Southampton to Heathrow for 1:50pm EU flight. Enough time for Stonehenge?

My four-year-old daughter and I are arriving in Southampton on the Queen Mary 2 on Monday, May 22. I can handle all of our luggage so we can self-disembark at the earliest possible time. If we book a private transfer to Heathrow for a 1:50pm British Airways flight to Warsaw, do we have enough time for a quick stop at Stonehenge? TIA!

During May, Stonehenge doesn't open til 9.30am. :(

It's about an hour from Southampton so even with commuter traffic you'll comfortably make it by then if you disembark unassisted (likely to be about 7am).

You need about 90 minutes at Stonehenge.

Heathrow (Terminal 5?) is about 75 minutes from Stonehenge, so if you left at 11am you'd be at Heathrow about 12.15. Other terminals add 10 - 15 minutes to the journey time. BA's latest check-in time is likely to be less than an hour ahead of the flight but you really do need to allow a full hour from check-in for security & possibly a shuttle to the departures.

That only gives you a half-hour, perhaps less, of wiggle-time. Altho Stonehenge to Heathrow won't be a busy time of day, I'd be more comfortable with an hour of time to spare.

Depends whether you're prepared to zip round Stonehenge double-quick

If you choose to go for it, do pre-book your Stonehenge tickets for 9.30.

Go straight onto the shuttle from the visitor centre to the Stones, afterwards take a look-see round the visitor centre if you feel you have the time, and certainly depart Stonehenge 11am at the latest.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/stonehenge/#

It is possible to see the Stones from the main A303 road, but whether it's worth the diversion to Stonehenge for a fairly distant drive-by ?????........

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.1769034,-1.8254206,3a,75y,21.44h,86.3t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssSgcqWSbzC9UvEohdacCSg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

JB :)

IMO, no way would I ever try that. The last 3 times I've been through LHR to the US, the lines were massive. We were lucky that we had plenty of time. It took a good hour and 15 mins. to 1 hr. 30 mins. to get through the lines and out to our gate two of those times and boarding starts about 45 mins. before the departure time.

Early Sunday mornings are quieter if you'll be there then. Still, LHR is probably one of the biggest airports in the world and until you experience it, you don't realize how big and confusing it really is. Although you might have the time, it would be a stressful experience worrying about getting to the airport in time. If you aren't the worrying type, have good back up plans all planned out, don't mind potentially expensive changes, then go for it. I would never risk it. Not there.

• 2 weeks later...

No way, no way, no way. We drove from the southern end of Amesbury to Southampton Guild Hall a couple years ago and it was a nightmare with construction. What should have been a casual 45 minute ride took us almost 90 minutes--and those two points are closer than what you are suggesting.

Keep in mind that the rocks are not near the visitor center at Stonehenge. You need to buy your tickets and then take a bus to the rocks. That alone is a minimum 15 minutes if there is no line and the bus is waiting.