Denali tundra wilderness tour

drneal

I cruised with Princess and we did the land tour pre cruise.

We were scheduled to go on the Nature tour for 4-5 hours. It takes you 17 miles into the park.

I switched to the Tundra wilderness tour for 7-8 hours and takes you 53 miles into the park.

We saw EVERYTHING.

I spoke with others on the cruise that were not as happy with the nature tour.

It might be better if there are very young or older in your group.

Our group ranged from 8-50 and all did well. They gave a boxed lunch/snacks.

We did have to leave the lodge around 5 or 5:30AM (we were able to get breakfast at the lodge) and got back just in time to make our bus to the next lodge but it was worth it.

I did have to speak with the cruise tour about the busses prior to changing to the Wilderness tour.

We hope to do this also. We go Aug. 2017 so much too early to switch. I am hoping we have enough time as we arrive Aug 30 at 12:45 with the NHT leaving 2pm. We leave the next day at 2pm. I suppose best option may be try the 5am time on day we leave at 2pm. Unless there is a TWT leaving as late as 2pm.

I agree with drneal, the Tundra Wilderness Tour is the way to go. The tour to the 17 mile marker is almost a waste of time if you want to see anything other than rabbits and birds. We have done the TWT twice and saw many bears, moose, caribous, wolves, dall sheep. Most were at some distance so be sure to take binoculars.

We have also done the long tour, the Kantishna 12-hour tour and it was just a little too long for us (but we're old:D). The point of that trip, for us, was to get closer to the mountain and see its reflection in Wonder Lake and take some fabulous pictures, but the sky was too cloudy. We did see the mountain several other times during the trip. The 12-hour tour was interesting and I'm glad we did it but I would choose the TWT tour if we went back again.

No kidding. :) :) :) It's what the regulars on this board have always known. :)

as alternative suggestions. Princess, in the past, has refunded their Denali tours. I always suggest requesting this. Biggest benefit, YOU then can easily make any changes that your time allows- Simple solution to getting into the park, planned in advance, before you get there.

The TWT, "upgrade" , is the most costly option. IF anyone wants to consider no additional money- dependent- if Princess refunds, then the only choice to consider is the Eielson or Toklat shuttle bus. :) This would fit in with poster- 2's schedule. They would have to arrange transportation back to their lodging. It is ALWAYS recommended to have 2 nights at Denali on cruise tours, especially even more so- if the schedule has 2 nights at the McKinley Princess, overall, a very poor selection. Having 2 nights, it is super easy to take the Eielson shuttle- my minimum distance recommendation.

We just returned from our Alaska Land and Sea tour yesterday. We had a wonderful time on the Tundra Wilderness Tour. We were lucky as we had a clear day! Our guide (Jen) was excellent. This tour is very worthwhile in my opinion. Yes - we started early too....but that is apparently when you will have more luck with the wildlife.

For those of you who recently took the TWT, what was in the lunch box provided on the tour? We are taking the same tour next month and want to make sure we are well provisioned!

In early June it consisted of crackers & hummus, crackers & gouda cheese spread, packet of chocolate cheesecake cookies, slim jim style meat stick, and a packet of caramel popcorn.

My wife and I are "medium sized" folks and we were perfectly satisfied splitting a single box between us.

The driver also passed around a "share" bin for people to toss in the items they didn't want and take any extra stuff the did want. Our bus also had some extra boxes available. As far as I could tell nobody neared the brink of starvation before our return.

We hope to do this also. We go Aug. 2017 so much too early to switch. I am hoping we have enough time as we arrive Aug 30 at 12:45 with the NHT leaving 2pm. We leave the next day at 2pm. I suppose best option may be try the 5am time on day we leave at 2pm. Unless there is a TWT leaving as late as 2pm.

If you booked with Princess, you should contact them as early as possible to switch. If you booked through a TA, have them contact Princess. We booked our Tundra Wilderness Tour over a year out and they do sell out. Not sure you have time on your tour, though - ours left at around 6 AM and got back to the lodge about 3 PM. Typically they go a few times during the morning. Contact the resort directly, since their excursions desk would know when they are running this season. Your only other option would be to switch to a different cruise-tour package. We made sure we had two nights at Denali just for this.

Just wish we could have skipped the McKinley Lodge - way out in the middle of nowhere. Good place to see the mountain (one out of two for us) and northern lights (two out of two).

I cruised with Princess and we did the land tour pre cruise.

We were scheduled to go on the Nature tour for 4-5 hours. It takes you 17 miles into the park.

I switched to the Tundra wilderness tour for 7-8 hours and takes you 53 miles into the park.

We saw EVERYTHING.

I spoke with others on the cruise that were not as happy with the nature tour.

It might be better if there are very young or older in your group.

Our group ranged from 8-50 and all did well. They gave a boxed lunch/snacks.

We did have to leave the lodge around 5 or 5:30AM (we were able to get breakfast at the lodge) and got back just in time to make our bus to the next lodge but it was worth it.

I did have to speak with the cruise tour about the busses prior to changing to the Wilderness tour.

We just took the shuttler bus to Eielesen (spelling?) visitor center. I was wondering what is the difference between the shuttle bus and tour.

• 7 months later...

I was looking to book the Tundra Wilderness Tour through the reservedenali website because they charge $130 vs Princess charging $165. But the shuttle from the Princess Denali lodge only starts at 7am and the tour leaves from WAC at 7:10 am. Is it safe/advisable to be walking from the Lodge to WAC at 6am in September? Or just eat the extra cost?

I was looking to book the Tundra Wilderness Tour through the reservedenali website because they charge $130 vs Princess charging $165. But the shuttle from the Princess Denali lodge only starts at 7am and the tour leaves from WAC at 7:10 am. Is it safe/advisable to be walking from the Lodge to WAC at 6am in September? Or just eat the extra cost?

I normally advocate for walking. It's a flat easy trail next to the hwy, then a short cut thru the woods to the park road. About 30-40 minutes. But in Sept the sunrise isn't until 7:15 or 7:30am so I personally wouldn't feel comfortable walking in the dark (and rain), esp when you need to be at the Wilderness Access Center 1/2 hr prior.

And, with the TWT you don't know you're exact departure time until 48 hrs before.

i'd suggest taking the Eielson shuttle instead. At the time of booking you CHOOSE your departure time. In Sept it leaves about hourly. Have b'fast, take the 7am Princess shuttle to the park then catch 8am Eielson shuttle, or sleep another hour and catch the 9am Eielson shuttle! For only $45 !! Goes a little further into the park too ...the Eielson Visitor Center is a nice destination. You'll need to pick up a boxed lunch and drink for the ride .... most hotels and restaurants will make them up.

Hope this helps.

Edited by mapleleaves

Mapleleaves,

Thank you for your advise about walking vs not.walking.

Unfortunately based on the schedule of the tour I am taking, we transfer from Mt. McKinley Lodge to the Denali Lodge on Sept 14 and our free full day is on Sept. 15. It seems from the reservedenali site that the last day for both Toklat and Eielson shuttles is Sept. 14. Even though the travel time seems to be only 2 hrs, not knowing exactly when we will arrive at the Denali Lodge prevents me from reserving either of the shuttles on Sept. 14.

Does the Tundra Wilderness Trek and the Shuttles pretty much go on the same road? and it is just a matter of how far they travel? In which case I suppose there would be no reason to take a shuttle on Thursday and do the Tundra Trek the next day then.

yikes ! Bad timing for Alaska ..... loss of daylight and things start closing down after Labor Day, especially after the 10th. Plus the weather. I've experienced snow flurries in mid Aug during the Eielson shuttle.

If it takes 2 hrs to get to Denali, you must be arriving by bus. The train is 4 hrs.

I think your only option for getting into the park will be on Thu 9/14 ... the last Eielson shuttle is 12:30pm to 9:30. You'll make it back just as it getting dark. But then you'll need to see about availability of the after hours princess shuttle to pick you up or walk.

And yes, the shuttles and tours use the same road, and they stop at the same rest areas for potty breaks every 90 minutes, and stop for any wildlife sightings. The only differences .... the tour driver has a video/screen to zoom in on far away wildlife sightings, provides a scripted narration, and provides a snack and water.

On the 15th you could do the free sled dog demo. And take the courtesy shuttle to Savage River at Mile 16. Afer mid Aug the first 15 miles is good moose sighting due to the rut. Look at the park newsletter, Alpenglow for more info on both. It's in the HELPFUL RESOURCES thread.

Sorry to say it, but I'd reschedule. If you chose the shoulder season because it's cheaper, choose the other shoulder .... late May but plan for Denali after June 1 when you can at least get to Eielson.

Thank you again mapleleaves,

Too late to reschedule now since I've bought plane tickets already. I didn't contemplate the Alaskan climate sufficiently it seems, I could only take vacation later in the year and I didn't realize the season would be so short. But I will certainly take up the dog sledding and the park shuttles as you have suggested.

There is no Tundra Wilderness Tour on September 15. This is the first day of the Road Lottery. People from all over the country enter the lottery for a chance to drive their own cars on the Park Road for four days in the fall. The dates this year are Sept 15-18. After September 14, shuttle buses only go as far as Teklanika, which is around 30 miles into the park. The Tundra Wilderness Tour becomes the Teklanika Wilderness tour and turns around there as well.

So unless you can get on a TWT on the 14th, you won't have access very far into the park. Of course, you could always stand by the side of the road with your thumb out and a case of beer and you might get a ride all the way back to Kantishna. (no drinking and driving though)

reservedenali sells the TWT tour on that date (Sept.15). They still list the travel time as 7:10am to 3:10pm. Do you mean they don't tell customers till they arrive that they've signed up for an abbreviated tour for the same price. What do they do with the leftover time?

I should have taken an earlier sailing at the end of August. That one was $150 more per person for the inside cabin. I guess I'll just reserve the princess TWT on Sept.15. At least I'll get to see something. I'll consider it my "free" excursion. :)

reservedenali sells the TWT tour on that date (Sept.15). They still list the travel time as 7:10am to 3:10pm. Do you mean they don't tell customers till they arrive that they've signed up for an abbreviated tour for the same price. What do they do with the leftover time?

you're right .... the Eielson shuttle ends Sep 14 but the TWT doesn't end until the 15th. How odd.

But it's scheduled as the full TWT, to Stoney Hill at Mile 62. (the abbreviated tour is scheduled for late May.)

Here's the park newsletter to help you with other day's activities:

https://www.nps.gov/dena/learn/news/upload/Alpenglow2016.pdf

My apologies! It looks like they've changed the schedule this year and eliminated the Teklanika Tour all together.

I'm not sure why they have a TWT on September 15th because it is the first day of the road lottery and they usually don't mix buses and 400 private vehicles on the road.

Polychrome_Pass_bus.jpg

540x360.jpg

Okay, just spent almost an hour on the phone with Princess Cruise and also Reservedenali about Sept. 15. this is what they have

Princess: they don't offer Tundra Wilderness Tour on that day but they have a Teklanika tour offered through the Lodge. It leaves at 2 pm and gets back at 7 pm. Price is $85

Reservedenali offers the full Tundra Wilderness Tour for $130, one at 7:10am which I can't make since the Princess shuttle starts at 7 am and the second one at 1:30 pm that returns at 9:30pm (which means no shuttle back to Lodge either).

Both are still available at this time.

Is the longer tour worth the hassle of walking in the dark? (BTW sunset is 8:30 pm that day). Advice?

The Tek tour will only go to the Teklanika campground which is mile 29 or 30. Not very far into the park.

Of your options my first choice would be the 1:30 TWT tour on the 15th. (it will get you to mile 62 if the weather cooperates, otherwise it will turn around at Toklat, Mile 52)

- Princess often runs an after hours shuttle so that's something to ask about now or maybe you have to wait for the day of when they know how many guests are on your TWT tour. .

- it won't be pitch black at 9:30pm if you walk back, but it could be raining/snowing which would be a miserable 30-40 minutes

- the Denali Salmon Bake has had a shuttle in the past yrs for about $4. Don't know if it runs that late in the season, but check it out when they open for the season.

- there is an expensive taxi service in Denali. http://www.denalitaxishuttle.com/

My 2nd choice would be the 12:30 Eielson shuttle on the 14th. Can't Princess give you an idea of when you will leave Talkeetna?

Does your cruisetour end in Fairbanks or do you go back to Anc for the flight home? Another option would be to keep the cruise but cancel the land portion. If you're not comfortable driving, you can book the train and/or Park Connection Bus yourself. Skip Talkeetna on the way TO denali in order to gain an extra day and that gives you another day for shuttle or tour options into the park. ( you can stop in Talkeetna on the way back if it's a priority).

Thank you again mapleleaves, you have been so informative. I called Princess and the info is not favorable.

They apparently don't leave Mt. McKinley Lodge till noon and they take the rail (my mistake- I did not know there were two ways to get between the two lodges), so with another bus transfer after that they only get to Denali Lodge at 5 pm. I don't know why they don't leave in the morning- they said it was to let us enjoy the "Alaska Experience". Is there that much to experience around Mt. McKinley Lodge?

I was actually planning to squeeze in an upper Nenana rafting on that day if I could, but it raftdenali tells me they only do 10 am and 3 pm pickups that time of year so if I could not do that on Sept. 15 and still make any of the bus tours. I'll ask my companions if they are willing to do the night walk. I hope they enjoy it. (I wanted to go to Spain for vacation!)