5-5.5 hours in Rome with a 3 year old

DispatchJess

My husband & I will be on the inaugural sailing of the Horizon in April 2018 and will also have our then 3 year old with us. I have been back and forth about going out on our own via train from Civitavecchia or doing the excursion of Rome On Your Own through Carnival via a private train. Right now, we're heavily leaning towards the Carnival excursion for the sole purpose that if we decide to leave our son on board with the kids camp, we know they can reach us in case of an emergency and we can get back immediately (minus travel time). I have researched the boards on here and just can't seem to find what I'm looking for in regards to touring with a little one or with the time capacity on this excursion.

Ā 

The 3 things we want to see are St. Peter's Square at the Vatican (our first stop possibly otherwise we'd hit the Coliseum to go inside), the Coliseum, and Trevi Fountain. Massive bonus would be the Spanish Steps but I want to have a relatively enjoyable day and not running just for the sake of a picture. Plus a chance to sit down at a cafe and have a decent lunch. We know if we don't have our son, we can move quicker (this is the only port we wouldn't bring him with us on) and if we do, obviously we'll be at a slower pace with the stroller and breaks for him which we're totally fine with.

Ā 

So.... 5 hours in Rome... what would you do? Are our stops possible? I am planning in advance because I also want to research the other ports plus work on our Vista Caribbean cruise in September. Thank you!

If your stroller has a rain hood and is well-sprung, you'll be ahead of the game if you're planning to take it ashore. There are lots of cobbled areas in Rome, and April can have some spring showers.

Ā 

I think your son will find Rome pretty boring and tiring at three, and I'd leave him in the kids' club that day if it were me, and take the ship's excursion, but others might see it differently.

If your stroller has a rain hood and is well-sprung, you'll be ahead of the game if you're planning to take it ashore. There are lots of cobbled areas in Rome, and April can have some spring showers.

Ā 

I think your son will find Rome pretty boring and tiring at three, and I'd leave him in the kids' club that day if it were me, and take the ship's excursion, but others might see it differently.

Ā 

Excellent point with the buggy/stroller!

Ok, the kid might get bored, but there is always Italian ice cream to make things interesting again. šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦

Normally I'd say bring your child with you into port but I think all will be fine if you don't

Ā 

My suggestion is to book the best most inclusive tour that the ship offers. It wil cost you but if you can get a good varied day of it it's worth it

Ā 

I would not diy in this case