All Things Charleston 411

ChucktownSteve

Hi. Thanks so much for the info on the area I'm staying in Charleston 5/13-14/17. Do I need to wait until that 8:30 9am time frame even on a Sunday 5/14/17 to avoid rush hour? Secondly would you recomend Uber as the best way to get to the cruise terminal from the airport after dropping my rental car off at the airport the morning of 5/15/17. Really appreciate all the feedback you've provided. Looking forward to visiting South Carolina and Charleston for the first time. Thanks.

Hi. Thanks so much for the info on the area I'm staying in Charleston 5/13-14/17. Do I need to wait until that 8:30 9am time frame even on a Sunday 5/14/17 to avoid rush hour? Secondly would you recomend Uber as the best way to get to the cruise terminal from the airport after dropping my rental car off at the airport the morning of 5/15/17. Really appreciate all the feedback you've provided. Looking forward to visiting South Carolina and Charleston for the first time. Thanks.

Nope, won't be a problem on a Sunday. Any time will be good. A lot of people like Uber. If you are one of them, then it's a good option. Check out the rates for the Charleston Airport Limo Association and compare what Uber would cost. No waiting for those passenger vans. They line up just outside the baggage claim area. But you will ride with others. Then you make an informed decision.

We hope you'll have a great Charleston experience and return.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

We are leaving out of Charleston, plan on parking at port authority and I have seen mixed post about the walking vs riding. Can you park and walk to the terminal? Or do you have to ride the bus? Also would it be better for one of us to drop our group off and luggage at the terminal then go park or would that be a bigger hassle. I've just had luggage not make it to our room before.... thanks!

We are leaving out of Charleston, plan on parking at port authority and I have seen mixed post about the walking vs riding. Can you park and walk to the terminal? Or do you have to ride the bus? Also would it be better for one of us to drop our group off and luggage at the terminal then go park or would that be a bigger hassle. I've just had luggage not make it to our room before.... thanks!

You cannot walk up to the terminal. If you drop them off before the luggage, they will have to wait at the canopy on Concord at Market for the shuttle van to take them the 150 yards to the terminal. Once you enter the luggage drop off lot you drive forward to the parking line. The luggage in Charleston is handled by the teamsters union porters; not the cruise line.

Here's the phone number for lost luggage Intercruises Shoreside and Port Services (Lost Luggage)

Charles Buzille 843–958-8255

Hi. Flying into Charleston Sat 5/13/17 arriving late afternoon. Have a room booked at the Hawthorne Suites in N Charleston Northwoods Blvd for 2 nights prior to my cruise departure date on the 15th. Have read staying in N Charleston may not be the best idea for just that 1 arrival night plus 1 other full day thought I would just stick with it? Ended up booking a 1 hour carriage ride with Old South Carriage Co plus the 90 minute harbor tour on Mothers Day 5/14/17. Likely most restaurants extremely busy that day. Was looking at Hyman's restaurants website claims to be really popular with tourists I fall into that category. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Food is subjective. I happen to like Hyman's, especially the whole crispy flounder. I, too, thought it was just a tourist trap until my son worked there in college. We gave it a try and found it changed from years ago. That said, we also love Coast on John Street for excellent seafood. Hopefully you got an excellent rate at that Hawthorne. I have nothing against the area but if you're planning on spending the day downtown I would think a place nearer the airport or downtown would make more sense...

Hi. Thanks Medtech for your response. Got a rate of right around $200 plus tax at the Hawthorne Suites there in N Charleston. Did quite a bit of researching looked to be a pretty good price for 2 nights stay. Have read good and bad about Hymans restaurant but will certainly keep the name you provided as a option. Being Mothers Day Sunday 5/14/17 that the wife and I will be downtown Charleston if anything like out here in Arizona every restaurant will likely be crowded. Thanks again.

Morebeer, do you have to eat downtown? If you're looking for seafood, see if you can still get a reservation at Water's Edge on Shem Creek in Mount Pleasant. We ate there Friday night on the enclosed porch overlooking the creek and other restaurants. You might also check with Okra Grill in Mount Pleasant. Both have very good food. Both are very busy with locals as well. A lot of people like Vickery's on Shem Creek overlooking the creek and marsh.

Morebeer, do you have to eat downtown? If you're looking for seafood, see if you can still get a reservation at Water's Edge on Shem Creek in Mount Pleasant. We ate there Friday night on the enclosed porch overlooking the creek and other restaurants. You might also check with Okra Grill in Mount Pleasant. Both have very good food. Both are very busy with locals as well. A lot of people like Vickery's on Shem Creek overlooking the creek and marsh.

And as long as you're looking at the Shem Creek area in Mt. Pleasant, Tavern & Table is a favorite of mine, and across the street, Shelter is very popular for weekend brunch, as is Coleman Public House just down the street.

Hi. Just wanted to say a huge Thank You to Chucktown Steve, Waterbug123, and Medtech2 for all there posts and suggestions to help me with my first ever visit to Charleston SC next month 5/13-14/2017. For the three of them I have taken down all there idea's as to where to possibly eat rather then Hyman's that I had looked at. I will have a rental car so can get anywhere needed for dinner on Sunday 5/14/17. I have my carriage ride scheduled for 11am with Old South Carriage and then the 90 minute harbor tour at 1:30 so not exactly sure what time I'd b getting to dinner not knowing the area but still likely after brunch will have already passed.

Hi. Just wanted to say a huge Thank You to Chucktown Steve, Waterbug123, and Medtech2 for all there posts and suggestions to help me with my first ever visit to Charleston SC next month 5/13-14/2017. For the three of them I have taken down all there idea's as to where to possibly eat rather then Hyman's that I had looked at. I will have a rental car so can get anywhere needed for dinner on Sunday 5/14/17. I have my carriage ride scheduled for 11am with Old South Carriage and then the 90 minute harbor tour at 1:30 so not exactly sure what time I'd b getting to dinner not knowing the area but still likely after brunch will have already passed.

You're very welcome. Charleston is a wonderful place to live and a wonderful place to visit, and I hope you enjoy your time here. If you're like most people who visit, you'll end up wanting to come back again. ;)

One quick note: Even if you have a car, don't rule out Uber for going to/from dinner, especially if you decide to head over to Mt. Pleasant. Uber is readily available in the evenings, saves the hassle of navigating unfamiliar roads and parking, and if you enjoy wine or cocktails with dinner, well, enough said. I'm local and I take Uber all the time for evenings out with friends.

Oops, another quick note: If you DO go over to the Shem Creek area for dinner, allow time for a casual drink before dinner at Red's Ice House. It's super casual, and extremely popular with the younger set, but still a great place to grab a drink. It's right on the creek with lots of outdoor areas on multi-levels. Go up high for a really great view. You can watch folks arrive by boat for a drink, see the shrimp boats tied up, and often see kayakers, paddle boarders and pelicans going by in the creek. Red's is right beside Tavern & Table and right across the creek from Water's Edge. There's also an outdoor bar area at each of those places, but it's always fun to hit more than one spot, even if just for a quick drink.

what is patriot point??

Since so many people inquire about Patriots Point and I have a background with advertising companies, I thought I would try something.

I called their Marketing Director and explained Cruise Critic then asked if she'd be willing to offer Cruise Critic Charleston visitors a discount. She agreed.

Patriots Point is willing to give a $3 off each regular adult admission with a promo code used on their web site to purchase tickets. She said the code would expire Dec. 31, 2018 but the discount would not be valid on Senior, Military or Child tickets because they're already discounted.

Use promo code: PPCC2017. It should be working in a couple of days.

Other area tourist coupons can be found at the Charleston CVB web site and Traveler of Charleston Magazine.

what is patriot point??

Patriots Point is a Naval & Maritime Museum with the WWII aircraft Carrier USS Yorktown (the 10th carrier built for the U.S.), the destroyer USS Laffey "the ship that would not die" because of the attacks on it during WWII, the cold war diesel sub USS Clamagore, the official Medal of Honor Museum, an almost three acre Vietnam exhibit and a couple dozen historic aircraft.

http://www.patriotspoint.org/

It's one of the largest South Carolina attractions in size and attendance. Admission to all the exhibits is $22 per adult.

(The first USS Yorktown, CV5, was sunk as a result of the battle of Midway.)

HELP with hotels that we can stay overnight, with parking??

I have been to several websites and feel overwhelmed and not know what hotel to pick.

any thoughts suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

Personally we liked the Mainstay Suites in Mt. Pleasant. It was just across the bridge from downtown. $100-$150 a night for a 2bd/2ba/kitchen/den and they let us park the car there free for the week. $15 for an Uber to the cruise terminal.

As you've all been going on about eateries lately, any recommendations for places near the Embassy Suites on Meeting St? Not looking for anywhere flash, just a decent pub type place. (Wife doesn't like Italian!).

Simon

There are plenty restaurants on King Street, one block from Meeting Street where your hotel is. Here is a googlemaps link. I hope it works. Tons of restaurants.

https://www.google.com/search?q=king+stree+charleston+restaurant&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=king+street+charleston+restaurant&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=32789213,-79938629,108&tbm=lcl&tbs=lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e1!2m1!1e3!3sEAE,lf:1,lf_ui:9&rlfi=hd:;si:;mv:!1m3!1d1087.4791797748842!2d-79.93698113305055!3d32.78821148027327!3m2!1i946!2i498!4f13.1;tbs:lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e1!2m1!1e3!3sEAE,lf:1,lf_ui:9

On John Street, right behind Hampton Inn, is Coast (down the alley) http://www.holycityhospitality.com/coast-bar-and-grill/ and 39 Rue de Jean http://www.holycityhospitality.com/39-rue-de-jean-charleston/

Thats great Steve...thanks a lot. BTW, looked at a few sample menus...over here Hush Puppies are a brand of shoe. Do you want to give me a clue?

Simon

Yeah we have those shoes here. However that's so 1960's although they still sell them. hahaha

The hushpuppies you eat are fried cornmeal balls . According to some stories, the Charleston houses had a detached kitchen. The servants carried the food from the kitchen to the house for dinner. But the dogs kept following and barking. So, as the story goes, the servants created the balls of fried cornbread and threw them to the dogs to keep them quiet...saying hush puppy. The kids supposedly liked them too.

However if you've ever used google, you could find this web site which claims to know the real history of Hushpuppies. http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/real-history-myths-hushpuppies.html

Hmm...a good story, but sounds a bit 'schmaltzy'! Thanks for the heads up.

Simon

No idea as to the validity of the "hush puppy" story, but as Steve said, in the culinary world hush puppies are fried balls of corn meal batter. Pretty basic, but different places will sometimes season them differently, etc. They are extremely common in the south, especially as an accompaniment to seafood meals. :)

Love me some "hush puppies"... Regardless of the story, personally I think the ones with "hushing" dogs to be the best.

I do know my dogs love 'em, but they sure do love some steamed oysters as well!

Thanks for the wonderful story.

Hey, looking to hear opinions on best BBQ on the Mt Pleasant side. I've read good things on Melvins and Stick Fingers, any others I'm missing?

You might consider Fiery Ron's Home Team BBQ on Sullivan's Island. http://hometeambbq.com/menus/sullivans-menu/ Their other locations are downtown and West Ashley.

Check out TripAdvisor for all three and see what others say. I suspect that probably more people will say it's superior to the other two you mentioned. Although I wouldn't say they're bad.

I live in Mt. Pleasant, so most familiar with places on that side of the greater Charleston area. New place just opened on Coleman Blvd called Smoke. I've been twice, and have really enjoyed the pulled pork. Haven't had any wings or ribs or anything so can't comment, but overall people are giving the place really good reviews. Also Momma Brown's out Hwy 17 north. They were in another location years ago, closed for a number of years, then reopened a couple years ago in this new location.

Haven't been to Melvin's or Bessinger's in years but they are generally pretty good. Sticky Fingers is more like a "fern bar;" just doesn't have the atmosphere of a "BBQ joint" if you know what I mean.

General BBQ caveat: There are as many ways of doing BBQ and BBQ sauce as there are people on earth. Some people hear BBQ and think pork, others think wings, others think beef brisket etc. Similarly some think only vinegar based BBQ sauce is "authentic," others say mustard based, others say tomato based, etc. No one is right, no one is wrong; it depends on what part of the country you're from and your own preferences. But it can be impossible to find a BBQ place that everyone agrees is the best, or even good. Go with an open mind, wherever you decide to go. ;)

Hey, looking to hear opinions on best BBQ on the Mt Pleasant side. I've read good things on Melvins and Stick Fingers, any others I'm missing?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

I love both. Melvin's is more like a fast food place and Sticky Fingers is table service. The folks at the Mount Pleasant Sticky Fingers will bend over backwards for you--they go above and beyond. They made my husband's birthday dinner very special, without me asking for anything. They're just good people.

I know you said Mount Pleasant but we have also been to Lewis's that just opened on Nassau Street downtown. Their beef brisket is to die for but be warned it is by the pound and easy to over order. We dropped $100 without really trying.

Our favorite local hangout is Smoky Oak on James Island, because of the tremendous beer selection and family party vibe, but lately we have been giving Sticky Fingers a lot of our attention as the original owners have re-taken over it's operation.