability (and they have fewer reviews).

So, after doing my research, I'm 85% sure this will be our cruise tour. There are still a few gaps to fill in, but I have time.

• Sunday Arrive Anchorage
    • I have seen nonstop flights from Chicago arrive noonish. This would give us time for some sightseeing in Anchorage on Sunday
    • Things to see include Tony Knowles Trail either walk or rent bikes
    • Visit the Alaska Museum (especially if it's rainy)

[*]Monday

• more Anchorage sightseeing in morning?
    • Make our way to Talkeetna for lunch at Talkeetna Roadhouse
    • maybe seen sites in Talkeetna, if we don't do Anchorage. (Again, may depend on weather)
    • Arrive Denali in late afternoon or evening

[*]Tuesday, Wednesday (things to do both days, weather depending)

• go on guided bus tour in Denali (8 hours)
    • whitewater rafting
    • hike, bike, kayak on guided tour
    • other stuff

[*]Thursday, leaving Denali this day

• Hike to Mount Healy overlook. This sounds like a great hike for the day we leave Denali, and a great way to say Farewell!
    • Return to Anchorage.
      • Depending on above, may have time for more stuff
      • Return Rental car, get ready for cruise

[*]Friday

• Train to Seward at 6:45am (Ugh!)
    • Arrive Seward around 11:05-11:15, luggage already going to ship
    • check in to ship and then sight see?
    • or sight see and then check in to ship?
      • Alaska Sealife Center Aquarium?
      • Downtown on free shuttle buses (I've never left the ship after checking in. This could be a first!)
      • Some other excursion like whale watching,?

So that's my pre cruise tour. There are some gaps to fill in, of course. I know I'm anal, but not THAT anal. Plus I can't make the reservations this early.

My DD and her hubby are also planning a DIY pre-cruise tour, and they'll probably be cruising a different time from us, and they have a general idea of:

• Flying in to Fairbanks
  • renting a car and working their way down to Denali, Talkeetna, Anchorage
  • and then spending a day or more in Seward before the cruise.

Just remember, everyone, do whatever floats your boat.

And keep posting what your DIY cruisetours are. So that way, everyone gets an idea of what is possible.

PS. I think my DIY will easily come in at less than half the cost of the cruise line cruise tour. With those savings I can afford a balcony room instead of a oceanview. And I can do some more excursions.

• Like 1

Sounds good "Snowbird cruiser" ! Things are starting to make sense to me too but I'm planning for 2018.

Originally I wanted to fly into Fairbanks but after some research Anchorage seems to be better for car rental & return.

Still on the planning board for us[emoji6]. It's exciting!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

[*]Arrive Denali in late afternoon or evening

[*]Tuesday, Wednesday (things to do both days, weather depending)

• go on guided bus tour in Denali (8 hours)
  • whitewater rafting
  • hike, bike, kayak on guided tour
  • other stuff

[*]Thursday, leaving Denali this day

For independent visitors, I never recommend the triple cost "guided bus tour" in Denali. Significant plus is to get to at least Eielson. If you haven't I'd suggest you educate yourself on the details of distances and bus details. http://www.nps.gov/dena http://www.reservedenali.com

For independent visitors, I never recommend the triple cost "guided bus tour" in Denali. Significant plus is to get to at least Eielson. If you haven't I'd suggest you educate yourself on the details of distances and bus details. http://www.nps.gov/dena http://www.reservedenali.com

I know what you are saying. I'll be doing more research as time goes on.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

I know what you are saying. I'll be doing more research as time goes on.

Another vote for a shuttle to Eielson Visitor Center instead of the Tundra Wilderness Tour.

The shuttle goes to Mile 66 and the VC is a great destination in itself ....awesome views if the mtn is out, ranger led walks, trails, exhibits, running water, flush toilets. I like to take the 8-9am bus (not an early riser) so the VC is a comfortable convenient stop to have my sack lunch.

While you're at Denali, stop by for the free sled dog demo. You can take a free shuttle bus there or walk the trail.

https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/sled-dog-demonstrations.htm

The Park newsletter has tons of great info. I included a link in my HELPFUL RESOURCES thread.

Just outside of Anchorage be sure to make a quick stop at the Eklutna Spirit Houses and Orthodox Church. http://eklutnahistoricalpark.org/

• Like 1

Hi SnowBird! We are DIY-ing our 6 day pre-cruise land tour this July. I've received so much planning help both here on these boards and on TripAdvisor (a wealth of info for the Alaska interior, especially). If you send me back your email, I'd be happy to pass along our spreadsheets and research. We are sailing on Celebrity, and are saving around $2700 doing the land tour ourselves. Even more importantly to us, we are able to structure our time to our interests!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would greatly appreciate if you would send me your spreadsheets and research for DIY Alaska. My email is memparrot@yahoo.com. We are going on a cruise the end of May and will be doing land portion first week of June.

Edited by memparrot

After months of planning and research (and help from BudgetQueen and others on this board) here is our final itinerary. I have reservations at all the hotels, booked flightseeing, shuttle into Denali, train to Whittier and dinner reservations at 7 Glacier. Yes, I had to sell my first born to pay for this trip.

Arrive Anchorage stay overnight

Day one - drive to Matanuska Glacier, hike on glacier and stay overnight

Day two- drive to Denali. Overnight in Denali

Day three - Denali . Booked 8 hour shuttle bus tour to Eielsen

Day four - Drive to Talkeetna. Flight over Denali with glacier landing. Overnight in Talkeetna

Day five- drive to Girdwood and enjoy the sights along the way. Explore the area. Dine at 7 Glaciers at the

Alyeska Resort, which includes a free ride up the tram. Overnight in Girdwood (not at the Alyeska lol)

Day six - drive to Seward. Exit Glacier. Museum if time. Overnight in Seward

Day seven - Kenai Cruise 6 hour if the seas aren't too rough. (we did this before and I was nauseous most of the trip even after taking 1/2 Bonine.) Drive back to Anchorage

Day eight - Round trip flight to Katmai National Park, Overnight in Anchorage

Day nine- train to Whittier. If we have time and the weather is good 26 Glacier cruse. Leave on the Coral Princess

Day ten and eleven - rest up during scenic cruising.

Day twelve - car rental at Skagway

Day thirteen - Harv and Marv, Mendenhall, tram if the weather is good

Day fourteen - Island Wings Misty Fjords and Glacier flight

Day fifteen - more scenic cruising on the way to Vancouver

Day sixteen - overnight in Vancouver

Day seventeen - overnight in Vancouver

Day eighteen - Home sweet home!

Hotels and car rental up there sure cost a lot.

The best prices on rental cars for Alaska are gotten by booking early, like in October. And for hotels, the major booking sites are mostly limited to Anchorage and Fairbanks hotels. Check the local chamber of commerce sites for more lodging options. Here's for the Denali area: http://www.a1cms.com/_dcc/accommodations/

The best prices on rental cars for Alaska are gotten by booking early, like in October. And for hotels, the major booking sites are mostly limited to Anchorage and Fairbanks hotels. Check the local chamber of commerce sites for more lodging options. Here's for the Denali area: http://www.a1cms.com/_dcc/accommodations/

That's good info thanks

We got a travel brochure from Seward. It's too bad that we can't spend more time there on this cruise. I don't see it happening. But that's the way it goes, we can't see everything.

But it does bring up a new opportunity. We could either not get on the ship right away after the train arrives and then go into town for awhile, go to the Aquarium, etc, or we could process our embarkation paperwork, get our SeaPass etc, and then get off the ship to go into town. We've never gotten onboard and then left the ship for awhile. Anybody out there done that? Any tips you could share?

Since your luggage will be delivered to your room, why waste time going to the ship? There are Kenai cruises timed to match the cruiseline schedule, or take a shuttle to exit glacier for a hike, or wander around the harbor to enjoy the fishing charter activities then wander a.ong the waterfront path to look for otters playing offshore. Or, if its crappy weather a cab to the Sealife Center is less than $10 or tahe the free shuttle.

p.s. the seward visitor guide can be dowloaded.

https://issuu.com/seward.com/docs/sdg16web

Edited by mapleleaves

• 4 weeks later...

RCCL announced their 2018 itineraries yesterday and at 7pm I booked us for August 31 departing Seward. Now that that minor detail is done, I can really begin to focus. But first, I have a road trip to Yellowstone and some other parks this Summer. And a cruise with my DS and his wife next February.

Following! Just booked AK for June 2018 and planning on DIY to Denali the week before.

Given that we areBrits on the wrong side of the road (!) will The roads be clear or do we need SUV in June? Thanks

We plan on taking the train down to Seward

Following! Just booked AK for June 2018 and planning on DIY to Denali the week before.

Given that we areBrits on the wrong side of the road (!) will The roads be clear or do we need SUV in June? Thanks

We plan on taking the train down to Seward

No need for an SUV, unless you plan on driving on gravel roads and then you might have a problem with the rental company because most of them don't allow that. I like driving an SUV because I like riding higher up, but I won't pay the price differential when I travel.

I either rent the cheapest economy car I can find, or a motorhome, depending on how much time I have. ( btw, if you're travelling in 2018, watch the Enterprise Rental Car web site starting this July. You can usually get a weekly rental for about $150 at the Int'l Airport Drive office)

Thanks for the tip.

What hotel would you recommend in anchorage?

What hotel in Denali?

Would you suggest also spending a night in Talkeetna en route?

What Hotel at end close to railway station for that early start?

Do the train tickets ever go on discount?

So many questions! Thanks

We got a travel brochure from Seward. It's too bad that we can't spend more time there on this cruise. I don't see it happening. But that's the way it goes, we can't see everything.

But it does bring up a new opportunity. We could either not get on the ship right away after the train arrives and then go into town for awhile, go to the Aquarium, etc, or we could process our embarkation paperwork, get our SeaPass etc, and then get off the ship to go into town. We've never gotten onboard and then left the ship for awhile. Anybody out there done that? Any tips you could share?

Late reply- but, I never recommend rushing to get on a ship in Seward. The area is a gem to take advantage of. I'm not on any ship here prior to 6p. Frequently I'm on Kenai Fjords boat tours, but plenty to see and do, as you have found. You have an excellent opportunity if you wish to take advantage of it. :)

Thanks for the tip.

What hotel would you recommend in anchorage?

What hotel in Denali?

Would you suggest also spending a night in Talkeetna en route?

Do the train tickets ever go on discount?

I always rent the cheapest economy car I can find. You have made some wrong assumptions about driving. It is simple well maintained paved roads. Mostly straight expansive views ahead. :)

Any of the downtown Anchorage hotels are "close" to the RR station. There are multiple lodging choices.

The only discounts I see with the trains, are with the purchased coupon books. This is really only usable if you are spending several days there, as the coupons aren't good, for most cruise ship days.

taking a look at the tripadvisor lodging site for the areas, will give you lists of lodgings.

Thanks for the tip.

What hotel would you recommend in anchorage? The Ship Creek Comfort Inn is closest to the rail depot. We like the Clarion Suites and they offer a shuttle. The Anchorage Grand or the Hilton are also close.

What hotel in Denali? The list is here: http://www.a1cms.com/_dcc/accommodations/

Would you suggest also spending a night in Talkeetna en route? Only if you have activities planned here.

Do the train tickets ever go on discount? Not really, other than some early or late season specials. The summer visitor season is short so they can't really afford to discount prices.

Some answers above in red.

• Like 1

Late reply- but, I never recommend rushing to get on a ship in Seward. The area is a gem to take advantage of. I'm not on any ship here prior to 6p. Frequently I'm on Kenai Fjords boat tours, but plenty to see and do, as you have found. You have an excellent opportunity if you wish to take advantage of it. :)

Ok, well, color me unaware! I hadn't even noticed that the cruise doesn't depart until 8pm from Seward! We will definitely be doing something in Seward now! Aquarium, Kenai Fjords, downtown? Hmm what to do

We'll also be doing a DIY land tour this June after our Vancouver-to-Whittier cruise and would love any feedback on our tentative plans:

CRUISE ITINERARY

6/21 - KETCHIKAN

We're trying to decide between these two flightseeing tours:

• Taquan Air's Classic Misty Fjords Flightseeing
  • Alaska Seaplane Tours' bear-viewing tour (Unfortunately, we'll be there too early for salmon-spawning season but we may be able to spot bears digging for clams, grazing, etc. And plan on returning to Alaska at some point to visit Anan Creek, Admiralty Island, etc.)

Has anyone done either?

West Rock Alaska Tours offers a Coastal Wildlife Cruise that sounds interesting, but they haven't responded to my emails or voicemails.

6/22 - JUNEAU

Does anyone have experience with any of these whale-watching tours? We're leaning toward Gastineau's Photo Safari because of the smaller group size.

In the evening, we'll go on the Taku Lodge Feast & Five Glacier Discovery Tour.

6/23 - CRUISING GLACIER BAY

6/24 - SKAGWAY

We're planning to rent a car and drive up to Emerald Lake.

6/25 - CRUISING HUBBARD GLACIER

POST-CRUISE LAND ITINERARY

We'll be renting a car in Whittier on 6/26 and dropping it off in Fairbanks on 7/1.

6/26 - GIRDWOOD/SEWARD

• Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center
  • Alyeska Tramway
  • Alaska Sealife Center
  • Exit Glacier

(We were originally planning to take a Prince William Sound cruise but wondered if we might be glaciered out by this point?)

6/27 - KENAI FJORDS CRUISE

Has anyone done either of these?

6/28 - TALKEETNA

We'll be taking a flightseeing/glacier landing tour with K2 Aviation. K2 said that the yellow and the green routes are the most popular. The green route circles around Mt. McKinley, whereas the yellow route stays on the western end. Is it worth the extra $50 to go around Mt. McKinley?

6/29 & 6/30 - DENALI

We'll have two full days in Denali. On our first day, we're planning to take one of the following:

Has anyone taken either of these? Any suggestions for Day 2 in Denali?

Thank you! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Diana

Edited by dcinmb

We'll also be doing a DIY land tour this June after our Vancouver-to-Whittier cruise and would love any feedback on our tentative plans:

6/29 & 6/30 - DENALI

We'll have two full days in Denali. On our first day, we're planning to take one of the following:

Diana

I did the Kantishna Experience Tour in 2012. Loved it. My review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1683604&highlight=kantishna

CRUISE ITINERARY

6/21 - KETCHIKAN

We're trying to decide between these two flightseeing tours:

• Taquan Air's Classic Misty Fjords Flightseeing
  • Alaska Seaplane Tours' bear-viewing tour (Unfortunately, we'll be there too early for salmon-spawning season but we may be able to spot bears digging for clams, grazing, etc. And plan on returning to Alaska at some point to visit Anan Creek, Admiralty Island, etc.)

Has anyone done either?

West Rock Alaska Tours offers a Coastal Wildlife Cruise that sounds interesting, but they haven't responded to my emails or voicemails.

6/22 - JUNEAU

Does anyone have experience with any of these whale-watching tours? We're leaning toward Gastineau's Photo Safari because of the smaller group size.

In the evening, we'll go on the Taku Lodge Feast & Five Glacier Discovery Tour.

6/23 - CRUISING GLACIER BAY

6/24 - SKAGWAY

We're planning to rent a car and drive up to Emerald Lake.

6/25 - CRUISING HUBBARD GLACIER

POST-CRUISE LAND ITINERARY

We'll be renting a car in Whittier on 6/26 and dropping it off in Fairbanks on 7/1.

6/26 - GIRDWOOD/SEWARD

• Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center
  • Alyeska Tramway
  • Alaska Sealife Center
  • Exit Glacier

(We were originally planning to take a Prince William Sound cruise but wondered if we might be glaciered out by this point?)

6/27 - KENAI FJORDS CRUISE

Has anyone done either of these?

6/28 - TALKEETNA

We'll be taking a flightseeing/glacier landing tour with K2 Aviation. K2 said that the yellow and the green routes are the most popular. The green route circles around Mt. McKinley, whereas the yellow route stays on the western end. Is it worth the extra $50 to go around Mt. McKinley?

6/29 & 6/30 - DENALI

Diana

I think you'll get more responses if you start your own thread. You're kinda buried at the end of a long post. People tend to ignore long posts after awhile ..... I opened this by accident.

I did the Kantishna Experience Tour in 2012. Loved it. My review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1683604&highlight=kantishna

Thanks for your thorough, insightful review, portiemom. The Kantishna Experience Tour and the

Denali Backcountry Adventure tour seem pretty similar but it sounds like the latter wasn't around back in 2012?

I think you'll get more responses if you start your own thread. You're kinda buried at the end of a long post. People tend to ignore long posts after awhile ..... I opened this by accident.

Thanks, mapleleaves. I'll start a new thread.