Rome DIY - transportation?

Rwjx2

We'll be spending three days post-cruise in Rome. We are a group of 8. I have our itinerary set and most of our reservations made. I'm feeling overwhelmed by getting to and from the various areas. I know areas are walkable once we get to them. It's the getting from our rental to the tourist areas and back that is challenging right now. Any tips on planning public transportation in Rome?

As we don't know where your rental is, hard to give solid info. But Rome has a subway system, buses, taxis. So all the fairly common transport options of any major city. There are MANY threads on how to use them.

If your rental is further outside of town, train also comes into play.

Where (i.e., what area) is your rental? Can the person or agency you're renting from give you some instructions on getting into the historic area from where you will be?

The metro system is very easy to navigate, but it goes to limited places. Both metro and buses use the same interchangeable tickets, you can buy these at ticket machines in the metro stations, at tabaccherie (shops that sell tobacco products & other small items).

Buses are also pretty easy if you are comfortable with public transportation. Bus stops are signposted (in the centro storico, there will often be several buses that stop together at the same place), look at the signs and the stops are all listed.

If you plan your days well, you can be mostly on foot in the historic area.

We will be staying on Via Agostino near Via di San Fabiano. I'm not sure what area that is. I'm sorry I left that off in the original post. It was advertised as close to the Vatican. YMMV.

I've read lots of info on transportation in Rome but when I look at the options and every route has two buses and a metro to get to a destination, it feels complicated and overwhelming. I'm using the app Citymapper. If there's a better one, please, let me know. I've managed public transportation in several major cities so I know it can be done.

It's helpful to know the bus stop signs are posted with route numbers on the streets. That makes things easier.

Thanks for any practical help and encouragement you have to give.

Edited by Rwjx2

You are talking 3 days

Perhaps 6 trips into and out of Rome ?

8 people?

Ok so since I dont know the demographics of your group I'm going to suggest convenience and comfort over public transport.

Plan this as though you are booking transfers

Even if it's 75 to 100 E per ride that is more than reasonable per head (my estimate of cost is basing it on a typical transfer from fco into Rome and hopefully you are not staying in a real faraway area) if you are too far away perhaps you may want to come closer

Get dropped off in the morning near your first touring site

Pre arrange a pick up at you final site

Call the driver in advance to reconfirm the exact pick up time and location

Any of the transfer companies will have 9 seater vans I dont know if uber has them and if using regular taxi you would need 2 or perhaps 3 taxi

This is not an issue at all to use a transfer company.

Now....to the 1 or 2 posters that will totally disagree with me...because they travel solo or as a couple and insist on always diy...my point is...

It's only 3 days

They are a big group

Convenience and comfort might be a priority for them

Prearranging this will ease the headaches and stress

To the poster....others will tell you this is an expensive option...and it is...but if you break it down per head and per ride you may prefer the safety comfort and convenience of this option and see that it's just not cheap to transport 8 at times

Oh and yes Rome is safe....for those that will insist on pointing this out. Lol

I just saw that you are staying by the Vatican so if you choose not to use the metro...my plan is actually very reasonably priced

We paid 50e in 2012 to be driven from the piazza del popolo area to termini for 6 people in a 9 seater van

We did this because we are not crazy and we were not going to ride the metro packed like sardines with luggage at 8 am on a rush hour Tuesday primarily because we rode it at that time on Monday....lol I immediately sent Stefano of Rome cabs an email and you guessed it...he said I will have a driver there tomorrow morning 7:30 sharp....and there was one there. So easy and stress free.

It was money very well spent

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

Okay, I think you mean Via Agostino Valiero, right? It intersects with Via S. Fabiano.

The closest bus that will be helpful to you is the #982, which has a stop quite close. This bus will take you down to the Vatican and across the river, from there you can walk or switch to another bus line.

982 map here: http://viaggiacon.atac.roma.it/?service=trovalinea&linea=982&percorso=982AD#

You have a lot more options coming back up the hill to your accommodations, or going into town if you're willing to walk a little further to the bus stop on Via Gregorio VII.

The #98 brings you down the hill and across the river to the main part of Rome and back: http://viaggiacon.atac.roma.it/?service=trovalinea&linea=98&percorso=98R#

The #881 goes to the same place, although a tad more circuitously: http://viaggiacon.atac.roma.it/?service=trovalinea&linea=881&percorso=881AT

The #916 takes you further into the historic center: http://viaggiacon.atac.roma.it/?service=trovalinea&linea=916&percorso=916RT

We will be staying on Via Agostino near Via di San Fabiano. I'm not sure what area that is. I'm sorry I left that off in the original post. It was advertised as close to the Vatican. YMMV.

I've read lots of info on transportation in Rome but when I look at the options and every route has two buses and a metro to get to a destination, it feels complicated and overwhelming. I'm using the app Citymapper. If there's a better one, please, let me know. I've managed public transportation in several major cities so I know it can be done.

It's helpful to know the bus stop signs are posted with route numbers on the streets. That makes things easier.

Thanks for any practical help and encouragement you have to give.

Try Google maps. You can enter you start and end destination as well as the time you'd like to depart and it will give you very specific instructions on what bus or subway, walking directions to the stop, etc. Just click on the bus icon for public transportation instructions rather than automobile routes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Just an extra FYI...since you are staying near the vatican you could possibly plan 1 day totally in that area

Even walking perhaps

Get timed tix to the Vatican museum

Then of course spend some time in St Peters itself and perhaps those in your party that are interested can go up into the cupola

Then enjoy the piazza in front

Then walk out of the piazza and bear left and visit the Castal Sant Angelo (cash only btw) and great views from the rooftop garden

Walk along the Tiber. Walk across the Ponte Sant Angelo bridge and then a great meal of course

That's a full day right there and hopefully all in your party can do this on foot thus saving private transfer costs

Next day a drop off at say the piazza navona and then walk to the pantheon the Spanish steps the Trevi fountain

Maybe even a walk over to the colesieum. However the metro from Spanish steps to colesseo is a good quick ride option

Another thought is why not just pay around 400 e for a full day tour of Rome? We chose to do this when our kids were young and paid rome cabs 400E for 6 hours and oh boy did we see everything (not the the Vatican as we earmarked a different day)

Stefano himself took us to the tourist hotspots plus the out of the way incredible places. The mouth of truth. The keyhole. St. Peter's outside the walls. Plus a few other stops and also to the catacombs which are difficult to get to on your own no matter what anyone tells you. Lol. Plus with a private tour you go where you want and in our case Stefano was able to walk up and get colesieum tix for us with no wait...because he knows everyone and gets priority treatment. I saw this firsthand at the port too on embark and debark

You might want to consider this

Do vatican area one day

Do Rome tour another

3rd day for other great stuff too either on your own or by tour.

One thing to remember so you don't get overwhelmed with prices and logistics that no matter what the demographic of your group is you are still a headcount of 8 and that takes a different type of planning for sure

I'm good at planning for larger groups and the best advice I can give is to look at the situation realistically and be prepared to pay $$$ for convenience at certain times for peace of mind

While my family is totally able to use public transport and has lived in Rome for extended periods...I have not forgotten the beauty of convenience in transport either and know when to fold on price

If it were me ...just like I did on our first 3 day visit to Rome many years ago with a young family...I would just look for convenience and comfort

In subsequent trips when the kids were older or trips they took on their own...public transport was our first thought and it worked well

Now that my family is close to being totally launched and we don't always travel together and now we do different stuff when in Rome...and now that I'm not willing to walk as far or as late at night as before....we will uber/taxi stand for sure when need be

Private transfers as well

It's never about price any longer for me...it's about comfort and convenience now

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just an extra FYI...since you are staying near the vatican you could possibly plan 1 day totally in that area

Even walking perhaps

Get timed tix to the Vatican museum

Then of course spend some time in St Peters itself and perhaps those in your party that are interested can go up into the cupola

Then enjoy the piazza in front

Then walk out of the piazza and bear left and visit the Castal Sant Angelo (cash only btw) and great views from the rooftop garden

Walk along the Tiber. Walk across the Ponte Sant Angelo bridge and then a great meal of course

That's a full day right there and hopefully all in your party can do this on foot thus saving private transfer costs

Next day a drop off at say the piazza navona and then walk to the pantheon the Spanish steps the Trevi fountain

Maybe even a walk over to the colesieum. However the metro from Spanish steps to colesseo is a good quick ride option

Another thought is why not just pay around 400 e for a full day tour of Rome? We chose to do this when our kids were young and paid rome cabs 400E for 6 hours and oh boy did we see everything (not the the Vatican as we earmarked a different day)

Stefano himself took us to the tourist hotspots plus the out of the way incredible places. The mouth of truth. The keyhole. St. Peter's outside the walls. Plus a few other stops and also to the catacombs which are difficult to get to on your own no matter what anyone tells you. Lol. Plus with a private tour you go where you want and in our case Stefano was able to walk up and get colesieum tix for us with no wait...because he knows everyone and gets priority treatment. I saw this firsthand at the port too on embark and debark

You might want to consider this

Do vatican area one day

Do Rome tour another

3rd day for other great stuff too either on your own or by tour.

One thing to remember so you don't get overwhelmed with prices and logistics that no matter what the demographic of your group is you are still a headcount of 8 and that takes a different type of planning for sure

I'm good at planning for larger groups and the best advice I can give is to look at the situation realistically and be prepared to pay $$$ for convenience at certain times for peace of mind

While my family is totally able to use public transport and has lived in Rome for extended periods...I have not forgotten the beauty of convenience in transport either and know when to fold on price

If it were me ...just like I did on our first 3 day visit to Rome many years ago with a young family...I would just look for convenience and comfort

In subsequent trips when the kids were older or trips they took on their own...public transport was our first thought and it worked well

Now that my family is close to being totally launched and we don't always travel together and now we do different stuff when in Rome...and now that I'm not willing to walk as far or as late at night as before....we will uber/taxi stand for sure when need be

Private transfers as well

It's never about price any longer for me...it's about comfort and convenience now

My thinking as well

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's great if you can afford private transport, or if you are willing to trade off other expenditures for it, but no everyone is able to or wants to. Even more complicated, often in groups there are some who can/will and others who can't/won't, making for an uncomfortable situation.

Fortunately, if you prefer or need to use public transit, you've got good options in Rome. The #982 bus stop on Via S. Damaso for the bus headed into Rome is only one-tenth of a mile from the intersection of Via Agostino Valiero and Via S. Fabiano. The return bus stop is even closer, just around the corner.

The bus stop on Via Gregorio VII for the buses headed into town (98, 881, 916) is just a few steps beyond, not even two-tenths of a mile in total (just turn left onto Via Gregorio from Via S. Damaso and there's the bus stop).

Edited by euro cruiser

Thank you so much for all the input. Having bus numbers and knowing where to catch them is helpful.

Thursday we are planning a full day of sight seeing beginning at the Colosseum. We have tickets for the Friday night Vatican. Saturday we are planning to see some catacombs and the Apian way. I'm trying to cluster our sight seeing to make public transportation easier.

I appreciate the recommendations for taking a tour. We will look at our budget and discuss this option.

All ideas and suggestions are welcome. Planning for the 'trip of a lifetime' x8 is a lot of pressure. I appreciate getting experienced input!

With private tours the price should be divided by head and then each family unit pays their fair share

Over the years I've noticed that the cost of tours seems high because one person wants to cover the entire cost to be generous or whatever. Grandparent etc

I'm traveling with only 2 of my kids this time and you know what ? My gainfully employed very well paid 23 yo wouldn't think of having me pay her share. Even the high school kid kicked in for airfare

Are you shocked? Don't be

Too many times Ive heard parents

Say they can't send kids on a $250 school trip or to a particular camp or whatever due to cost

I ask if the kid has money in the bank and the answer is of course yes and lots of it from gifts etc...

That same parent denies their child an educational experience because the parent can't afford it and never thinks that perhaps $500 withdrawn from a 5 figure savings account might be the answer

Been there done that...college isn't going to suffer for $500 or $1000 spent now

Btw. Good luck doing the appian way and catacombs via public transport.

It exists but it wastes time

Take a taxi or uber and arrange for return

I'm doing this area again this summer but doing it in conjunction with a well priced walking tour of the Jewish ghetto and then a bus to the Appia antica All with a private guide.

Again I must stress that traveling as a group of 8 is entirely different than a solo or couple

You will be lucky at times to all fit in the same metro car

And honestly busses? As long as everyone can stand and protect their stuff I guess it's fine

My suggestion is walk when appropriate and private ride when not

It doesn't need to be a full day tour

Sometimes it's just needs a prearranged ride from a company that can provide a 9 seater van

Thank you so much for all the input. Having bus numbers and knowing where to catch them is helpful.

Thursday we are planning a full day of sight seeing beginning at the Colosseum. We have tickets for the Friday night Vatican. Saturday we are planning to see some catacombs and the Apian way. I'm trying to cluster our sight seeing to make public transportation easier.

I appreciate the recommendations for taking a tour. We will look at our budget and discuss this option.

All ideas and suggestions are welcome. Planning for the 'trip of a lifetime' x8 is a lot of pressure. I appreciate getting experienced input!

Lol btw. I've planned and executed our "trips of a lifetime". Yes I said trips. About 5 times now ...with excellent results

Trust me get a good budget for transport ...cut the stress and go for comfort and convenience

DIY is not always the best way especially in 100 degree weather.

You never gave the ages of your group though and that will make a difference

Are there youngins? Oldsters? Teens? 2 families? Makes a huge difference

You can actually take the metro from the Vatican right to the colesieum. I suggest you wait until after rush hour though. Seriously

From colesieum you can certainly walk to the sites

Also the catacombs you should pick one not some then enjoy walking around after that ( tour required in the catacombs btw) no roaming on your own down there.

You never gave the ages of your group though and that will make a difference

Are there youngins? Oldsters? Teens? 2 families? Makes a huge difference

One family. Two in 70s. Two in 40s. Four ranging from 12-20.

I'm one of the reviled "solo travelers" here, so please don't take my advice...

Some will boo my next suggestion, but I'm going to put it out there. Instead of using an expensive private service, use the plethora of HoHo busses to get around IF you don't want to do public transportation. Now, the HoHos don't get right up to the sights, they give drop-off points for you. You can do all the biggies from then without having the private driver. Lots of the "must sees" are in a very compact area - once you get there via transport, easily walkable around.

You are not coming into Rome for 5-6 hours off the ship, so you don't need to rush and cram (the reason I think many choose that private solution).

The evenings in Rome are definitely something to not miss! It is so much fun to just lull around Piazza Navona, Campo di Fiori, The Pantheon. Unless you are paying that private driver for 18 hours, you're going to have to do this one via cabs or busses. Sure, you may have to take 2 taxis to get everyone around, but still not that bad. Something that I always do - have slips of paper printed with the name and address of your hotel/BB/apartment. Give them to the taxi driver to get you home. They will know where the tourist spots and major hotels are, but anyplace else they will appreciate the address.

Oh, as for Uber - as far as I know, they are still banned...

One family. Two in 70s. Two in 40s. Four ranging from 12-20.

Ok so grandparents. Adult kids. And 4 grandkids I assume

The grands would be my only concern because the adult kids and grandkids can certainly deal well with public transport and lots of walking

We always did with out 4 kids no problem there

So the real question is the grands?

Can they handle the strain of waiting for busses and metro? The tunnels to the metro tracks. Can be long The busses can be crowded and late. The hoho can be intermittent.

Are there walking issues?

Breathing issues?

You get the idea

So if they are more on the athletic healthy adventurous side by all means go for public transport

However you did say it was the trip if a lifetime so does that mean your group is not well traveled?

Or

Does this group travel well?

Are the grands excited?

Are there any complaints being voiced now?

Such as ...will it be to hot? Crowded? Polluted?

Point is that you know how your group operates Day to day and only you know if they are easy going or not

Only you know if the grands have any health issues.

I know myself and my family so well that I know when to "fold them and when to hold them". Lol

I also know that when you X 8. The cost of public transport is not so cheap

Case in point ....fiumicino to Rome by train versus private ride becomes vote for the private ride once you are more than 3

Once you are 70 years old..Rome in July at 100 degrees becomes a vote for the air conditioned 9 seater private van

If you think in terms of the above questions and not just in terms if $$$ the answers become clear

Again you are a family of 8 and honestly a solo traveler just cannot understand the complications that brings out

Fwiw...go for comfort and convenience when appropriate

Wow and wow. Wow (in a good way) Slidergirl, it takes guts to recommend the HOHO around here!

And luvtheships, it must be nice to be so sure that yours is the one and true way to live life. The rest of us generally acknowledge that intelligent, thoughtful people can tally up the same set of facts and still come to different conclusions.

We've certainly given the OP plenty of information and lots of opinion to work with to figure out what works best for their family and their situation.

Edited by euro cruiser

To those that travel solo and couple....do you even understand what it takes to travel as a group of 8?

The luggage logistics alone are mind boggling and might even make a 9 seater van out of the question for a transfer

When you can say that you have been the lead traveler/planner for a family of 6 or 8....like I have. Even many times...then you will understand ok

This family absolutely must consider all methods of transport and must recognize that it may AT TIMES be costly for them

Just for fun...how do you suggest they get to Rome from the ship?

2 grands 2 parents 4 young adult/adult kids...on their trip of a lifetime ...with probably more luggage than they will ever need?

Fwiw me and mine only travel with 20 inch roll on and totes...

Also hank mrs hank and slideperson...guess what I've done DIY ....I've walked all over...I've driven all over...just me and my mother...several times...

But I've also traveled with kids several times and to very far off locations too

Ages 7 to 17. Ages 12 to 23 and now ages 16 to 26

Dh has aged as well as me since our trips to Italy with a 7 yo and extended length cruises...

Arthritis has set in for me in my knee too so now I know NOT to do certain things and know WHEN to queue up at the REAL taxi stands and when to have a private driver waiting for us

So you certainly go along for the next 40 years of your travels DIY...as I will too...but never let it be said that I dont know when to go for comfort and convenience...because I'm not trying to prove a point...I'm just pragmatic and know the limitations of travel in a large group

To the op....please examine your personal family dynamic and do what you know you can do as a group of 8

If that means public transport then go for it...but understand a group of 8 is not small on a bus and someone will stand and the metro can be a sardine can at times.

If that means walking...I think this is great!!!

If it means having your hotel call 2 cabs for you then do it but make sure they follow each other

If it means paying 400e for a 6 hour tour that will take you around in a/c then go for it

But honestly I've done it all and the best is a combo of all methods...as the situation dictates

It's not ever going to be cheap traveling as a family of 8 but I'm really hoping that at least the cost is being split 2 ways. Now if the grands or the adult parents are trying to treat all....and are budget restricted...I can't comment other than perhaps it's time to sit down and look at the finances and discuss pooling funds...

Edited by luvtheships

I'm one of the reviled "solo travelers" here, so please don't take my advice...

Some will boo my next suggestion, but I'm going to put it out there. Instead of using an expensive private service, use the plethora of HoHo busses to get around IF you don't want to do public transportation. Now, the HoHos don't get right up to the sights, they give drop-off points for you. You can do all the biggies from then without having the private driver. Lots of the "must sees" are in a very compact area - once you get there via transport, easily walkable around.

You are not coming into Rome for 5-6 hours off the ship, so you don't need to rush and cram (the reason I think many choose that private solution).

The evenings in Rome are definitely something to not miss! It is so much fun to just lull around Piazza Navona, Campo di Fiori, The Pantheon. Unless you are paying that private driver for 18 hours, you're going to have to do this one via cabs or busses. Sure, you may have to take 2 taxis to get everyone around, but still not that bad. Something that I always do - have slips of paper printed with the name and address of your hotel/BB/apartment. Give them to the taxi driver to get you home. They will know where the tourist spots and major hotels are, but anyplace else they will appreciate the address.

Oh, as for Uber - as far as I know, they are still banned...

No one is suggesting an 18 hour private driver so honestly no need for that comment

Also yes...2 cabs have been suggested so glad you agree with me

To those that travel solo and couple....do you even understand what it takes to travel as a group of 8?

The luggage logistics alone are mind boggling and might even make a 9 seater van out of the question for a transfer

When you can say that you have been the lead traveler/planner for a family of 6 or 8....like I have. Even many times...then you will understand ok

This family absolutely must consider all methods of transport and must recognize that it may AT TIMES be costly for them

Just for fun...how do you suggest they get to Rome from the ship?

2 grands 2 parents 4 young adult/adult kids...on their trip of a lifetime ...with probably more luggage than they will ever need?

Fwiw me and mine only travel with 20 inch roll on and totes...

Also hank mrs hank and slideperson...guess what I've done DIY ....I've walked all over...I've driven all over...just me and my mother...several times...

But I've also traveled with kids several times and to very far off locations too

Ages 7 to 17. Ages 12 to 23 and now ages 16 to 26

Dh has aged as well as me since our trips to Italy with a 7 yo and extended length cruises...

Arthritis has set in for me in my knee too so now I know NOT to do certain things and know WHEN to queue up at the REAL taxi stands and when to have a private driver waiting for us

So you certainly go along for the next 40 years of your travels DIY...as I will too...but never let it be said that I dont know when to go for comfort and convenience...because I'm not trying to prove a point...I'm just pragmatic and know the limitations of travel in a large group

To the op....please examine your personal family dynamic and do what you know you can do as a group of 8

If that means public transport then go for it...but understand a group of 8 is not small on a bus and someone will stand and the metro can be a sardine can at times.

If that means walking...I think this is great!!!

If it means having your hotel call 2 cabs for you then do it but make sure they follow each other

If it means paying 400e for a 6 hour tour that will take you around in a/c then go for it

But honestly I've done it all and the best is a combo of all methods...as the situation dictates

It's not ever going to be cheap traveling as a family of 8 but I'm really hoping that at least the cost is being split 2 ways. Now if the grands or the adult parents are trying to treat all....and are budget restricted...I can't comment other than perhaps it's time to sit down and look at the finances and discuss pooling funds...

It's funny how you jump to such conclusions yourself, yet chastise others for the same thing.

I happen to know that euro cruiser has arranged tours for large family groups, including older adults in wheelchairs and also kids of varying ages.

Just because I travel solo sometimes does not mean that I always have/do.

Some of us just try to answer the original poster's questions without injecting insults, sarcasm, or defensiveness in every sentence....

I've been the organizer and leader for several group ski trips in the US, and trips to Europe, from a group of friends to sports teams. We did trains, planes, taxis, and automobiles, so I am aware of group dynamics when doing transportation, activities, and dining.

You were saying to hire a driver to go around Rome - if they wanted to sample Roman life at night at one of the popular and famous piazzas, they would either have to keep that driver for transport or do a bus, taxis, or Metros. No need to get snarky.

To get from Rome to the ship: If they have a crapload of luggage, do a private service. It's probably the one time that I recommend a service over the train. If each person cannot easily handle their own luggage while walking or lift it 3 feet off the ground, they should not do the train.

Hank - yes I said it was a bold move for the Ho Ho. But, that ticket for a full day or even 2 days may be a simple solution. The older kids could strike out on their own if they get bored with the 'rents and grands if they wanted to go do other things. If the grands get tired, they can just stay on the Ho Ho and do a little sightseeing from a distance. I don't like Ho Hos, but I've done two - one in Paris on my last day and it was my first day out as I had come down with the flu day one. I wanted to see as much as I could, but there was no way I was in the mood to take the Metro and walk around on a cold, rainy February day. One in Rome the last time I was there. I was feeling really tired and run down, but I wanted to be out and about rather than hang at the hotel. I drove around, sitting on the top in the sun, and it did make me feel better.

God, I hope I will still be doing DIY around the world for the next 40 years - I'm 63 now ;-)

Hey Cruisemom - are you still on that cruise in the Med??? Is it so boring that you have to get on CC??? ;-) (you know I'm kidding - I hope you are enjoying it! My dog is still sick, but my vet is not ready to call it quits. I would be been debarking in Vancouver today)

Hey Cruisemom - are you still on that cruise in the Med??? Is it so boring that you have to get on CC??? ;-) (you know I'm kidding - I hope you are enjoying it! My dog is still sick, but my vet is not ready to call it quits. I would be been debarking in Vancouver today)

Got off the cruise and have been in Malaga the last couple of days. I'm flying home today -- three flights; ugh!

I appreciate all the options to consider. I think we'll be going the public transportation route knowing that we can catch a cab if need be. Everyone in our group is in good health. Some move more quickly than others but we don't have walking or breathing problems. We've all traveled a fair amount but these destinations with this particular family group probably won't happen again thus "trip of a lifetime".

Based on past travels, we booked private transport to and from the cruise ship and airport when we made our cruise and flight plans. The convenience of being picked up with our luggage and taken to our destination when we need to stick to a schedule is worth the cost.

For our three days in Rome, your information and advice about public transportation options has me feeling good about getting around. Thanks also for the suggestion of keeping the address of our apartment to give a driver. I'll definitely be doing that. It's not something I would have thought of on my own. Riding the buses/trains/subways in various cities is part of what I love about traveling. I feel like you catch the rhythm of a city when you ride the bus/metro and walk without a schedule down the streets.

I am still looking at options for a catacomb visit.

Edited by Rwjx2